What's new

Extraction with diethylic ether

Locoporro

Hi IC Fellows

I wanted to have more opinion about the extraction with the ether diethylic, without BHT cuz it give bad taste (those are stabilizers which slow down the evaporation of ether) ....

I heard it's one of the powerful solvent ... and it evaporates itself to 99%

I want precise that the guy who explained to me how to make this extraction is not a joker who plays with chemicals in his backyard , he's a "scientist" and has a chromatograph and all that stuff... :biggrin:

He said to me that with a good technic, it is possible to reach 98% of purity
The technic as he explained to me

1/Take dry weed and chop it up in little pieces

2/ Pour Ether and cover the weed

3/ Shake it during 3 min and pour the same quantity of water (you keep the ether)

4/ Let it chill for 5 min ... (in the fridge, like that the ether doesnt evaporate)

5/ Put the mix in the freezer for 5 min

6/ Separate the two phases, keeping the ether (with a glass pipette , not plastic)

7/You can wash the result with distillate water and 1ml/L of alcool to reach a product near 98% ....

8/ Let's evaporate ....

Here you normally don't extract any chlorophyll at all, however, you created an emulsion able of extracting the cannabinoids.

Keep me in touch

But it was my first ether extraction , so ... i didnt succeed it as well as i wanted to do ... i will tell what i did and what problems i had

The vegetal material used was some manucure already pollinatorised...

I place jar the jar of weed in the freezer .... then i pour the ether on the weed to cover it .... i shake hardly ... then i store it in the freezer for 8-10 minutes .

(there is no more ether, there)
P1170400.jpg

I filter it with a screen , there is the moment i had problems , ether is such a powerful solvent that it clogs my screen .... i had this joke twice ... so the time of extracting has been increased in spite of me ( cuz i had to pour it again in the jar which was containing the material)

I didnt know it was better to use a pipette to get back the organic phase ... instead of screening :hide:

I think the ether stayed for 15 minutes in the herb material , a little too much ... (i would prefer 8 minutes)

OH Yeah , ALL Material used was in GLASS... i think it's important

- i pour like 4 times the quantity of ether with water .....and here begins the "shaking time" to extract the chlorophyl in the water

i like this way cuz i have the feeling, that the washed oil is more clean (i could easily mislead myself)

Here is the "Cactus Juice"

P1170325.jpg

-During the washing, you have to let "chill" the solution to the fridge for 30 minutes , every washing :whistling:

This is the result of the first washing

P1170322.jpg

We see well the 3 stratas .... water +chlorophyle+ cannabinoids

After a another washing /shaking , second , if u followed me

P1170334.jpg

We see really well that the washing has extracted a lot of chlorophyle , water looks less greener than before ...

I did 5 washing with shaking and let it chill for 30 min , each washing to have the cleaner water possible ... :dance013:

I dont have pics of each washing ... would be interesting but i was too much in the extraction work

After 30 minutes, each washing , i unscrewed the cap of the bottle glass and i let evacuate the dirty water .... ( be careful your extraction doesnt go with the water cuz you are watching away too high ...^^ )

And pour again new clean water ...

The result after 5 washing is

P1170354.jpg

P1170339.jpg

P1170342.jpg

I have to admit that the guy didnt know why the oil was in little pieces like that in water , (i maybe think cuz the quality of water , i should wash it with distilate water instead of the general distribution water)

P1170377.jpg

P1170380.jpg

P1170385.jpg

The texture of this oil surprises me a lot .... it looks a lot like the "budder" .... guyz are talking a lot about

If it's that ... thoses guyzs should have golden balls (rich$$$) if you look at the amount of vegetal i used :biggrin: (but i think it's more bho heated if i remember)

i have to admit that i am not really a solvent/oil fan , i just wanted to used and already sifted manucure ... and wanted to try something else than BHO ...

I dont want to play what's the best extraction (i prefer dry sift) method , but just want to know opinion of people who have already done that .... and share this technic if it's good

sorry if there was already an ether thread

Thanks M8tes

Best wishes for the new year :huggg:

Loco

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I just did a comparison of bubble vs QWISO, using 1 # of cleaned trim.

QWISO yielded 36 grams and took about an hour to make.

