What's new

EZ Cloner for Organic Grow

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have an EZ Cloner that I purchased back when I was growing hydroponically. I have since decided to change my growing tactics and will begin my first organic grow in a couple of weeks. My question is when I take cuts from my plants, would there really be any need to use the cloner, or would I benefit better by just putting the cuttings straight in soil? I guess my question is is there any advantage\benefit to using the cloner?

i think it would be better to use the cloner. seems to me its harder to clone straight in dirt due to moisture control, but maybe thats just me
you would really have to watch it more in dirt, imho

good luck

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
pepelepew & Dan42epa
Thanks for the opinion,guys. my main concern was if the roots would be burned, or damaged in some way by the fertilized soil that I was going to plant them in.

If the cloner has worked for you in the past then use the cloner. If it hasn't then perhaps try some seedling starter soil. Some people clone in perlite using wick methods. Some people clone in vertmiculite. There is really no reason not to do both a soil clone and the EZ cloner. Just throw out the clones you don't need.

I hear a lot of great things about rapid rooters. If you didnt already have an EZ Cloner I'd recommend some of those or oasis cubes for the easiest possible cloning or for hard to clone strains. I've had a little less luck with aero cloners since water temps can get too high sometimes. So if the room is say 80 degrees rapid rooters or oasis cubes with a humidity done may be more reliable. A humdity dome is as simple as one of those clear plastic containers they sell at walmart.

What made you move away from hydro ?

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What made you move away from hydro ? - posted by Jesusbuiltmygrow

First, let me thank you, JBMG for your input. It'a always nice to get more than one opinion, and if all is favorable as far as using the cloner, I will. I never had any problems with the cloner, as it produced roots in 7-10 days. It's probably one of the best investments made by me since I've been growing. As far as what made me move from growing hydroponically concerns my love for the TASTE :yummy: of MJ as opposed to the quantity and potency. Not only that, i grew tired of making batches of nutes, waiting for it to settle before I could add either the PH UP or DOWN. I'd much rather feed the soil, and let it feed the plant. That way whatever the plant needs, it can get it from the soil. My only problem now is I've got a ton of Canna nutes that I'm not using. :confused:

Vash said:
pepelepew & Dan42epa
Thanks for the opinion,guys. my main concern was if the roots would be burned, or damaged in some way by the fertilized soil that I was going to plant them in.

after they get roots, plant them in worm castings,perlite and a small amount of potting soil and they will be fine. i've had problems with my mix and fresh clones in the past

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Make sure you plant your clones in your soiless mix before the roots get any longer than 1/2 inch.
Burn1

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
pepelepew098 said:
after they get roots, plant them in worm castings,perlite and a small amount of potting soil and they will be fine. i've had problems with my mix and fresh clones in the past

That was my concern as to whether I could damage the roots by planting into a mix. Using a recipe similar to this one of yours will give me the results I'm looking for without burn. Thanks, PePe

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
BurnOne said:
Make sure you plant your clones in your soiless mix before the roots get any longer than 1/2 inch.
Burn1

B1, this will be an organic mix that I'm planting into, not soilless. What I did gather from your post was how long my roots should be. In the past, i allowed them to get a lot longer than that, which could have wound up being a bad thing. Thanks for your advice.

Guest423

Veteran
you'll be fine...i'd use the cloner forsure....i've had my ez cloner for 4-5 yrs and have only grown in organic soil....just let them adjust to the soil before you use any organic nutes if your even gonna use nutes.

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Vash said:
B1, this will be an organic mix that I'm planting into, not soilless. What I did gather from your post was how long my roots should be. In the past, i allowed them to get a lot longer than that, which could have wound up being a bad thing. Thanks for your advice.

Peat and coir based grow mediums are refered to as "soiless".
Burn1

Last edited:

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks, Time2Unite, that was my main concern. I will be using nutes such as guanos, compost teas,etc.

senseless

i plant clones from my ez clone into soil all the time, some have short roots 3" minimum, and some have 1 1/2 foot roots. they all do fine. the ones with longer ones take better/faster. i found that they will root faster and grow twice as fast if planted in a 1 gallon container compared to a beer cup or something small too.

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
senseless said:
i plant clones from my ez clone into soil all the time, some have short roots 3" minimum, and some have 1 1/2 foot roots. they all do fine. the ones with longer ones take better/faster. i found that they will root faster and grow twice as fast if planted in a 1 gallon container compared to a beer cup or something small too.

Thanks, Senseless. From what I've gathered from you and Burn1, seems that I might have a little "play" in the time to plant the rooted clones. You answered one of the questions that I had concerning the fact of what would happen if the roots were longer than 1/2 inch. I tend to let them lay there in the cloner for a while sometimes and the roots get very long.

Again, thanks for everyones' input. The information gathered from just these few threads has been immense. I've got some wonderful strains, and I don't want to :fsu: .

G

i have one 2 still in the box and i am a organic grower.i thought if i planted in a coco perilite,earth worm castings,then feed with low dose of fish 5-1-1 and karma.then transplant to a biger bucket of peat based supper soil vics ,then veg some more and feed pure blend grow and earth juice grow,