What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Eye safety and HPS

Jedi

"Madam, Miss Otis regrets, she's unable to lunch t
ICMag Donor
Hey fellas......

I bet some of u cant wait for the lights to come on and inspect the grow....
And don't you love staring at your buds ,...i know i do..

anyways.........has anybody had any eye problems from staring at your grow too long....???

Do some wear sunglasses....??
what about genuine Polaroids vs cheapskates..??

just a thought.... :rasta:

R

Raistlin Majere

i wear my sunglasses at night

got my regular specs tinted 30% green just for this reason
i wear them all the time so it helps outside in the sun as well :joint:

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I try to always wear my lightly tinted shooting glasses. I am certain that any HID is not a good thing to be staring at.

inflorescence

Veteran
Jedi said:
I bet some of u cant wait for the lights to come on and inspect the grow....

OR you could have a simple incandescant come on 30 mins prior to the HPS and get your work done under non-threating conditions.

It's only during the dark period when a light change will affect the plant.

During the day you can turn off hps's and turn on incandescants at will and the plant will have no idea there is even a change. (ever heard of a cloud?).

just don't inspect the plants at night and all is good.

Last edited:

SweetNightmare

The first day I had my 600 lumatek blasting I had a white spot in my vision for a while... sporting sunglasses at night now cuz yes I love to stare! That and glass are death traps for your eyes lol

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Sight requires light. As you age, accumulation of lipofuscin (cellular debris) in the retinal pigment epithelium (RPE) may make our retina more sensitive to damage from chronic light exposure. Retinal light damage has been thoroughly studied, and even though some studies disagree, blue light waves seem to be especially bad to those with macular (the macula is an oval yellow spot near the center of the retina of the human eye) problems (due to genetics, nutrition, environment and aging). It's generally referred to as Blue Light Hazard (induced retinal injury resulting from radiation exposure at wavelengths primarily between 400 nm and 500 nm).
Although the shorter wavelengths of UV-A and UV-B are somewhat filtered by the lens and cornea, animal studies have shown that the light spectrum from UV through blue can be harmful. During lengthy exposures of up to 12 hours, toxicity of the retina is known to increase as the light wavelengths grow shorter. Fortunately, healthy retinas have a wide array of built-in chemical defenses against UV-blue light damage. These defenses weaken with disease, injury, neglect and age, so some people can take more and others less.
As to High Pressure Sodium lights, they are less in the danger zone compared to lights with higher blue light and UV-A and B output, such as Metal Halides, and there shouldn't be any permanent damage caused to the retinas from occasional growroom visits. Still, when a light stings your eyes, it's never a good sign. Turn away.

i were uv sunglasses and a hat...1000w feels like there gonna boil my brain..i also have a green bulbed led headlamp for lights out emergency inspections..

FarmerTed

I say better safe than sorry. I wear a hat, sunglasses and try not to look up into the bulb/reflector. I know i'm going to look so why risk it when it only takes a second to put them on?

Jedi

"Madam, Miss Otis regrets, she's unable to lunch t
ICMag Donor
Hi thanx for that technical info....@ Rosy Cheeks

Great...i,m glad some ppl gave it a thought and do take preventive steps......

I mean........its difficult enough to face very bright sunlight when i,m stoned...
now this......!!

LOL..........

A

Azeotrope

HPS???? LOLOLOL I am going to fall over laughing!!! HPS have crap for anything in the UV or Blue end. That is why they flat SUCK for growing QUALITY herb. Get CMH bulbs and then you will need sunglasses. :smoke:

Linenoise

I don't get much problem from my HPS. The CFLs I have on the other hand...sometimes when I accidentally let that light get into my direct vision I am bothered for a few minutes. My MH definitely casuses more problems than my HPS.

sarek

I suspect that you need to divide between harmful wavelengths (quality) vs quanity (1000W light 2 feet from your face). They are probably both bad, in different ways.

They have great sunglasses that cost just $10 -20 that go over prescription glasses. These are great. The quality of light that comes thru is good and since the edges come to your face they block everything. They are google really, not sunglasses where lots of light can get in around the sides.

Cheap sunglasses disaffected the quality of light that came thru making it harder to discern what i was doing.

I used to scoff at glasses not wear these goggles cos I realized my eyes are sorta important........ EVERYBODY whould get sun goggles and leave them for everybody to wear, especially if u r in there all the time.

Furthermore, this is probably one of those ironic issues, where growers will buy himalayan bat shit and other organic ingredients and spend tons of effort and money to avoid toxins while simultaneously poisoning their eyes under HPS light without a thought.

If this were a regulated industry I am sure OSHA waould mandate goggles for working under 1000W lights and companies that did not provide them would be called scum.

If you run a growroom and do not mandate these for regular visitors, that makes you no better than the corporations you hate.........ouch.

Last edited:
P

plugged

sarek said:
If you run a growroom and do not mandate these for regular visitors, that makes you no better than the corporations you hate.........ouch.

Lies!

People can choose to wear glasses if they want to while in my room. I'm not gonna tell them they have to. They aren't my employees.

wygram

Some time ago, the Washington DC Chapter of NECA issued a warning about eye burn hazard from exposure to HID lighting. We recommended mounting luminaires at a high level in the work area to minimize employee exposure, and turning off HID fixtures when people were working in an elevated position near them.

Recently, a chapter member company had a job site incident that resulted in multiple sub-contractor employees having eye problems; one employee’s eyes swelling almost closed due to injury. The HID lamp had been cracked and wasn’t the self-extinguishing type.

In 1998, the Department of Consumer and Employment Protection in Western Australia published a safety and health alert regarding mercury vapor and metal halide lamps due to an incident at a public event. Since then, the Food and Drug Administration has also issued a warning on the subject.

FDA, Title 21, Vol. 8, Revised 4/1/05, (21CFR1040.31) is a radiological health performance standard for light emitting products sets standards for lighting products manufactured after 3/7/1980.

Within the standard, any lamp that is non self-extinguishing, must have the letter “R” and warnings of skin or eye inflammation from shortwave ultraviolet radiation if the outer envelope is broken. On their web site, they have added the following recommendation for warning about using the non self extinguishing bulbs:

WARNING: This lamp can cause serious skin burns and eye inflammation from shortwave ultraviolet radiation if outer envelope of the lamp is broken or punctured. Do not use where people will remain more than a few minutes unless adequate shielding or other safety precautions are used. Lamps that will automatically extinguish when the outer envelope is broken are commercially available.

terminalc

Farmer
ICMag Donor
Well, guess i'll be going to get some shades... lol. For detecting when hps bulbs are going out you almost have to look directly at them, well i guess you could use a lux meter. Anyway it can't be good for your eyes.

Latest posts

Latest posts