What's new

Eye Hortilux Vs. Regular HPS bulb

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
Agromax huh, okay... I'll take a crack at them.... VERTICALLY.

I've used em like that too, put a 600w Agromax hanging vertically on a lightmover to cover the outer overgrown portion of a bio-bucket setup. It worked great! One thing, I'd recommend getting the Gavita Dew-Guard, it's worth it just for the adjustability of the mogul socket alone, full 360 degree adjustability, which helps to position the bulb just right. I think I paid like 70 bucks for em when I bought them a few years ago...You could probably DIY something if you wanted, but if you have the dough they're worth it.

bookbinder

I used horti's 'cause back in the 80's they were the only conversion hps avail, hope i'm not confusing brands 'n' facts (gettin old) I ran fours, as did my guru (lord Schoenmaker) but bein' the ch$$p bastud I beed, I'd only fork out for m.h. ballasts 'n' they was beautifo. for 360W (ya lose some W's w/conversions but gain in spectrum) I was capturing 2/3 to 3/4+ lb's with m-31. By the way when i saw rez's willem's on the 'tique I licked my chops at the prospect of a possible male as my girls were gettin' tired after twenty five years 'n' always getting overcome and "pest"erd (the wee nasties don't ya no) but rez's WW just wasn't hittin' it, real effen close though! (good work my man). Of my sensei's pack of beans I never got a male, weird but true. Ah! but alas i beed kickin' me ass now a'cause the girls are in a better place R.I.P and close was better than nothing - so's that's all I knowed bouts the hortilux's. There is always better 'n' more'er and I shoulda dun dis or dat, so doan chase yer tails too much as you'll never ken it all - my exp/W digi's is i've gone through a couple 600's ef'em, but still own but one out of eight of the hy'farm's 400 maggies 'n' still firing away all - holly shit! they'er 20+ yrs old too! I just never thought about it till now. Well Ill stop babblin' now & thanks for having old critters on your post. --- R.T.BOOKBINDER III

RugerBaby

Autos are for pussies!
Veteran
reflectorized 600w Agromax, 95000 lum. and no hood required. runs so much cooler than a standard hps. I have it in a hood because I need a cord set, soon. That is the brightest damn lamp I have seen. uniform footprint. I think it would be better for someone with a space that is wider in one direction. But well worth it at $50 on ebay

nice to know, I just received a Agromax conversion bulb from HTG
:woohoo:

I was supposed to receive a cheap grow bright bulb but got this instead!!

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
At the moment I am testing some GIB (German Company) FS-XTreme 600W HPS.

I am impressed with the blue content and noticeable stronger output.
I actually needed to move lights higher to prevent burn. So far so good for the second grow using them and price seems OK.

One question:

Do Plantastars have the highest PAR of all 600w HPS?

I came across that statement several times and wish to clarify if possible.

Thank you.

gators7

i went with the 20 dollar home depot bulb cause i saw a few posts by rez sayin the expensive bulbs were a waste, that its better to change the cheap ones every grow or every other.

theres no way im replacin an 80 dollar bulb every few grows

T

THC_Decapitator

I like the hortilux because there reliable first .There also durable and have a great spectrum . GE makes great inexpensive HPS bulbs that work fine if you need something cheaper .I have noticed the bulbs claiming tons of output etc flicker on the start up more and sometimes never even fired up .like the osram bulb for example

S

spacecaser

Ive used these bulbs in combination in the past: Philips(regular hps?),Sylvania Plantastar, and -Eye Hortilux- 1kw HPS bulbs.
At one point these were in 3 sun system vertizonal reflectors and powered by 3 identical magnetic ballasts in the same room. The Hortilux always stood out as the brightest and most dynamic light. Never noticed any huge diff in growth under the hortilux but harvest proved these buds to be noticeably harder. The Sylvania and Philips were good bulbs but were heavy on the red/orange side compared to Hortilux.:2cents:

If I was shopping for 1kw HPS bulbs, I would buy Eye Hortilux everytime;)

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Hortilux do very well in mag ballasts. Digital ballasts not so much. There are better options for digitals. I love Solarmax bulbs in my digis.

L

LJB

Which Eye Hortilux 1000HPS have you all used in the side-by-side comparisons?

I know of the SuperHPS and the UltraAceEN Conversion models.

Just going by the available charts, the Eye Hortilux SuperHPS appears to have the best spectral distribution amongst the known HPS bulbs.

Nigel

Truth be told, the only reason I still use a Hortilux eye is because they have the least compatibility issues with digital ballasts. (I run a 600w Galaxy).
The Lumen rating is the lowest I've seen for a 600watter (88,000) compared to other name brand hps bulbs and they're damn near twice the price. BUT...I have peace of mind knowing I have a quality bulb.

Totally off topic..Mad Season (above)..Bad ass album... one of my favs. Havn't listened to that one 4 awhile...going to look for it LOL !

S

spacecaser

Which Eye Hortilux 1000HPS have you all used in the side-by-side comparisons?

I know of the SuperHPS and the UltraAceEN Conversion models.

Just going by the available charts, the Eye Hortilux SuperHPS appears to have the best spectral distribution amongst the known HPS bulbs.

Id believe it.
I know the Eye is better than Philips and Sylvania's best 1kw bulbs. But its possible theres something better out there. You would have to test them all to know for sure I guess lol.
As far as lower wattage HPS from Eye, I have know Idea. I have never used HPS under 1kw so I cant say if the lower watt Eye's are just as good as the 1kw Hortilux.

*And the Eye Hortilux "SuperHPS" is the one;)
My first grow was with a 1kw Eye SuperHPS. It was used for several harvests and went on to another location where it was used in combo w/ brand new HPS bulbs(philips, & Plantastar bulbs) The Eye was still the brightest among these bulbs even after it had been used for multiple harvests.
And the magnetic vs digi ballast thing... I havent used a digi ballast so I cant comment on that. But they work everytime in a magnetic ballast.
picture.php

gators7

im trying a regular bulb for my first time ever this grow. just couldnt ignore the fact that rez said they work fine, seems like he knows what hes doing.....and it saved me 60 bucks, so now im just going to change the bulb every grow.

hope i didnt make a mistake, with a 400 i wanna be getting as much as I can light wise out of it

whadeezlrg

Just Say Grow
Veteran
anybody have experience with sunmasters? when I switched into 12/12 in my current run one of the sunmasters popped after 20min of bieng turned on, I replaced it with a hortilux with probably 4 months use, temporarily until I could get over to the store. to me it seemed that the hortilux burned hotter than the sunmaster. Also, from what I could tell the hortilux side of my 2k setup did not grow as much in the stretch phase, considering the fact that the side under the hortilux also had the slightly larger veg plants. hortilux has been replaced with another sunmaster now, so we'll see how it goes

L

LJB

Id believe it.
I know the Eye is better than Philips and Sylvania's best 1kw bulbs. But its possible theres something better out there. You would have to test them all to know for sure I guess lol.
As far as lower wattage HPS from Eye, I have know Idea. I have never used HPS under 1kw so I cant say if the lower watt Eye's are just as good as the 1kw Hortilux.

I know of one person that is planning on testing bulbs and making one set of charts based on his criteria...

The spectral charts are not perfect. We have to assume the conditions (distance from the bulb, etc.) for every test by every company are not the same. But that being said, they are the best and least expensive tool if the manufacturers will provide them.

Jibman

I use two 600 watt lumatek digital ballasts with the Eye Hortilux bulbs and never had a problem. But i am open to trying other brands/types.

Latest posts

Latest posts