What's new

External monitor help

nycjb

OK so I get my 24" in the mail today and of course its not going as planned. The laptop that im using is an HP G60 with no screen, it broke and I took it off. I thought it would be plug and play but nope. It works fine on a Dell laptop, picked up the external right away. Ive tried holding FN+f4 but no luck. I feel like HP has it setup like this on purpose so you HAVE TO replace the screen. I thought it might work with HDMI so i ran out and bought a cable but still nothing. Im ready to smash this thing. I know all I have to do is get into the computer and change settings but HOW?? I really have a deep hatred for HP computers, they are designed to break after 1 year. And they lock the bios!?!?

Am I fucked?

soulfly22583

Trust me.. I'm A Professional..
Veteran
I just looked up the specs and you should be able to backdoor your way into it. One issue is that if the laptop has a BIOS setting for no external display and its activated then its gonna be a real bitch for you to get it to work. You have tried both VGA and HDMI connections, correct?

I would try hooking up the monitor via VGA and hitting FN + F5 or FN + F7 after you boot the machine from a dead start. let me know if that helps any.

nycjb

Yea dude I tried VGA and HDMI, separate and together. I tried fn+f4 (f4 is the external toggle) and f6 which shows a lock, f7 and f8 are brightness. Tried them all right after powering on before OS loads and also after...atleast i think the OS is loading...im not getting any audio either. It was working fine before the screen finally gave out, and I thought about it being the graphics card but the screen had frayed and broken wires when I took it off, so Im not sure. It could possibly work if I got a new video connector but I cant find a replacement, I would have to buy a parts machine and it could still not work so im not sure its worth the hassle. I hooked up my other broken laptop which is also screenless (LOL) and it worked fine after Fn, too bad its ancient and I dont remember the login password .:wave:

Thankfully my friend is going to donate his tower :comfort:

Thanks for your help soulfly I really appreciate it! :tiphat:

soulfly22583

Trust me.. I'm A Professional..
Veteran
your welcome! Without seeing the machine id bet one of the boards died. Keep an eye on craigslist for equipment, you can find some good deals or even free stuff. good luck man! sorry the laptop died on ya

STFU

Quick question about 2nd monitors. If i have 2 monitors next to each other will my mouse go from one screen to the next? I always see traders with multiple screens and with 20" screens being so cheap these days.. I though about picking one up.

Newd

Quick question about 2nd monitors. If i have 2 monitors next to each other will my mouse go from one screen to the next? I always see traders with multiple screens and with 20" screens being so cheap these days.. I though about picking one up.

Yes it will. You just set it up in the display properties window.

I use dual monitors at work and couldn't imagine being without them now.

Newd

Latest posts

Latest posts