What's new

Extractor Parts and Equipment

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We like them because they fit, which is important in the larger sizes. The quality is also consistently higher.

I was never able to get Viton gaskets from China in the larger sizes that fit, so we now buy all our gaskets from domestic sources.

Assembling our first 20 Chinese Mk IV and V Terpenator kits, including the bottom of the collection spare tanks, highlighted how important gasket fit is, and reminded me of colorful descriptive terms that I typically don't give voice to, with the same mouth I kiss my wife and puppy with.

I also like the design of the Newman gasket, which not only fits, but has an outer alignment ring, that eases installation.

JColtrane

Yup ... they fit. When you use something over and over, fitting is important. Good company, and based in Ohio I think. They're screen gaskets are great, and can make any sock gasket to order (although its a 12wk wait) Real fair price's ... which encourage's me to replace instead of "just going with it" cuz gaskets are expensive. "Bee Knee's" cuz they keep the train rolling, and that's important. They're on the list with Haskle

Dab Strudel

Newman apparently gives not-so-technical names to their product line. That being said, are we "standard clamp gaskets" or one of the other choices??

Sunfire

Veteran
I'm not positive but the external lip on the gasket to help seat it is an option from brewers hardware I think I remember seeing. High mesh screen gaskets that fit well would be awesome. The 200 mesh 4" ones my buddy gave me are all worped and concave and are a bitch to seat right. The 150 mesh ones from glacier are better but still a little concave.

Anybody have a usa source? I emailed Newman and they said to find a distributor. They gave me one option Sani-tech west but that site isn't working for me.

Sunfire

Veteran
Just got off the phone with dwight, the owner of jet gasket and seal company, their website is brewerygaskets.com, which he spent 45 minutes talking to me.

Pretty much he said that the actual components and process of making the fkf viton can vary and that's what causes crappie ones and quality ones. Glacier wouldn't tell me who their supplier is or any info at all. Dwight gladly shared it all. He said he participates in trade shows and does a lot of investigating. I ordered some 150 mesh viton gaskets and he offered to send me free 120 mesh viton gaskets if I shared my findings with him about quality. The reason being that the 150 mesh comes from california, and the 120 come from vietnam. He also said that these gaskets should easily handle 400 psi of pressure. He did say that 150 is so fine it does make the gasket appear about 1/16" small but just the weight of a blank ferrule pushes into the seat. The ones from glacier I have to press and wiggle and it's a bitch, he said that certainly isn't right. I also told him how after only 3 uses the ones from glacier are already showing the screen through the viton now. He also agreed that isn't right.

I'm so excited to have some proper gaskets and they are in Vegas so that's pretty darn close. Anyways, Permacultoure obviously likes them, I'm freaking stoked to talk to an owner for 45 minutes and can't wait to get these bad boys in the mail.*

As for now, I will definitely recomend this company for their business ethics but I will update my findings after I get them and use them a few times.

Chonkski

Just got off the phone with dwight, the owner of jet gasket and seal company, their website is brewerygaskets.com, which he spent 45 minutes talking to me.

Pretty much he said that the actual components and process of making the fkf viton can vary and that's what causes crappie ones and quality ones. Glacier wouldn't tell me who their supplier is or any info at all. Dwight gladly shared it all. He said he participates in trade shows and does a lot of investigating. I ordered some 150 mesh viton gaskets and he offered to send me free 120 mesh viton gaskets if I shared my findings with him about quality. The reason being that the 150 mesh comes from california, and the 120 come from vietnam. He also said that these gaskets should easily handle 400 psi of pressure. He did say that 150 is so fine it does make the gasket appear about 1/16" small but just the weight of a blank ferrule pushes into the seat. The ones from glacier I have to press and wiggle and it's a bitch, he said that certainly isn't right. I also told him how after only 3 uses the ones from glacier are already showing the screen through the viton now. He also agreed that isn't right.

I'm so excited to have some proper gaskets and they are in Vegas so that's pretty darn close. Anyways, Permacultoure obviously likes them, I'm freaking stoked to talk to an owner for 45 minutes and can't wait to get these bad boys in the mail.*

As for now, I will definitely recomend this company for their business ethics but I will update my findings after I get them and use them a few times.

Good to know, thanks for sharing!

They have been my supplier since day one.

Recovery Bath Pots

Recovery Bath Pots

Greetings All,

I'm having some problems locating large appropriate pots for my recovery baths (needs to be SS so that I can weld 1/2" nipples on it for the preheat coil). Most of the SS pots that are wide enough are too tall to fit the 12x12 spool in for a water bath. I need something that fits the 12 x 12, in and out with ease, and also leaves enough room for a 1/2" pre heat coil to wrap around the inner surface of the bath tank, something wide but short. Most pots I have found that are wide enough are too tall for a 12"- 18" spool to fit in and out properly. Hey GW where do you get your recover bath pots from, are they brewery kettles or commercial kitchen pots, or...?

Thanks for your thoughts Guys. :tiphat:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Greetings All,

I'm having some problems locating large appropriate pots for my recovery baths (needs to be SS so that I can weld 1/2" nipples on it for the preheat coil). Most of the SS pots that are wide enough are too tall to fit the 12x12 spool in for a water bath. I need something that fits the 12 x 12, in and out with ease, and also leaves enough room for a 1/2" pre heat coil to wrap around the inner surface of the bath tank, something wide but short. Most pots I have found that are wide enough are too tall for a 12"- 18" spool to fit in and out properly. Hey GW where do you get your recover bath pots from, are they brewery kettles or commercial kitchen pots, or...?

Thanks for your thoughts Guys. :tiphat:

They are heavy aluminum and come from Hong's Restaurant Supply, Portland, Or. 503-284-7800.

That is where we also get our stainless heat exchanger pots, when they are in stock, and they do have some fat short stainless ones.

SS/PTFE lined hoses Vs a hot water bath

SS/PTFE lined hoses Vs a hot water bath

Will our SS/PTFE lined hoses stand up to being immersed in a 85-100F water bath?

I am trying to design and build a small 1/2" preheating coil to sit in my recovery pot bath, connecting my recovery spool to my pump, to preheat the butane prior to entering the recovery pump, to ensure only vapor enters the pump.

Idealy it would be self draining, but if I hard plumb in a SS coil into the recover pot bath it would make self draining difficult but if I could use the flexible SS/PTFE lines it would be easy to drain the lines completely.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Kindly! :tiphat:

Mrsmarybrown i highly suggest you look into shotgun condensers/heat exchangers. It would heat your gas over a much shorter distance with a lot less resistance. And no ptfe to worry about. Just put a water pump in your warm bath and circulate it through the condenser. Check out stilldragon.com for some off the shelf ones.

To answer your question though, Yes ptfe will be fine at those temps. Just think of Teflon cookware ;)

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Will our SS/PTFE lined hoses stand up to being immersed in a 85-100F water bath?

I am trying to design and build a small 1/2" preheating coil to sit in my recovery pot bath, connecting my recovery spool to my pump, to preheat the butane prior to entering the recovery pump, to ensure only vapor enters the pump.

Idealy it would be self draining, but if I hard plumb in a SS coil into the recover pot bath it would make self draining difficult but if I could use the flexible SS/PTFE lines it would be easy to drain the lines completely.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you Kindly! :tiphat:

Upper limits on PTFE are around 500F so you are good at 100F.

Latest posts

Latest posts