What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

F1 Males value?

Wuachuma

There's also the differentiation in philosophies between inclusive breeding and exclusive breeding.

PolyChucker

I have been pollen chucking for 4 years and I’ve noticed the discussion always heads towards genetics. I’ve been working with plants that are not stabilized and it’s pretty unpredictable what will come out of breeding two plants together. So you have two options -
A) sprout hundreds of seeds, take clones of everything, try hundreds of different mating pairs to see the results
B) just try to pick the best plants and mate them

I made a rating system where you get some points for each good trait. If you keep selecting the best rated plants in each round, then the plants will keep getting closer to that ideal - it’s that simple to get 90% of the way there. Save as many clones as you have room for under low intensity light.
You may need to get into dominant/recessive traits down the road but you can backcross to saved cuts of your best plants.
The idea that the plants get better every generation is kinda bullshit because there are so many factors. The percentage of good traits in a population should increase over time but you will not have a new best cut every generation.
Something that is kinda easy to improve is resin. It’s easy to select for the most resinous plant because it’s an obvious trait. The amount of resin will increase as you select for it each generation until all your plants have frosty sparkling buds. But combining that with potency, yield, short flowering time, aroma and flavor etc into one plant begins to be like a Rubik’s cube where the closer you get to having the sides all one color the harder it gets. But still I would say just trying to make the plants better over time is a better overall approach than getting bogged down trying to figure out the genetics which are much more complicated than punnet squares. The only one I can think of that behaves like simple dominant and recessive is true purple bud color (is recessive).

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Forget a rating system across different things. You'd be better of removing the worst and open pollenating what's left. That will remove negative mutations from the gene pool within a few generations.
If one to one mating, which is the quickest way to improve a line, accept you may need to redo a generation a few times. Or go back 2 generations and pick new parents.
Remember, if youve got to f5 or later, on one to one matings, the differences between plant a and b isn't really due to many different genes, it's more often, different numbers of the same genes in different plants.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts