What's new

Farm Life With Snype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snype

Veteran
Agreed, definitely dig the paper bag method. Probably worth pointing out that seasonal conditions (winter, summer) play a big factor in how often to check back/how open to leave the bags. Great method!

Snype, do you use any sort of hygrometer to measure RH within the containers once you seal 'em up?

Great stuff per always in here

Never used a hygrometer in my life for this. I just use my feel and knowledge. I'd actually be interested in using one just to see where I'm actually at.

Crooked8

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive used them after i already knew how to feel when everything was proper and its pretty much spot on. If you allow the outsides to get slightly crisp and then seal them up the moisture evens out. With the hygrometer the goal is to never exceed 65% rh or go below 55%. 60% being the ideal sweat. Id bet you're right there.

Snype

Veteran
Ive used them after i already knew how to feel when everything was proper and its pretty much spot on. If you allow the outsides to get slightly crisp and then seal them up the moisture evens out. With the hygrometer the goal is to never exceed 65% rh or go below 55%. 60% being the ideal sweat. Id bet you're right there.
Lately I've been thinking about this. What about if I built a room that was a harvest/dry room that was always at the perfect humidity (whatever that may be) and just left to cure hanging or just in the room in some sort of boxes or chambers. I remember 10 years ago when I just left a crop hanging for more than 6 months and just left them. Just didn't care and for got about them. Well about 9 months later I went into the walk in closet and looked at them and was like, "oh shit, it's not even bone/crispy dry". So I trimmed them and smoked a joint and couldn't believe how good it was. It moved very fast. Didn't even realize I had all that money sitting there. Anyway that's not the point. The point is that It was just hanging in the room curing. Doesn't seem like there's a way for any one to fuck it up at all if it is kept at whatever you guys say is the perfect humidity. What may be 60% or 62% or what ever you guys say it is.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Lately I've been thinking about this. What about if I built a room that was a harvest/dry room that was always at the perfect humidity (whatever that may be) and just left to cure hanging or just in the room in some sort of boxes or chambers. I remember 10 years ago when I just left a crop hanging for more than 6 months and just left them. Just didn't care and for got about them. Well about 9 months later I went into the walk in closet and looked at them and was like, "oh shit, it's not even bone/crispy dry". So I trimmed them and smoked a joint and couldn't believe how good it was. It moved very fast. Didn't even realize I had all that money sitting there. Anyway that's not the point. The point is that It was just hanging in the room curing. Doesn't seem like there's a way for any one to fuck it up at all if it is kept at whatever you guys say is the perfect humidity. What may be 60% or 62% or what ever you guys say it is.

I've thought about this myself :D I think we're basically describing a walk-in humidor, no?

It'd be a welcome relief for me - I hang/dry/cure in a room with the frickin' furnace, which can make for wild rides.. Especially when I'm not, erm, paying attention..? :friends:

Snype

Veteran
WD-40 on the left, White Lightning on the right?
picture.php
picture.php

doneit

Veteran
I do believe the one on the right is 40.

looking very good all in all, both of them are huge yielders and top notch smoke..
the wd-40 will work in SOG once you figure her out, whitelightning will do some monster bushes!

Snype

Veteran
Looks like they need more lumens and node pinching. to much stem for my liking.

The problem is that I Veg with smaller lights. It's one of the things I have to sacrifice to have other things, a fine balance.

I'm still getting used to what you call pinching. I noticed on one of the Illuminati's that one got pinched on her own in the move at the bottom of the plant and the whole plant turned itself into a bush but you were saying to pinch the top of the plant instead. I remember my old mentor friend who also pinched at the bottom of branches and got real nice results but you are saying the top. Maybe they are 2 different methods but you would probably know best.

doneit

Veteran
I understand what your saying about balance bro.. BUT.. i gotta tell ya, Proper lighting and training in veg will dictate how they grow.
IT ALL starts from the size of the clone and where you take em to how you train em.
stretchy in veg.. tall/stretchy lanky in flower.. Control brother.. not to be over looked!

