What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Exploration of the Big O...Bodhi's Ae77 Cali O X's

billycw

Veteran
window- thanks again, not many got a chance to run those out back in the day, appreciate the observations. Sakhi stood out to me in reading as well, a couple mentions about him in a couple different writings I believe. To bad we can't hear some of his stories :)

From "The Bandit of Kabul" Chapter 20

picture.php

picture.php

billycw

Veteran
Blood Orange #1
5-6 days 12/12, much darker less jagged leaves then #2. No citrus on rub but a nice sweet skunk type action.

picture.php

picture.php

Bodhi's space cakes in the background.

billycw

Veteran
A little more digging around...

Subcools/mzjill 's "orange velvet" aka "Melvin". First off I'm not a fan when a clone gets renamed, a cross sure but renaming a clone for bubbles just confusing. Anyways here is the story straight from the source in a HT article dated March 12, 2010, link below

Ht article- http://hightimes.com/read/orange-wave

picture from HT article
22_031210mzjill_02.jpg

To my eye Melvin looks to be a little more in the crown type bud formation of the afghan's. Hard to tell as that's the first photo I've found of their original clone. Seems to be a little more smoothness to the serrations and no doubles that I see. And the obvious darker leaves(even with the explanation of temp drop).

The following is just my opinion from researching and looking through examples, in no way am I trying to offend. Melvin to my eye looks closer to the "sweet tangerine" of Oregon, I could be way off. Icmag's Rainman has a thread on sweet tangerine here for comparison
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=118649

Last edited:

window

Veteran
Great pic of 'Sakhi' billy, thanks.
Apparently, Sakhi worked in a hotel in Kabul and became quite famous for his ability to get his hands on the finest hashish in Afghanistan for western travellers.
I think I read somewhere that he was shot dead after an argument with a tribal elder or something along those line's?
Maybe that's why in the Trans-high market quotations in 'High Times magazine' of 76, it read 'Sakhi Kabul unavailable'.:dunno:

Totally agree with you on the 'Melvin', being more affie looking in appearance.
My Cali-O had long, thin, lime green buds with bright orange pistils when dry.
They had a healthy stretch when flowered and a fair distance between nodes as they elongated.
Huge leaves, though not fat, sort of between broad and narrow leaf, like your BO#2 with resin covering the fan leaves.
I'm hoping you get a real orange stinker billy, that will encourage me to start my C+, though I got way too much on the go at the moment, I will get to them eventually.

billycw

Veteran
There is a article written by Jerry B in "Greenkind Magazine, Vol 3, No 1" named "The Warlord's Son" that is worth a read, although again no mention of Cali O. The article includes Sakhi and Montreal Micheal with some pictures. I believe Micheal is still with us so I will not repost his picture but here is another of Sakhi from the article.

Greenkind Magazine, vol 3 no 1- read here starting on page 6
http://docslide.us/documents/greenkind-magazine-vol-3-no-1.html

picture.php

I'm also having trouble with dates and claims matching up from the book "the King of Nepal" so for now I will not use it for reference on facts pertaining to Cali O. Example is first breeding by Jerry B of Cali O. I don't think it could be '73 as Jerry was just leaving Afghanistan then. I would guess his first season in 73 or 74 in norcal wouldn't have had the worked Cali O yet. Sure it could have roots in Jerry's house in Afghanistan when he was working Mexican Sativa's but he himself does not mention this.

The date of 1978 I believe is first reference to Cali O and fits the timeline better. This comes from Jerry's "Orange Spice" T-shirt sold with his crop, although "the King of Nepal" has this shirt at '73, I believe the "78" on the necklace of the girl in the picture puts this shirt in 1978.

picture.php

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
idk how i missed this,i was trying to source cali o over the winter to avail. Looking good up in here!

billycw

Veteran
BuhBeeLawnFall - Thanks hope you enjoy.

Tonygreen- Thanks man, curious were you able to find any citrus cuts at all?

I was unable to find any examples of the f2 release in the 85 SS/CC catalog. The earliest example I find of a uncrossed cali o line is in Nevils "The Seed Bank 1987 Revised Catalog". This only brings up more questions for me.

First, what generation is this 87 worked to? If F2 in 85 then could at least be up to 4th gen.

I notice the heavy thai look maybe giving credit to the genetic breakdown of "Thai x [Afghani x Acapulco Gold]"

In the description its claimed to be "Another Harvest festival winner", I'm guessing this is referencing a norcal get together? Anybody have any evidence of this, there has to be something if only memories?

I also found this statement by Nevil on another site "Cali Orange and Indisat were unstable hybrids and were dropped." Which lead me to another set of questions.

Was Sam handed a stable f1 hybrid seed pack of cali o or was it a earlier more sativa version? Or did Sam breed to sativa side in the 85 f2 run? Maybe even breed to the thai side till 87 release? Maybe Sam can tell us about what he knows pre/post? :)

The Seed Bank 1987 Revised Catalog
picture.php

picture.php

One last thought to think about...

If thai was the mother of Cali O and given Jerry at least knew some Boel in Afghanistan, could the Green Pheno of "highland blue thai" that supposedly was brought in in '76 for 15 months by Boel be momma? 2 years before the shirt? I guess only Jerry knows, Come on Jerry B, tell some stories for us :)

billycw

Veteran
Update on Satsuma's and Cali o x A11G-

All coming along nicely with similar growth. The Satsuma's are a bit darker in leaf color while the A11G X's have a nice lime green color. I'm seeing some double serrations on both crosses although seem to be more prevalent in the A11g side. Early rub smells are fantastic on both sides. A couple Satsuma's have a dead on Sunkist Orange with peel smell(exactly what I was after), smells range from citrus to skunk overall. The A11G X's are a bit sweeter, a couple have a dead on tangerine smell. Smells range from tangerine to sweet skunk overall.

Group shot(a row or two of csi- mendo purp urkle to the left)
picture.php

Satsuma's
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Side shot for growth
picture.php

Chimera's C-Plus is a cross with the Aeric77 Cali O; I have been growing them for a few years and about half of them have some double leaf serrations.
The odd one has a real orange smell to it.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Look really nice man. I had someone supposed to hook up an agent orange outcross but never came through. Also had a hook up for some old cali o beans but never came through. Mainly wanted a for sure citrus plant for breeding blocks for a project I want to start. Was hoping for real orange though not sour influence, thats when I heard about the cali o for the first time.

Just found this thread. Love it! Going to read the rest, but had to say caliph is hands down my favorite ever. Excited to try to find some of these beans. Are they currently available anywhere to your knowledge?!?

geo1

nice man really interesting thread. I just finished dutch passion orange first grow and its top draw! it kinda has a clementine skunk smell and ive had it in the jar a couple of weeks. I smoked orange skunk back in the 90's, my dad got it in london. People used to say orange bud to any old skunk with a few orange hairs but you know when you have the real deal. Anyway i had looked at Satsuma and C plus so im very interested to see the results, cheers

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Hey Billycw: A couple small Satsuma males for you. I got 2 females outside and 2 males so I am going to do a little pollen chucking and see if I like the F1 generation. The goals are orange flavor, early flowering and potency. One male has more Sativa leaves, more stink, better structure, and a couple days earlier so I am going to use the pollen on a branch of the early female.

picture.php

billycw

Veteran
BOMBAYCAT- Looking good man, thanks for sharing. What kind of early smells are you getting from them? Love the cat btw

Shcrews- Not too sure to be honest, will be in a 3-5 week time span I'm guessing. Might have to push them through to make room in veg and start selection.

Featherfoot- always heard the BB dominated the C-plus with the odd orange like you said. Would love to see a pic or two if you got it :) If my wild guess is correct about the highland blue thai I believe its from the same time frame and gene pool as dj used in his blueberry. Both strains have the antidepressant happy qualities. Would love for Chimera to bring the Cali O cut back out, maybe hitting his sweet pink grapefruit (clear my throat twice)

BakedBandit- Thanks man, have to admit I was excited seeing just your name before your comment thinking Jerry B came out to answer some history :) (the bandit part) The last list I saw from the Vault had Satsuma on it so I would check there first. The Blood Orange is all gone for good and the A11g crosses are in testing right now so might get the thumbs up with good results.

Tonygreen- Cali o does seem to fit your bill:) Bodhi has always put out great building block strains for me. Any orange quest has my attention :)

geo1- Thanks. I remember the old dutch passion picture they had as advert of Orange bud circa 97ish, had long almost photoshopped orange hairs lol always thought they just used a line off the 85 dutch release, they say its off a pure Skunk #1 pheno. Wonder if they mean from the flying dutchmans Royal orange line? Swamp brothers I believe say the same thing about their held "Orange Blossom Trail" line being a SK#1 pheno. Here is a clip from a interview from "Dutch Passion Team" in a mag

"Dutch Passion. In the early days of the Dutch cannabis seed breeding programs there were 4 main cannabis varieties which were to become the foundation of many of todays varieties. There were Haze, Blueberry, Northern Lights and Skunk. All of these were stable, true breeding varieties and, as one of the original Dutch seed companies, we were lucky enough to have special genetics lines of them all. The Skunk selections were of great interest to Dutch Passion in those days, offering top class yields of frosty and highly potent cannabis with those unique aromas and taste. Our contacts and connections allowed us access to some remarkable Skunk cultivars and one particular Skunk selection was exceptional. The Skunk had an unusual scent of oranges, if you rubbed the buds on your fingers you could still smell the orange zest 10 minutes later. The buds were often draped in rich golden orange hairs and the yields were much higher than most of the other Skunk selections. It was a one-in-a-million variety which the whole team adored with a wonderfully smooth and powerful anti anxiety high. This Orange Skunk was worked on extensively for a few years to stabilise and was released in the 1980’s. We gave her the name ‘Orange Bud’ and knew this was unlike anything else in our seed collection."

billycw

Veteran
Blood Orange update-

BO#2 was put into flower 2 days ago, strikingly different pheno's for sure. BO#1 much darker, no doubles, smells skunk type. BO#2 light lime green, all doubled, sweet citrus type smell. Its like the siblings that make you wonder about the wife :)

Blood Orange #1
picture.php

picture.php

Blood Orange #2
picture.php

picture.php

billycw

Veteran
I grappled with writing this, what right do I have to write about someone I will never meet from a generation before me? Well, I can only say I love history and I love cannabis. We all want to think we invented the wheel but someone spun it first. Our communities history is a patchwork of stories that have survived through troubled times. Shrouded in secrecy due to the unfortunate legal status for most of the modern age. Those survivors stories tell tales of not only themselves but the pioneers that walked with or before them. History made in closed rooms, in fields far away from civilization, crazy historic time and places that were witnessed by few survived by fewer.

Well another interesting character mentioned from the book "the Bandit of Kabul" deserves respect in my eyes. While his name is out there I will only use his nick name.

A Ode to Batman

Many people walk past history everyday not skipping a step at once was. Walking down a historic street like Fillmore in San Francisco I'm guessing the Starbucks at 2222 Fillmore seldom gets a second glance.
picture.php

Once home to Batman Gallery circa 1960, this was Billy Batman's gallery and hangout with the beatnik's, poet's, artist's and outcasts of the time.

Given the name Billy Batman in San Francisco, Batman grew up without need of money coming from a wealthy family. Given Batman gallery by his family to "stay out of trouble". Batman was a significant artist himself playing with early xerox or copy art.

Piece by Billy Batman from "Rose Birth"
picture.php

Later Batman found himself with the Diggers in San Fran. He even had the birth of his child documented in classic form in the Realist Issue No. 81 - August 1968 { Page 10 } link if you would like to read here http://www.diggers.org/digpaps68/birthdig.html

But what brings him to our attention was his love of hash. I will let Jerry Beisler tell of his meeting.

picture.php

With so many stories about smugglers that needed money here you have someone that loved hash. Well enough to risk his privileged life, travel to the ends of the earth to live a rustic dangerous life to not only participate but to improve something that was obviously dear to him.

Billy Batman never made it home from the adventure of the hippy trail. His undueing captured in Ira Cohen's poem from "The Moroccan Journal - 1987"

"And Billy Batman, who made the best hash in the world,
he dropped a loaded pistol in Kabul, shot himself in the balls,
took some heroin and lay down to die."

Billy Batman's Gravestone in Kabul, Afghanistan
picture.php

When your walking past the overlooked Starbucks down that historic street, stop for a moment and pay tribute to a hash pioneer.

I'd like to think love over greed is what pushes our dedication to this plant, Billy Batman's story reminds me of this belief.

Last edited:

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Hey billycw: You asked about the smell of that Satsuma male? Anyway I get a rank weedy smell sort of like when you peel an orange and that white skin stuff is still left on the orange after you get the peel itself off. That plant is Indica in growth pattern, but with Sativa leaves and is very stocky and branching everywhere. The females out in the garden are doing nothing as it has rained here near Denver for two weeks which is unusual. I am impatient for them to get sun and see if they have hybrid vigor.

Latest posts

Latest posts