What's new

Faulty HM digital EC/TDS/Temp COM-100

bigpeter

I bought this test meter a few years ago and until recently its worked well, but I noticed that its giving a wrong temperature reading, like 145 F. I tried to calibrate it but get flashing ERR message on screen. Anyone else got one of these test meters? This meter is equipped with automatic temperature compensation and seeing as temperature greatly affects tds readings means the meter is f****d.

picture.php

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
We are in a consumer society = repair by replacement :(

We no longer live in a society where things last for ever, like my father's old 1/4" drill, which weighs a ton but, works like the day it was bought over 60 years ago.

Unfortunately, things that last do not stimulate the economy, when the gov't keeps printing money!

ButterflyEffect

Yep. I'm on my second one in 5 years. I bought a probe for the first one, but it didn't fix the issue. You tried batteries, yes?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
If the room dropped 10 degrees would it say 135? If so it still works. Just not as a thermometer.

It's done some service. The membrane switch has fractured. So water can get in.

bigpeter

Yep. I'm on my second one in 5 years. I bought a probe for the first one, but it didn't fix the issue. You tried batteries, yes?

Yes tried batteries but didn't fix it, thought about getting a new probe but after reading your post I'm glad I didn't.

If the room dropped 10 degrees would it say 135? If so it still works. Just not as a thermometer.

It's done some service. The membrane switch has fractured. So water can get in.

I tried using cold water from the freezer and still got a high temperature reading. I've also noticed that its reading a drop in tap water ppm from its normal 300ppm to 140ppm. I doubt the tap water ppm is changing so for peace of mind I've ordered another.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Double the temp, half the ec. Sounds like the internal voltage reference if uses is off. An issue with the body not the probe. All a complicated way of saying scrap.

Not thought about a truncheon ? No calibration and last decades. Good to stir in what you just added to. I couldn't be without one.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Order two of everything when you buy meters, so you can be ready to exchange a broken one quickly.