Here is your pic... notice the red lines.. this is where you pinch, pinch the stem just under the newest growth, do not pinch to hard or cut it off.. this will give you MANY lateral shoots, extremely beneficial when taking cuts from a mother plant.
picture.php

Here is a pic of the WD-40 mom.. i can take minimum of 50 cuts at once and have them all be identical, if you ever wondered how you get arm length baseball bat size branches.. this is how.
This plants is under 30" tall, power is crucial to proper growth and structure, this all my opinion of course, just where i have ended up after many many yrs of fucken around! lol

picture.php

doneit

Veteran
This is a pic of that same mom after she did her service for 6 months or so.
I could not find any finished pics of her, just this one, she is around 20 days or so in flower here.. notice the structure and tight node spacing.. keeping her in the usable light penetration while maximizing bud development. this plant did well over 1lb and never hit 36" height.

picture.php

Mister_D

Veteran

I've thought about this myself :D I think we're basically describing a walk-in humidor, no?

It'd be a welcome relief for me - I hang/dry/cure in a room with the frickin' furnace, which can make for wild rides.. Especially when I'm not, erm, paying attention..? :friends:

You guys are behind on the times, I've been doing just this for years. I prefer my drying room to stay right around 60% RH and 70 deg. F all the time. This allows herb to dry very slowly (usually around 10 days before it's smokable dry), but can be left for months without worry as the room's RH keeps the buds right where they need to be. Keep it light tight, unless you are in there of course, or your buds will fade to a golden yellow color, and potency is reduced. A small fan to circulate the air is also required. Personally I just cut plants into trim manageable size (12-18" pieces), remove all fan leaves I didn't get with defoilation, leaving any leaves with significant frost on them (these will wrap and protect the bud while curing). Then I hang the branches on twine setup similar to a clothes line. It's there they will stay until needed. At which time I take them down, trim all the sugar leaf, package, and it's off to market :joint:.

OvergrowDaWorld

$$ ALONE $$
Veteran
Sorry son and daughter. But your gonna have to sleep in the living room on the pull out bed cauze daddy and mommy need your bedroom for awhile. LOL.
I wish I had a room I could do that in too.
I use my flower room closet. Its cooler in there and abit more humid...about 66*f and about 50%rh. I could only leave my hanging flowers in there for about 10-12 days before they were dust dry and done curing. So Im forced to put them in jars after 7 days. The bonus to that is, its computer controlled environment, its still dark, and I get the smell problem solved from the negative air pressure my carbon scrubber creates and takes care of the overwhelmingly loud smells permeating the room.

The buds take about 6 days to dry enough to put in jars. Then they get taken out of the jars, and put into brown paper grocery bags, once they get all wet again from the moisture stuck in the stalks.
They stay in the brown bags about 24 hours, then go back in the jars to stay. They stay on the moister side in the jars, to continue to cure until used. about 65%rh. I never let my buds dry out.

Once they are ready to smoke, Ill keep out my daily smoke overnight in the dark, to dry out enough to break up, so it feels sticky, fluffy, and semi-moist. I love when it still sticks to my fingers after 2 months in a jar. There is a fine line though. Ive found that sweet spot, and its all dictated by my growroom environment. Just gotta go with the flow. If its 45%rh in my flower room and 50% in the drying closet, I will put the meds in a brown bag sooner, so they stay nice and moist, and take longer to dry enough to jar.
Most times I have to do this process twice because the meds are still too wet to jar.

Snype

Veteran
I was just thinking back to what got me to grow. In the early 90's I was moving trees in high school. There was this kid who got kicked out of a private school and ended up coming to my public school. I can't even remember the first time we crossed paths or how it happened. I guess it's been a long time. After we met though, we hung out all the time. We got along real well because he liked to get drunk and go out and get into trouble. Stupid kid shit like breaking into cars or smashing people's windows. We were stupid what can I say but it was fun at the time. The kids family was pretty rich and had this huge victorian house on the most expensive block in the city which is worth multiple millions. He was kind of like the boss of the house. His parents let him pretty much do anything. We smoked a lot of trees together. So I started to meet his friends from the private school and they all lived in different city's. This private school is some type of elite place where very rich people's kids go to school. It was a pretty amazing experience with the times that I had with some of the people in that school. It was very obvious that the kids from that school were very different from the kids from my school. They really were on another level but maybe that's why it cost 40k a year to go to 1st grade there now.

