What's new

Fan Talk, Vortex V & S Series anyone?

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
What do you mean? Its lasted a year?
Why would you post any of that? That makes no sense!
A vortex should be able to run nonstop for at least 10 years. Thats why they are warrantied for 10. Im sure they will last longer than that.
Someone said their Valuline didn't last long at all started making noises after a few months, all 3 of mine haven't hiccuped for a year so far after constantly being on...

what is a tug of war test? Please link me to this war of tests, Id like to see what you mean.

Thanks

FE
Sure FatherEarth! :)

Vortex Fan VS Valuline Fan- THE 8" Tug of the Titans! 8 Inch Inline Fan test | Best 8" Ducting Fan

[YOUTUBEIF]xhBQxQKvpq4[/YOUTUBEIF]

Supposedly the Rebel beat the Valuline - Powerful & Quiet Inline Duct Fans Rebel Inline Centrifugal Blower 4" 6" 8" 10" 12" Best Inline Fans

[YOUTUBEIF]8yvDHeCYlB4[/YOUTUBEIF]

furrywall11

Anyone have any updated info on these fans? I haven't been able to find videos on how loud the v series are. I'm actually planning to use 4 of the 10" v series vortex fans, two for intake, 2 for exhaust. The greenhouse is 10,000 cubic feet and my intention with these fans is to have significantly less noise than with a large louvered greenhouse fan. Tips, comments? Thanks

Granger2

Veteran
I have 2 6" Vortex "V" series that have been chugging away for 9 years and counting. One runs continuously, the other during lights on. Just bought another one and a 4". And yes, the "V"s have a 10 year warranty.

But you know, I've seen those tug o war fan tests on YouTube, but I have my doubts about their real world relevance. It also proves nothing about how loud any of them are. And while it may tell you something about how a fan performs against extreme static pressure, it may tell you nothing about how it will perform against more realistic static pressures that it would be more likely to encounter in a grow room app. I like quiet and 10 year warranty. Good luck. -granger

T_B_M

a 10" fan is going to be loud no matter what. Vortex are just less loud when it comes to the whooshing and humming due to vibrations. Build quality comes into play.

I just bought an 8" S series Vortex and while it is quieter, I had vibration issues. I don't have a rigid frame where I am mounting mine so I had to hang it using straps and some foam padding to dampen the vibrations. At half speed I couldn't hear it whoosh upstairs anymore, and that was without any ducting. Once the ducting is added it will dampen the whooshing a lot more.

The best thing you can do for sound it to oversize the fan and run it slower.

My 4" vortex V series has been going for 4 years so far 24/7 with a cabinet temp swing of 85 to 65.

furrywall11

Hey thanks, that's a good tip.

SO....I have a 10,000 cubic foot greenhouse and I'm getting 4 x 12" V series vortex fans..two intake and two exhaust...I'm hoping that will be enough so that I can run them at a lower setting and keep the noise down

Granger2

Veteran
With 2 1140 cfm fans in 10,000 cu ft, that's about 4.38 exchanges/minute at full speed. You should be able to down speed your fans. That doesn't consider how much air exchange you need for temp/RH control. Good luck. -granger

Jhhnn

Veteran
a 10" fan is going to be loud no matter what. Vortex are just less loud when it comes to the whooshing and humming due to vibrations. Build quality comes into play.

I just bought an 8" S series Vortex and while it is quieter, I had vibration issues. I don't have a rigid frame where I am mounting mine so I had to hang it using straps and some foam padding to dampen the vibrations. At half speed I couldn't hear it whoosh upstairs anymore, and that was without any ducting. Once the ducting is added it will dampen the whooshing a lot more.

The best thing you can do for sound it to oversize the fan and run it slower.

My 4" vortex V series has been going for 4 years so far 24/7 with a cabinet temp swing of 85 to 65.

Yeh, the large rotating mass of centrifugal fans vibrates whatever they're mounted to, uses it as a sounding board. I've been pleased w/ soler & palau TD series mixed flow fans in that respect- low mass impellers. Compared to centrifugals, they're not as good at overcoming restriction like a carbon filter, however.

The vortex S line should be similar.

furrywall11

With 2 1140 cfm fans in 10,000 cu ft, that's about 4.38 exchanges/minute at full speed. You should be able to down speed your fans. That doesn't consider how much air exchange you need for temp/RH control. Good luck. -granger

Wouldn't 2 x 1140 be 2280 or 1 exchange every 4 minutes?
I'm getting 2 vortex v series at 2050 cfm for intake and two for exhaust.. That would be 8200 cfm for 1 full exchange every 73 seconds or so..I've read that in greenhouses it's ok to do 1 full exchange every 120 seconds. If like to run the fans on a lower speed setting to reduce noise so that should work. I guess I'll see Friday when the fans come in. :D I also bought a duct silencer

Granger2

Veteran
Rechecked my math. 10,000/2280=4.38, but yes, that's 1 exchange every 4.38 minutes, rather than 4.38 exchanges per minute. You're right. Sorry. -granger

FatherEarth

Veteran
They will be more quiet than any greenhouse fan. ... Not sure if I'd apply them Ina gh though...better protect them from the moisture with a filter of sorts....Mine is still kicking it, love it, no problems at all. Worth the investment for sure.

furrywall11

Good to hear, thanks. I'm thinking of getting can filters for all 4 fans..that would reduce the noise and protect against moisture. The fans are going to be inside the greenhouse with the ducting being 10" drainage ditch corrugated pipe running 3' underground for cooling purposes so I'm hoping the moisture levels won't so high that it might harm the fans.

Granger2

Veteran
furry,
I'm assuming the underground pipe is for intake. Exhaust too? Seems to me that underground pipe on either will dampen noise like crazy. The longer the pipe run, the better.

Carbon filters on the intake fans would be a waste. With the carbon filters, you have to be aware that they won't remove much odor if the humidity is above about 75%. The higher the RH, the less smell will be removed.

Tell me a bit more about this underground pipe set up. 12" pipe? -granger

FatherEarth

Veteran
yea furry that setup is good also for pulling tarp and still having airflow. Nice! Post some pics. !!

Respect

FE