What's new

Experiences with MBFerts stretch stopper (Chlormequat Chloride?)

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day BB

Old mate Glow has let on a few tips already .
Low P during pre flower , mixed spectrum lighting and cooler night temps .

My tech .
Top and super crop into a bush before flowering . Understanding Apical Dominance and Super cropping , up until flower set can work wonders .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

dissolute

Don't really understand what you're saying here linking me to my post about MBFerts. Canna Boost is supplied by Canna - if you're buying anything off MB Ferts re nutrients or additives... yeah I'd junk it.
oh, i was saying that I had just read that post by you. yeah the bottle was from MB ferts, so, ugg. ah well.

whatthe215

Veteran
just to add a couple things that i know safely help reduce stretch...

having pots almost fully rooted before flipping helps, if you transplant near flip day they stretch more.

aptus fasilator double dose 1.2ml/gal does work but it's expensive... very expensive.

so i've been told, and want to test... AEA seastim + cobalt sulfate.

I have chitosan oligosaccharide 90% at what ppm is recommended and at what frequency.

I agree with whatthe215 that fascilitor works well at reducing stretch

whatthe215

Veteran
i use chitosan oligo at 0.25-0.5g/gal twice per week. not sure about ppm, you can contact one of the manufacturers and they can likely recommend specific ppm. i need to contact them and see if there is a better way of dissolving it in water, like maybe ethanol or something.

not all chitosan oligo is created equal, i've tested 3 brands and only 1 dissolves good enough for me and leaves almost no residue on res + pumps.

is chitosan oligo supposed to help with stretch? i didn't notice that on the 1 flower room i've used it on so far.

glow

oh, i was saying that I had just read that post by you. yeah the bottle was from MB ferts, so, ugg. ah well.

Ugh, well, now I'm really confused. You said you ran Canna Boost and now you're saying it was from MB Ferts. That isn't Canna Boost! The guy at MB Ferts is an idiot mate and if he is trying to flog his garbage as Canna Boost or an equivalent than you definitely have probably purchased a product that looks nothing like Canna Boost. I should know - I supplied the cretin with some formulas - one of which (the one I expect you have used) has been butchered to the point where two of its ingredients have been rendered inert. Bin it and ask for your money back.

glow

i use chitosan oligo at 0.25-0.5g/gal twice per week. not sure about ppm, you can contact one of the manufacturers and they can likely recommend specific ppm. i need to contact them and see if there is a better way of dissolving it in water, like maybe ethanol or something.

not all chitosan oligo is created equal, i've tested 3 brands and only 1 dissolves good enough for me and leaves almost no residue on res + pumps.

is chitosan oligo supposed to help with stretch? i didn't notice that on the 1 flower room i've used it on so far.

Chitosan definitely wouldn't help with stretch.

BubbaBear

Im interested in adding chitosan to my regimen, can you recommend a source of soluble chitosan ?

Did you notice a difference in your flowers when using chitosan? Was there a gain in quality or yield ?

Are you foliar feeding also or just putting it in your res?

whatthe215

Veteran
no i didn't notice a difference from the chitosan other than a lack of duds. no negative affects.

just putting it in the res.

jjenkins

Hey all, I'm about to try this stuff out since I hate phosphoload and how it can affect quality, let alone the potential dangers etc.

You foliar it the first week of bloom when you want stretch to stop. It's used on wheat crops in the US.

I'd very much appreciate any experience anyone has with it. Specifically:

What day 12/12 did you use it?
How quickly did it stop/slow down stretch?
How much stretch did you see after using it?
Did it cause any issues at all?

I'd prefer if we left arguments about weather or not this product is safe for human consumption, out of this thread (unless you nearly died after smoking bud grown from plants treated with chlormequat chloride.) Thank you!