Anyway, one of his friends from that school was from Berkeley, CA and I was always serving him with different products. We also became friends at the time and would hang out at his house. He was a Curt Kobain looking kid who stayed at home most of the time and played the guitar. He seemed pretty good. He had really smart strange friends but real science and math book smart. Well for Christmas, the kid went to see his dad in Berkeley and he brought back an oz of something called Crystal Palace back with him when he flew back to the East Coast. He had the whole ounce in his shoe completely flattened. I couldn't even believe it was an oz it was so small. But oh my god! I've never seen trees like that at the time and couldn't believe it. It was so white and flavorful and of course potent.

Well not too long after that I go over his house and basically the whole basement was his. This was the Curt Kobain guy. And he takes me to the area where his water heater was and shows me these big cardboard boxes where he was growing trees. I couldn't even believe what I was looking at. He had these little doors cut out of the cardboard box and he had all HPS lighting that he stole from school parks. I asked him lots of questions. We were young. He was a couple years younger than me at least too. So one night the Curt Kobain guy, me and the guy who got expelled from the private school snuck out one night together and went around to private schools and put trash cans upside down and cut down many HPS outdoor lights. They all ranged in sizes but there were a lot of 60 watts up to 150 watts. We would unscrew the fixture while the light was on and cut the wires with wire cutters. You would hear a noise and see some sparks of some sort. Then we would go to the hardware store and buy cords and wire them together. We took about 20 lights in total.

When I saw the harvest of the cardboard boxes, it as pretty amazing. At the time it was the best thing I ever saw. So me and the kid who got expelled started growing in his basement. At first it was in his closet for 1 run but that didn't go too well. I found a room in the house that was unfinished that you could enter from a hole in the top of the wine cellar. I crawled in there and there was about 4 feet of height and the room was huge. Over 15'x20'. We were kids. I took a big long extension cord and wrapped it around things to make it look hard to see. I didn't want his dad seeing it when he gets his wine. He wasn't down there too often. He never saw it. But we never had any problems growing dank weed back then from the start. Maybe cause it wasn't like a full time job so the plants didn't get a lot of attention which would likely lead to humans finding a way to fuck it up by adding some product. I would just go into the room once or twice a week. The first crop in that room was Silver Pearl from Sensi. I still remember it to this day. It was really good back then. I don't think it's the same now.

For a kid 500-1000 watts was a lot. After that we left that room abandoned with the lights and dirt pots still in it to this day. I really don't remember why. After that I had a 400 watt but I remember rocking a 1,000 Watt in the summer of 1996 in a house that we sublet from a bunch of hippies and when I unscrewed the door in the attic, there was 1000 watt light with a huge parabolic reflector where the bulb was vertical. I borrowed that for the time I was there which was a good experience for me. After that I think I was growing in apartments that I was living in with a 400 watt until 1998 when I bought my first 1,000 watt and kept expanding over time. Either 1998 or 1999 was when I went to hydro. It was most likely 1999. In the end me and those kids lost touch. Fun times though.

Last edited:

-=KwarE=-

I give out a lot of information on this site but the information on how I cured root rot has to be kept a secret for now. IMO this is too big to let anyone know. I'm not being a dick, I'm just protecting my work so I hope that you will understand.
I could care less how you cured root rot... but id love to hear you try to explain the logic behind this statement. Youre JOKING right? Your work would be endangered by telling people how you solved root rot. Thanks for a good laugh.

Snype

Veteran
I could care less how you cured root rot... but id love to hear you try to explain the logic behind this statement. Youre JOKING right? Your work would be endangered by telling people how you solved root rot. Thanks for a good laugh.

Bring your drama somewhere else. Puff a joint of some dank why you are at it. I just smoked a joint of Motorbreath #6 and it's pretty nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts