What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Family sues NFL over sons suicide

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran

some of these players get paid jack shit, in fact it's only a select few commanding multi-million dollar contracts and the rest are underpaid

The third string players make an average of 300,000 a year. the 4th string players make over 80,000 a year.

U.S. soldier. 35,000 a year.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The third string players make an average of 300,000 a year. the 4th string players make over 80,000 a year.

U.S. soldier. 35,000 a year.

that's a rather unfair analogy but I'd look @ it this way:

most soldiers are not the elite of the elite that have proven themselves @ the college level for 4 years prior to hopefully making the grade of 'NFL' nope although a few might have tried playing college ball most soldiers are entitled to be your everyday ordinary guy, 'it's a job, an adventure', remember?

32 teams Xs 53 players on a roster = 1696 men risking injury and perhaps paralysis on the field of play the pay is going to be great.

If the US armed forces was looking for 1696 servicemen and only 1696 servicemen to be chosen in the country the pay would be even greater.

IDK....
when you put your kids into sports(especially in scholar sprts) you gotta sign a waver, this in case anything happens it is not the schools fault....

i would expect that in all the legal talk in the contracts that the players signed, there would be a clause saying"you know what you getting into, if anything happens to you then its your fault"

regardless of the money, if you decide to do something and are aware of the risks then no one is at fault, you knew the risks....

few more details..

Duerson's family wants to know more about the NFL's handling of concussions during his career, according to his son.

"If they knowingly failed to inform and implement proper safety concussion procedures, then their indifference was the epitome of injustice," Tregg Duerson said at a news conference announcing the lawsuit. "The inactions of the past inevitably led to the demise and death of my father.

The lawsuit accuses the NFL of negligently causing the brain damage that led Duerson to take his own life at the age of 50 by not warning him of the negative effects of concussions. Attorney Thomas Demetrio, who is representing Duerson's family, said the NFL should have been a leader in educating current and former players about head injuries.

"They not only dropped the ball, they maintained until current times that there was no connection between playing football, receiving concussions and brain damage,"

mrcreosote

Veteran
"Your Honor,
I submit before the court that there is no possible way my client could have forseen the ramifications of being repeatedly assaulted by 250+ lb. men, armored head and body, hurling themselves at him even though that is the job description in his contract.
Furthermore, we will also show the deadly link between former NFL players running out of money and suicide to which the defendant is also culpable for neglect of their former employees."

Good luck with that one, pal.

I'm sure he felt no pressure to get back on the field and play (or lose his job) after sustaining a concussion(s).

Lots of hating going on because the guy made some money? Soo-prise,soo-prise.

Hippies don't like when you make money,too fucking bad.These people have a case.

The soldiers vs. football player analogy doesn't work either,so keep pounding that square peg.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
that's a rather unfair analogy but I'd look @ it this way:

most soldiers are not the elite of the elite that have proven themselves @ the college level for 4 years prior to hopefully making the grade of 'NFL' nope although a few might have tried playing college ball most soldiers are entitled to be your everyday ordinary guy, 'it's a job, an adventure', remember?

32 teams Xs 53 players on a roster = 1696 men risking injury and perhaps paralysis on the field of play the pay is going to be great.

If the US armed forces was looking for 1696 servicemen and only 1696 servicemen to be chosen in the country the pay would be even greater.

I am just putting it into perspective though risk of death vs. money received for job, and ability to quit the job with out going to military prison.

the two are incomparable... what happens in the military has no legal bearing on what happens in a normal domestic workplace ..the rules and expectations are completley different

although I think soldiers deserve the same protection as anyone else, at the end of the day it's a job after all, just because there are more of them and they tend to be harvested from poor areas with little or no prospects doesn't mean they deserve to be treated as something less than an nfl footballer or anyone else for that matter