Bubble yielded 6.5 grams and took about 2 hours to make, and its clearly got more vegation in it.

So QWISO is half the work, and 6 times the yield of better product.

QWISO is the winner in my book, I can get gallons of 99% ISO online for $19, and don't even need any special equipment. Just some coffee filters (or paper towels) and some alcohol. Take 1 gallon of ISO to wash 1# of trim.

I hope to repeat your extraction with ether, maybe use ethanol first to extract cannabinoids from plant matter, then use ether to extract from ethanol, save on amount of ether used and no plant material to clog filter. This is how books explain how to do ether extraction.

Looks a good job, how does it taste

Please please be careful of keeping ether in fridge or freezer. If ether escapes from extraction glass into fridge and forms a ether gas pool, one source of ignition could be very very bad. Please be careful and be safe

reckon

Bubble yielded 6.5 grams and took about 2 hours to make, and its clearly got more vegation in it.

QWISO is the winner in my book, I can get gallons of 99% ISO online for $19, and don't even need any special equipment. Just some coffee filters (or paper towels) and some alcohol. Take 1 gallon of ISO to wash 1# of trim.

+ 1

I'm an old guy, been doing extractions since the mid seventies, and I have tried just about EVERY method around, and invented several more.

if I look at how much product goes in, how much the "solvent" costs, how LONG the procedure takes (from buds to bowl), how much "extract" I get back, (most importantly) how QUALITY the end result is, and how DANGEROUS the procedure is, QWISO is the hands down winner in every category.

it's the only way I extract now: safe, clean, fast, quality, and EASY.

:dance013:

hempmajor

Nice extraction it seem to be potent and chlorophyl-free :smokeit: I think your result is too thick because there wasn't much ether who was dissolved in the water even the temperature was kept low however for a first time it seem good :artist: maybe next time will have beter yield .
best regards

Hemp'

miaumiau

ICMag Donor
hey reckon, how many seconds do you prefer with the quickwash(iso) method......and do you do a second run with the same trim? THANKS!

titoon29

Travelling Cannagrapher Penguin !
Veteran
very nice experiment loco ! it seems diethylic ether is quite dangerous, inflammable, toxic.. i m not sure i would want to use that.

but you did it quite nicely ! great job ! a smoke report would be cool !

Originally Posted by Lazyman View Post

6 times more yield with qwiso than bubble ? from the same ammount of plant material ? i thought bubble extraction was a lot more efficient !

++

reckon

hey reckon, how many seconds do you prefer with the quickwash(iso) method......and do you do a second run with the same trim? THANKS!

(apologies for the brief thread hijack)

I will admit to being a qwiso noob (only done it since I read about it in here couple months ago) but I do have a very strong chemistry background, and I have been making cannabis extracts for something like 30 years now.

I go for a QUICK 20 second wash, and I mean the sample CANNOT be in the alcohol for longer than 25 seconds IF you expect a moldable, hard end result.

I actually started using a cocktail shaker (feels more like mixing a drink, than cooking up drugs), because of the built in strainer, so I add the sample (3 to 5 grams) and add the alcohol (maybe 3/4 cup?), shake with a GENTLE motion for 20 secs, and drain into a cone filter stand sitting in my pie dish (evaporation plate).

so far I have not run the sample through again a second time, as all I have used is fan leaves and trim/shake, but if I will use better quality buds, then YES, I would go for an additional 25 second more vigorous shaking, and then evap all of it.

I like using an OIL bath instead of water, I used a water bath the first time I did it and I got some condensation in the oil because of the steam escaping around the dish, which was no biggie, I just microwaved the dish for a couple of minutes to get rid of the trapped moisture.

(we now return you to the regularly scheduled thread topic, with an additional apology and a bong hit) :smokeit:

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Yes, same amount of plant material, 6 times the yield. I did a few runs with just a single 30 second wash, and a second 30-second wash with the same trim. The second wash yielded about 1/3 the first wash, so now I do a 60 second wash. I feel like I'm hijacking so maybe I'll do a thread of my own on the tek I use, works great.

Locoporro

Hi Everybody

@TexasToker: thanks M8

@zenoonez: smoke report is below ^^

@Lazyman & Reckon

As i said in the beginning of this thread

I dont want to play what's the best extraction (i prefer dry sift) method , but just want to know opinion of people who have already done that .... and share this technic if it's good
I am really happy you are glad with qwiso, thanks to share your experience

as tittoon, i am a little surprised by the ratio of bubble (at least , not 6x ) but if you say so i belive you

But i prefer we stay focused on others solvents than iso in this thread ....

Reckon, plz feel free to respond to someone answering something , not your fault, seems normal to me ...

Best vibes to u

@Telegraphist: Yeah , for sure , you have to be certain that the cap of the jar is well closed, especially when the fridge has a ignition start , thanks to make it remember to everybody... completely forgot but it seems normal when you manipulate somme flamable chemicals :dunno:

Maybe some informations below will interest you

Good luck for your extraction , and yeah i think too i wasted a lot of ether ...

@Ice Toker : Thx

@HempMajor: Hi amigo , this extract is not 100% chloro free , exo said to me , but i am glad with the quality and the amount (i have 3 littles containers of first grade hash of the same manucure), thx for the extra explaination ...

-----------------------------------------------------------

So the guy who explained to me this technic did a tuto , i think he first extracted the cannabinoids with absolute ethanol 90° (i think we cant use ethanol cuz there is methanol which is toxic )

He analyzes the product with a spectroflamme

Sorry for the scientifical terms... i tried my best with the translation :dunno:
-22% de protéins (absorbance à 280 nm)
-10% de several salts (Chromatographie échangeuse d'ions)
-7% enzymatic cofactors (spectro de flamme)
-61% de cannabinoids (HPLC)

He purified 3 times the product.... with some process ...

then , there it is , Not purified product to the left , purified to the right

pure.jpg

98% of cannabinoids
2% of others

Hope he doesnt bother i put his pic here :biggrin: exo ;-)

There was also a guy named DrKnott who was on french forums and og , i think

DrKnott , doest it remember something to anybody

He was a wise scientific guy who did some beautiful extractions

I allow myself to quote him...

We need a nonpolar solvent and immiscible with water (very important!). The easiest and one of the best, is the hexane. But we can use Heptane, Octane, Pentane (the best), Toluene, Cyclohexane, Dichloromethane, Chloroform, Diethylether
There is the tab he used
Solvents_polarit.jpg

Some Pics from him

Toluene and clean water ...
fraction3.jpg

huile_hexane.jpg

Crystalised Thc
thcextractionEt2O.jpg

I always drooled on this cubic thc crystal :biggrin:

@Titoon29

Hey amigo, best wishes for 2010

Are u fine ?

For sure, its flamable , dangerous and toxic but could you say me one solvent which is not, except butter :biggrin: (hexane, best solvent is a hydrocarbure,butane is used for lighters ,ect..)

Look at the list from Knott (faq from fcf, if u want the link pm) you will be suprised , like chloroform :whistling:

The describtion of isopropanol(isopropilic)
Isopropyl alcohol is flammable and irritating. It should be kept away from heat and flame. Symptoms of poisoning with isopropanol resulting in headaches, dizziness, mental depression, nausea, vomiting, coma, and narcolepsy.

Sounds great too no :biggrin: ?
I used ether cuz exo used it in his lab and i heard it's one of the powerful solvent and it evaporates itself to 99% , i tried for that

I wanted to test something new ... but i think the result could look much better ...

As i already said, the product looks nice for a manucure already sifted just for the first grade hash ... i am glad of the amount, you only need a few to make a joint "canard laqué" :biggrin:

Some pîcs
P1170467.jpg

P1170459-1.jpg

P1170471-1.jpg

I have to say that i am more better to describe the odors of differents weed (i love to smell differents weed,differents samples, i am often disapointed by the taste , i find a weed awesome when it's taste is close than it's odor) , than describing the effects .... but i will try my best ...

So i rolled a big reverse joint , i took some oil on a knive heat a lillte just to make it less solid (oh it become more solid and darker cuz i store it in the freezer ) i began to spread the oil on all the joint like butter on bread heating the knive to do that

The odor of the oil is really floral/fresh/fruity with a hint of alcool/ether , it reminds me the cocacola , i dont know why :dunno: ,it was the manucure of my multivariety session so there are a lot of differents terpens

So the report for you ... i begin NOW

When i light the joint , the smoke is harsh , with a good taste, after some tokes , i begin to feal some heat in my forehead with a strong buzz, something is tickling in the neck ... whooo i am hot ... my hands are sweatin ... my mind is away but my body responds well , hummm it was what i was thinkin , after the half of a joint really thick (have a clean smoketrash however all roaches are gonna stick on you joint^^) i stand up ... strong buzz in the head directly, high loss of balance, i drink a glass of water ...and i go back on the computer... the screen is really shiny .... my envy to do this smoke report just felt down to 0 .... :biggrin: ... i have bloodshoot eyes ... i am in a mellow , smooth cocoon ... i have a heat which covers me like an "aura" as jesus or God :biggrin:

My capacity to speak english felt too to 0... :biggrin: i tried to read back to correct most of errors (i assure you^^)

I am really high , this is what i know ... :dance013:

But the high is like bho, qwiso , too much thc , it's too damned strong for me ... it's good for hardcore smokers who have a great tolerance ... but not for me (maybe this piece of jelly hahs was too much) i only smoke the evening with a clear mind and this is definetly Too Much...

I tried my best , buddies

Hope you enjoy...

Loco

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Cool stuff, and thanks for the smoke report! Is Diethylic ether the same as petroleum ether?

Behold THE GRAIL!!

Behold THE GRAIL!!

Hi Loco

I bow before you and the knowledge that you have, i hope we will be seeing more alchemy from you in the future

The tech info is gold to me, that what i want to know and that pic, that is the grail to many

Sign me up for the your chemistry class, i plan to try various alkane hydrocarbons and compare them to ketones and alcohols and ethers. I have found alcohols and ketones took more than cannabiniods from the plant material and disolved plant oils and other molecules with them

Keep up the good work

Hey lazyman

There is a slight diference with petroleum ether it is not so volitile as di-ethyl ether so slightly safer from flash

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
I used methanol to do an extraction and you end up with a gooey sludge the color of black Italian marble - it had gray streaks in it and some greenish gray hues perhaps, but I have problems with colors so don't get hung up on it. Put it in the freezer (in standard wax paper) and it turns into a rock. You shave off of it with an exacto blade and melt it in your pipe and oh, boy. It really hits you like a blast. You sweat, you groan, you panic. Pain? Yeah, I had this terrible headache (as usual) but the intensity is now gone from a 7 to a 3. Very doable.

Lots of ways to play ball, one ball to play with.

Locoporro

Hey guyz

I read back my text and wwhooo i was high as helll ... :biggrin:

I tought to something this morning , when i did the extraction , a great amount of oil was stuck on the sides of the bottle , so i pour a few ml of ether in the bottle and shake it vigorosly , and this is a THIS exact moment , the oil became in pieces !!!!!

Is it possible i crystalyse the oil with the diethylether without knowing it (this question is for exo, the mad scientist .... :whistling:)

@Lazyman: thanks m8, no it's not the same ether...

@Telegraphist :

Hey too muchh kind words buddy , dont be fooled by the internent game, i am just a pothead like you , i was interested before to the extraction with chemicals but now iam not in it too much anymore

Iam just a monkey who repeat what guyz who know what they are talking about , taught him ... :whistling: even if i have some chemical basics

But i have access to good informations , to good tuto like the one from Dr Knott, i could also ask if the guy who did the 98% extract could enlight us from his knowledge ... (just kiddin^^ )

I think he knows how to crystalize THC whith diethylether .... I have to ask him to come over ...

@Mdp: Buddy , this thread is for masochist people not for suicidal .... methanol is used to spoil the ethanol, they pour in 5% of methanol as additive and the alcohol is no more consumable ,like that people cant make their own alcohol for 5 euro ... and some anise powder to make pastis...

I can perfectly understand you had some serious headache cuz the methanol is a serious neurotoxic !!!!!!!!!

Please be careful m8 ... :huggg:

Best vibes to you ALL

Loco

ElRubio

Veteran
Hola Loco:
wtf... crazy experiment, thank you very much for share it.
jelly+bho?... and what do you do after smoke that rocket? hehehe

That Dr. Knott ´s pics are GREAT...hexane...:) that must kill you!!

Best vibes all and thx again!!