What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

F13Throwback & Shortbread: Old World Genetics Testers (2015/2016)

Triggle

Hey there IC folks,

Going to do a summary journal on the recent/current test grows that I've been running. Been posting on another more general thread but just wanted to consolidate in a focused report.

Strains:

F13-Throwback
(F13 #14(Oregon Mist pheno)x Blueberry F4)

Shortbread

(LambsBreadSourDiesel(wild west)x Blueberry F4)

I'll do the F13's first and then follow with the Shortbread. These are mostly retrospective as the F13's are now curing and the Shortbread will be harvested any day...so, I'll basically put up all the posts at once and then we can all chat about it, if you want.

The following post will be a short summary of my background, growing style/philosophy and how I came to have these genetics in my garden. Then we'll get to the fun stuff.

Peace

Trig

Triggle

How It Came To Be

I reached out to Old World late last fall in regards to some clone stock and that's when I first spoke to/ "met" JD. I had decided on a few different strains and was able to secure cuts of them shortly after. I had some issues in the veg cabinet and lost the clones early in the game and requested replacements. JD was happy to take my replacement order, but informed me that he did not have enough of "my strains" ready and that it would be a little bit. He offered cuts of other OWG lines in their stead but I declined and we agreed to get the order filled at a future date.

During the extensive communications that followed, and still continue today- JD offered up some tester beans of some new lines and I decided to give it a go. I immediately received tester packs of the F13-Throwback, what is now being called Shortbread and the yet named MendoAfgooxBlueberry F4 crosses that JD had recently bred.

There was definitely some miscommunication that occurred and I, like a few others, thought I was one of just a few with these beans. For a time that was true but some of the Shortbread and Mendos were given out to a few seedbanks as freebies and also raffled at a few cups/expos. I was a little miffed at first but that was just my ego talking. JD immediately acknowledged the bad look, apologized for the misunderstanding and offered to "make it right", but his acknowledgement/validation of my viewpoint was enough for me. We moved on quickly.

I am (what I consider) your just above average small-time hobby/medical grower. I have a professional background in botany/horticulture/ecology and I have an insatiable passion for bud. I run a few thousand watts at peak production but am usually running 2k watts or less. I have some experience with DJ's blueberry line. Sometimes I crush it and sometimes I have to start over but, each grow is a success to me. Since I'm not tied to production goals and I don't pay my bills with my garden, I get the luxury of being able to just love the process and appreciate the journeys and the increasingly more frequent harvests of top grade flowers.

The purpose of the testing was somewhat unique to each strain but with some overlapping and obvious parameters:

F13:
A) Late stage R&D to confirm stability/expression of F13 "keeper" phenotypes.
B) Within context of "average grower"- meaning 1 pack of seeds.. The question "Will the average grower get at least 2 keepers in a pack?"
C) Photos for packaging, forum info etc

Shortbread
A) Cooperative, early R&D of new outcross.
-Stability
-Terps/Resin production
-Colors
-Structure etc.
B) Larger run (I germinated 25 seeds-other testers, I'm not sure)
C) Photos for packaging, forum info etc (pending satisfactory R&D)

All plants vegged under CFL/LED combo, transferred to 1gal pots for 2 weeks and vegged under 600w MH for 2 weeks and then transplanted to 3gal tall. Vegged for one more week and put into 12/12 under 1000w HPS. No training, topping was done. They were grown in FoxFarm Ocean Forest Soil and I used FoxFarm organics for the nutes(full line). I often incorporate FF products into my feedings and a lot of bud has/is grown with it. For the purposes of what the average grower might get from a run, I think we covered all the bases. :)

For me, it's important to note the manner in which OWG conducted business with me. I was humbled to be working with DJ Short's company and JD (and subsequently DJ) have shown me the same type of humility and gratitude throughout the entire process. There are so many "breeders" out there these days and everyone is trying to build their Hempire...it's been refreshing to work with some guys that are beyond that stage of their relationship with cannabis.

Ok, on to the journals. In the morning.

Last edited:

Triggle

F13 Throwback

I'll start here since these ladies are now in the jar, harvested appx 2 weeks ago.

15 seeds popped
Culled to 13 immediately- 2 weaklings
Sexed to 7 females

When they were real young, they showed quite a bit of variegation on their fans but they were adequately vigorous and extremely pretty.
Heres a shot of the variegation:

That's a pretty average representaion but there were a few that were slightly less/more variegated/mutated. They all expressed at least some aspects of the Blueberry father that most of us are familiar with...
The authentic DJ Short Crinkle:

More Crinkle and a mutation:

They were somewhat sensitive to nitrogen with the grow methods used here. This may not be the case with a different strategy. That being said, I fed them per the FoxFarm feeding chart but at 1/4-1/2 strength for their entire life.

Here's a shot of some different fans from different plants to show leaf shapes and variegation spectrum:

Here they are in veg prior to sexing and in 1 gallons still, about a week before going into 3 gallons:

Peace

Trig

Triggle

F13 Throwback

True flowering started on around the 15th of January on these and it was clear from the start that they would be frosty. My hpotography skills also get better throughout the run so bear with me.

Week 3-ish Flowering

Variegation has all but disappeared on most individuals at this point with sporadic occurences here and there. Nitrogen/nutrient assimilation improved steadily but those tips would curl up like the shoes on the wicked witch from Oz throughout the run and even when just watering, whether it was the first "water only" after a feeding or the last one before the next feeding. They never really burned so it would be interesting to have pushed them to that point just to see.

No real smells yet unless disturbed but then, soft berry/fruit and that unmistakable smell of hashish that has yet to be made. Buds were rock hard at this point and would stay that way for the most part.

Super even vertical growth but some phenotypes were starting to separate themselves structurally. The F13 dominant phenos began to change leaf shape and the leaflets started to get skinny and taper hard at the rachis. The Blueberry dominant phenos retained wide leaflets.

This pic is later in the grow but you can see the tapering on it.

Peace

Trig

Triggle

F13 Throwback

They really started to bulk up week 5 and the phenotypes were clearly discernable. As tempting as it is to give each plant it's own pheno name, it's not a very good way to actually classify plants as even when you get to the sub-level of varieties, they usually fall within a range of traits...(i.e.: "pistils 1mm-5mm, flowers green to purple or mixed, subtended by bracts or bractless). For those new to plant classification-Refer to Hitchcocks "Flora of the Pacific Northwest" and you'll see what I mean.

So I went with 2 phenotypes. 7 females, 2 phenos.

The F13 Dominant pheno was named "High Mountain Mist". This is a reference to the mother plant (Oregon Mist) and also to the F13 #4, which is also referred to as "High Mountain Sage". I simply called it that because these individuals reminded me of both of those F13 phenotypes.

Dense, spear-shaped nugs. One of the original descriptors for the first F13 realease.

F13 Structures: Check.
Trichome Production: Check.

And those F13 signature foxtails? Well, they started showing up around the same time.

Blueberry dom pheno next post.

Peace

Trig

Triggle

The Blueberry dom phenos started smelling before the others and were swelling up and getting fluffy at this point (week 5ish). I was concerned that they might really foxtail out and/or get wispy but that proved not to be the case as things progressed.

This pheno was much better at taking up nutrients, also.

The photo booth gets an upgrade from here on out. [A black t shirt, taped to the wall :)]

Peace

Trig

Triggle

I had considered calling this plant(also pictured above) another pheno but it was the only one so I simply gave it a special name and started calling her "Lucky 7"...She was the 7th, and final female to show sex. Always about 7-10 days behind the rest until the very end.

Triggle

F13 Throwback

Into week 6 and things really started getting good. The new backdrop also allowed me to better capture what I was seeing compared to the white, washed out earlier pics. For the most part, these pics are minimally edited, using the instagram app only. Edits consist of cropping and shadow adjustment to compensate for flash. No color/contrast/saturation edits. (The flushed fan leaf picture is heavily filtered)

High Mountain Mist grouping

You can see the spectrum of foxtailing, color and structure differences but with common overall form here. The plant in the final pic was pretty much all foxtails and the only one deemed "non keeper", however, it was/is the terpiest of the HMM pheno grouping.