A much safer way to control stretching --- the morning dip: http://www.ggspro.com/new/pdfs/upda...retch Through the Morning Temperature Dip.pdf

glow

That's the one - works well. Good post. They have been using this practice to produce compact flowering plants in agriculture for years. I've actually found recently through some research that what's even more effective is running a cool day temperature of 18C (64.4F) and warm night temp of 23-25C (73.4 - 77F) during stretch works a treat (genetics though may determine actual optimum temps for each strain) --- here's some research that explains how things occur re GA1 antagonism and DIF etc http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1183420/ (plenty more papers on this available with a search)

glow

Good info on reducing stem elongation

Good info on reducing stem elongation

http://extension.umass.edu/floriculture/fact-sheets/controlling-plant-height-without-chemicals

Actually this one calls for a thread of its own. I think also the thing that needs to be asserted about 'negative DIF' is that different species respond differently and I have also found this true of phenotypes - basically though it is possible to reduce stretch in cannabis by 25-30% using negative DIF.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I've tried various methods of controlling stretch without as going as far as PGR's, and the easiest and most fool-proof method is to simply provide lots of blue light to the plants, and dont over-crowd them.

Cannabis has a natural stretch period during early flowering that we can always count on, but we can mitigate it and control stretch throughout every other phase of the plant's life.

The key is to understanding SAS(Shade Avoidance Syndrome), and how to counter-act it naturally. SAS occurs when the plants receive too much far-red light and it triggers internodal elongation in an attempt to outstretch its neighbors. Even if there are no neighboring plants.

How would your plants receive too much far-red light? The first culprit is of course HPS lighting. HPS emit high levels of far-red light which clearly lead to stretch as we all know. item

The second one is caused by over-crowding. We all have done it and probably still do. When you create a thick upper canopy among your plants you are increasing the amount of far-red light that is reaching the lower canopy. Most other colors of the spectrum are absorbed as they pass through the upper leaves, while passing much of the far-red through. This alters the FR:Blue ratio heavily in favor of FR leading to the trigger.

Once the ratio is tipped too far in favor of FR expect stretch. We can tip it in our favor by using MH,CMH, Gavita LEP Plasma, for greater control. If you use T5, use a 50/50 mix of 6500k, 2700k bulbs. And of course dont over-crowd your plants even if you are using lots of Blue. You're just shooting yourself in your foot otherwise.

Ive seen Haze hybrids go from 6 inches of stretch to 1/2" by ditching HPS and giving them the space they need to to avoid SAS.

Goldilocks

Don't go with mbferts.com, I ordered 5 products from them and only 4 came in. I emailed them about there mistake of not sending me what I paid for and they spat in my face. There an untrustworthy nutrients dealer. The Stretch Stopper I ordered and paid for never came in the mail, a value of $30. They refused to correct there mistake and called me liar. I'll stick with bulk of it means I don't have to deal with there I professionalism and it was all over a $30 Stretch Stopper, what business does that. It would have been so easy for them to own there mistake. They stole my money.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
ha ha ha ha no need..experience ...yeehaw..man I ruined a huge crop with bushmaster once...just say no and learn what your growing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Don't go with mbferts.com, I ordered 5 products from them and only 4 came in. I emailed them about there mistake of not sending me what I paid for and they spat in my face. There an untrustworthy nutrients dealer. The Stretch Stopper I ordered and paid for never came in the mail, a value of $30. They refused to correct there mistake and called me liar. I'll stick with bulk of it means I don't have to deal with there I professionalism and it was all over a $30 Stretch Stopper, what business does that. It would have been so easy for them to own there mistake. They stole my money.
Lucky you! Seriously, you're a lucky guy now that you can't use that toxic crap on your grow! It would have been better if you hadn't ordered his Stretch Stopper in the first place but spending $30 on a clean product so to speak isn't that bad :D .

bamboogardner

Definitely beware of MBFerts. Paid for several products via PayPal. The donkey sent me a shipping notification, which was fake, and the USPS said they never received the packages for shipping. I sent an email to them with no response. Then called and advised I was going to contact PayPal to get the charges reversed. After making the call, a few days later I received an email from them stating that the USPS lost the package. Okay. Then they said they would ship out a replacement that same day. Well it has been weeks now, and I guess the USPS lost the second package too.

Well I contacted PayPal and am having the charges reversed. Beware of this company. I have read other negative things about them. So based upon information collected by reading about them, if you don't have anything good to say about a person, don't say anything at all.

CAVEAT EMPTOR (Latin for "Let The Buyer Beware")

You have been warned!!!!!