What's new

Feeding Sugar Near the End

spurr

Veteran
this is from someone's class notes

I'm not really sure what all that means lol. Bit I am pretty sure CO2 has to be in a liquid state to make sugar (and acid rain).

It means Co2 + water = carbonic acid. Co2 is in gas form to make acid rain; carbonic acid. That is why in areas of high air pollution, ex., Co2, you get acid rain.

the page you posted tho...ugh, supports my version of events, not yours. Here's a grade ten lesson plan from ohio that exlpains why. . It's simply called "bacteria change the earth's atmosphere". No whining about the source, I'm sure Ohio has a good chief scientist ;)
We are not in disagreement, I am not sure why you think we are. I never claimed you were wrong about microbes and Co2 when the earth was very young. My point was, and is, that forest fires and volcanoes were a major source of Co2 (that was trapped in carbon); and that is 100% correct. My point is also that today, forest fires, and to a lessor extent volcanoes and soil respiration, are natural sources of Co2. I only wrote about them to answer your question re the source of Co2 in the atmosphere...I wasn't trying to go back to the dawn of time ;)

spurr

Veteran
#4 direct injection intercellularly probably only by fungi but we don't know everything yet.

Great point, thanks, I missed that one. I also forgot about the ions provided by microbes in the phyllosphere that leaves can absrob as fertilizer. I probaly forgot a few other sources too...

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Great point, thanks, I missed that one. I also forgot about the ions provided by microbes in the phyllosphere that leaves can absrob as fertilizer. I probaly forgot a few other sources too...

Duh! me too... of course there is also the sun

grapeman

Veteran
What kind of nematodes Grapeman? (eg bacterial, root, feeders)

root feeders.

Back in the 1970's, before I started my own gig, my father played the commodities market. He was very long on sugar. Sugar prices fell to a point that it was a very substantial loss.

So, as you know, you can always take delivery of the commodity, I started looking for ways to use truckloads of sugar and fell upon research that showed that hugh amounts of it will work as a anti nematicide. In those days, I had to go to the library at UCDavis for research papers.

There was no cut and paste. LOL

We used DBCP back then for nematodes. Stupid workers at Lathrop CA were eating their lunches on top of 50 gal drums of DBCP and they became temporarily sterile.

EPA pulled the product, workers sperm count returned to normal and the farmers lost a decent product.

http://books.google.com/books?id=C6...&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false