What's new

Far from new grower.. but dealing w noob problem.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i've just tried to pop 6 more, i didn't soak this time, just into the dirt and i'm using jiffy mix and watered with a little superthrive i had laying around.

i hate when it gets cool, i lose so many clones and seeds this time of year.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Obviously bad seeds. This can't be fixed. Has nothing to do with paper towels. That method has worked for many decades, and it will continue to work until the world ends. I wouldn't germ any other way. Tail shows in less than 24 hours, then right into Lightwarrior Seed Starter Mix, before transplanting to coco. 100% success rate. It ain't the paper towels.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Let me relate a little story...

I had these old seeds.... (I have used this technique quite often)

The first thing I did was to crack open the seeds very carefully....

Old seeds become very hard thru time....and the seed embryo has a better chance IMO if you let her out.....

These seeds did just what you describe....

They popped the shell.... I got really excited...and the root simply refused to elongate....

dead after a few days...

I like the idea of adding a couple fresh seeds to the mix..... good idea...

Last edited:
My guess is its the seeds. I'm fighting the same issue for the first time ever. I recently germed 2 beans I received last year and they sprouted in 2 days. I also started 10 other beans at the same time that I purchased this year (same breeder, 2 different but similar strains). Every one of those 10 seeds is behaving as you describe. Frustrating for sure man..