Triggle

This plant was dubbed "The Breeder"...I am not a breeder but, if I was, I would have dusted this one. She mystified me the whole way. So sophisticated.

Triggle

This plant was under full spec MH and I had broken the top as well. It matured by the end of week 6, Ill try to find the picture (Its on my IG @The_Armistice). It wasn't autoflowering but it just was way ahead and all the pistils turned orange, trichs got cloudy and it turned purple...It yielded poorly as it didn't bulk up but had great color and trichome development...who knows what her potential could have been...Some follow-up research tells me I may have had an ethylene buildup that force the rapid maturation. It was weird.

Triggle

F13Throwback

The Blueberry dom phenos really started to chunk up and get dense while still keeping the fluffy textures...(The HMM phenos were sharp, hard and waxy)

Again, that spectrum of color/foxtail with a dominant overall morphology.

The terps on these really started coming on strong too and lean to the fruity side whereas the HMM pheno grouping leans more to the "temple hash" notes.

If you topped/LST/scrog etc, you could pull some fat ass yields out of this pheno.

Triggle

F13 Throwback

I started flush at beginning of week 6 and they got plain water through harvest. They flushed pretty well, however, my myko/bacteria populations were healthy and they kept trying to green up. A trellis/scrog for an even canopy would have allowed for more consistent flushing of the entire plant but I was happy with how it behaved for the most part

the previously seen flushed fan...there's another one on my IG that is slightly different.

This is a close up of one of the Bluberry dom phenos just before harvest

Triggle

Then, out of nowhere, Lucky7 went nuts on her last few days.

Here she is taking a breather and getting a final trim before going back into the jar for a while. (I cure in glass jars and CVaults and I use Boveda packs)

Triggle

very nice looking plants! last year I grew a pack of f13 from old stock! i harvested with 65 days aprox the female.. only 1 good female and 1 good male!

are you making seeds? maybe choosing a good f13 male and outcrossing to a local cut might be the way to improve both lines! dj short always sayd that his blueberry should be used as breeding tools! jd is doing that nowadays with azure haze, witaker blues etc!

Also my experience is that they grow better outdoor! you should try if you can!

Thanks for popping by. I am not making any seeds but I agree, the F13 could be a great option for breeding depending on your goals. Jd is reworking everything and I think he's documenting a Grape Krush pheno hunt somewhere on here.

Dj's gear does great outdoors. Here are a few shots of our F5 Blueberry greenhouse run from last year (NE Oregon appx. 45* N latitude)

Triggle

F13 Throwback Recap

I'll get some more "out-of-the jar" shots up as soon as I can but it will likely be a few days.

Stats:

Seed to Harvest: Appx. 105-112 days

Flowering Time: 56-65 days (you could take the BB's to 70-75 if you wanted to experiment with terp profiles)

Yields: Great potential on some phenos. Not exploited here (see: what I would've done different.)

Difficulty: Probably not the best for beginners. Anybody that grows cookies would have fun with this one, though. Can't learn unless you try though, so have at it.

What I would've done different, had I known then...

1. Longer veg...the HMM pheno is slender in every way and the branches were thin. They were sturdy, but thin. I would do some LST on these phenos next time and veg them out extra long...I'd scrog the BB phenos next time with lots of topping, turn up the watts and mix up some extra hot batches of compost tea.

2. Saved cuts. Haha as always.

3. Dialed in the aforementioned cuts, made a selection and pollinated the shit out of her. :)

I'm sure I missed a lot of details but I have great notes and a good memory so just ask. That is the conclusion of the F13 Throwback journal, save for any nug pics. I'll get the Shortbread section going as soon as I can.

Thanks to Jd and Old World Genetics for the opportunity. Bucket list project for a small timer like me.

Thanks for stopping by IC.

Peace

Trig

Miraculous Meds

Excellent work n documentation. thank you! F13 is on my list to run. Its interesting seeing those pics of the same plant n how different they can look.

Jd Short

Too much coolness. When I get a little time I'll sit down and contribute some info to this thread. Looking dank Triggle. I love the incandescent shades on those leaf shots man. Great photo work. And dank looking grow. Can't wait to taste em. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts