What's new

FDA releases anti-vaping ads to air on ESPN, MTV

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is releasing its first anti-vaping television ads Monday targeting teens as part of its “The Real Cost” Youth E-Cigarette Prevention Campaign. A statement said ads will run on ESPN, TeenNick, CW and MTV, along with music sites and social media.
The ads, titled “Magic,” feature street magician Julius Dein turning teens’ vapes into cigarettes. Dein’s YouTube channel has almost 800,000 subscribers, his Twitter has over 80,000 followers and he’s appeared in videos with several celebrities, according to the FDA.
“Did you know that if you vape, you are more likely to start smoking cigarettes?” Dein asks a stunned group of young people after the e-cigarette in one teen’s hand disappears and is replaced by a traditional cigarette. “It’s not magic, it’s statistics.”
The ad campaign seeks to take advantage of modern teens’ antipathy toward cigarettes, with just 8.1% of high school students reporting they smoked cigarettes over the previous 30 days in 2018, as compared to 15.8% in 2011, according to the CDC. But that decline in traditional cigarette smoking has come with an uptick in vaping. From 2011 to 2018, the number of high schoolers who reported e-cigarette use in the last 30 days jumped from 1.5% to 20.8%.
“The troubling epidemic of youth vaping threatens to erase the years of progress we’ve made combating tobacco use among kids,” said acting FDA Commissioner Dr. Ned Sharpless, “and it’s imperative that our work to tackle this immensely concerning trend continue to include efforts to educate our nation’s youth about the dangers of these products.”
The FDA will also distribute posters for high school bathrooms in the upcoming school year with anti-vaping messages.
“You might as well flush your lungs while you’re at it,” one poster says. “Vaping can deliver toxic metal particles like nickel, lead and chromium directly into your lungs.”
The FDA’s newest push comes after San Francisco became the first major US city to ban the sale of vapes until they undergo required FDA review and as the federal regulators are getting tougher on e-cigarette companies.
in a release earlier this month, Sharpless said the FDA issued almost 4,000 warning letters and over 665 fines to retailers selling products to minors and took action against more than 15 firms that were selling e-liquid flavors targeted at kids between April 2018 and April 2019.
“We cannot allow the next generation of young people to become addicted to nicotine because of e-cigarettes,” he said.
https://nypost.com/2019/07/23/fda-releases-anti-vaping-ads-to-air-on-espn-mtv/

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
must be nice to have a govt agency in your back pocket to ban your competition
I would like to know when the change occurred. Any tobacco or vaping commercial is forbidden on TV, the same as advertisements.

One kid in front of congress, I'm glad they gave the presentation (Juul) it made me feel a lot better, knowing that the product is safe. Safer yes, Safe no! Not only that, these a$$holes are promoting health benefits.

rolandomota

Veteran
Nicotine addiction is so retarded why use some bullshit that does nothing but make you sick? Smoke some cigarettes like weed I promise you that you will regret it if not keep smoking it hard until you get sick and feel like shit and can't move for an hour then come tell me how much you love cigs

CaptainDankness

You would think people wouldn't vape antifreeze anyway. I would expect cancer from antifreeze would come before nicotine.

But hey, vaping causes cervical cancer in men.

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
You would think people wouldn't vape antifreeze anyway. I would expect cancer from antifreeze would come before nicotine.

But hey, vaping causes cervical cancer in men.
Don't get sick then. Hospitals use Propylene Glycol; at 10% in their air filtration systems. It's anti fungal. Been vaping for 9 years. I use to get a couple colds a year. Haven't caught a cold since 2010.

Don't believe the govt bullshit you have been ingesting!!!

G

Gauss

Also make sure to get your cervix exam at 50 in any case. Don't let it surprise you fellas, lol.