What's new

Fan leaves folding inwards

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I find it difficult to believe coco holds 1000 times more air than soil. That is unless you dig your soil from bog-land and your coco is a shell you just smashed up with a hammer.
Both soil and coco are far to variable to make such claims. I'm in soil because the coco I was using was far too wet. I have not looked at the figures, but I bet it held 50% more.

Watering a few time a day, I was getting a pots worth of runoff accumulating. I was in the last weeks when K use is highest, but giving no K. I did this for 3 days, then had the runoff looked at. 90ppm of K. That was new coco, and older coco breaks down faster. That's why it's best to change it every few grows.

I'm in europe so it's coco from by the sea. Canna coco. Which is a typical peat. Perhaps on the wet side, as they have another product for pro use, that's all the lumps. Much much better draining. It comes as compressed slabs for dripping. If you break it up for pots, You about pour right through it. Not all coco is the same. We can buy it by pH and EC, but also air and water content. There are 3 main grades and a couple of others. These are mixed to order. Usually by your supplier, but we can specify any blend we like.

Oh yes.. I had not seen the bulky B. Or is that P? I bet it is..
What they have done is drop the A&B 10% and switch it for this product.

I feel quite sure a chart exists that says RO to 0.3 using calmag, then 3g of A&B for a week. Then 2.7g of A&B plus 0.6g of Bulky. It would be nice to see that chart, but the pattern is there.

There is no way I would add the calmag on top of the 5g or 4.5g+Bulky. You will need to bring that A&B use down, to replace it with calmag. Like I outlined above.

Look at this chart I found! It’s a bulky b with cal mag chart. Do you think I would be better off using this one instead?

Attachments

• FECC26B6-7241-4920-819C-2F516B602145.jpeg
    FECC26B6-7241-4920-819C-2F516B602145.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 48

44:86N

I find it difficult to believe coco holds 1000 times more air than soil. That is unless you dig your soil from bog-land and your coco is a shell you just smashed up with a hammer.
Both soil and coco are far to variable to make such claims. I'm in soil because the coco I was using was far too wet. I have not looked at the figures, but I bet it held 50% more.

Watering a few time a day, I was getting a pots worth of runoff accumulating. I was in the last weeks when K use is highest, but giving no K. I did this for 3 days, then had the runoff looked at. 90ppm of K. That was new coco, and older coco breaks down faster. That's why it's best to change it every few grows.

I'm in europe so it's coco from by the sea. Canna coco. Which is a typical peat. Perhaps on the wet side, as they have another product for pro use, that's all the lumps. Much much better draining. It comes as compressed slabs for dripping. If you break it up for pots, You about pour right through it. Not all coco is the same. We can buy it by pH and EC, but also air and water content. There are 3 main grades and a couple of others. These are mixed to order. Usually by your supplier, but we can specify any blend we like.

Well, that was Wikipedia, and I agree with you. I wonder if that is a typo.

And no, not all coco is the same. I wonder about current supply issues, and if there's not a lot of low grade out there right now.

I also am in soil -- I gave up coir a long time ago for growing anything in. I prefer a fast draining/drying peat blend for cannabis.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Damn. Another feed chart. This time going in low with the calmag, and not reducing the A&B so much. Nothing like so much.

This is getting a bit focused now. To go any further, I need to see what is in the bottles. Unfortunately, I don't use GH as they lie. You see this when they publish the ppm of N expected from their schedules, and somehow they get double what the bottle says. Their answer.. we only have to give a minimum expectation on our labeling. This makes everything they say useless. All we really have is EC targets, and even then there could be a load of useless salt being measured. Their is nothing to work with.

Looking at the plants, you need a ml/L of calmag, and will have to drop the A&B more than 10% to account for this. I think you will find 2ml/L calmag works with 3 of the A&B while 1ml/L calmag works with about 4 A&B. It will be around there somewhere. The important thing here is to go in on the lower side of expectations, because you can always add more.

If the total EC is getting past 1.5 then I start to expect problems. They would have to prove to me they needed more than 1.3 TBH. Though I have gone in higher, as have many. It's something to work towards though. Personally, I wouldn't set out trying to target 3.0 if someone stepped out of a blinding light wearing white robes and said I must

Damn. Another feed chart. This time going in low with the calmag, and not reducing the A&B so much. Nothing like so much.

This is getting a bit focused now. To go any further, I need to see what is in the bottles. Unfortunately, I don't use GH as they lie. You see this when they publish the ppm of N expected from their schedules, and somehow they get double what the bottle says. Their answer.. we only have to give a minimum expectation on our labeling. This makes everything they say useless. All we really have is EC targets, and even then there could be a load of useless salt being measured. Their is nothing to work with.

Looking at the plants, you need a ml/L of calmag, and will have to drop the A&B more than 10% to account for this. I think you will find 2ml/L calmag works with 3 of the A&B while 1ml/L calmag works with about 4 A&B. It will be around there somewhere. The important thing here is to go in on the lower side of expectations, because you can always add more.

If the total EC is getting past 1.5 then I start to expect problems. They would have to prove to me they needed more than 1.3 TBH. Though I have gone in higher, as have many. It's something to work towards though. Personally, I wouldn't set out trying to target 3.0 if someone stepped out of a blinding light wearing white robes and said I must

Dude..so after lowering the a&b and adding cal mag the plants totally responded positively. Almost all of the folded leaves unfolded! Thank you again for your diligence in helping me identify the problem Weed Yoda!

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Dude..so after lowering the a&b and adding cal mag the plants totally responded positively. Almost all of the folded leaves unfolded! Thank you again for your diligence in helping me identify the problem Weed Yoda!

Thanks Man. I'm happy you have fixed this, and completed the thread with a positive affirmation. Something that can help others on your path, for years to come.