What's new

Ex landlords advice

BonsaiBud

The place I currently live in is great. There are about 400 rental units, one management office, ONE repair/maintenance man, and a 2 person team that is renovating the old/empty units for future rentals. They only care about 1 thing: getting the rent check on time. Pest control is on a "per request" basis. They have not entered my place in the 10 months I've been living here. I have a bunch of south facing windows and over a dozen house plants.

Now, the place I am moving to will be a bit more tricky. I just got nice can filter and will put my fan on a digital dimmer before I move my grow-box out to my new place. I plan to transport my plants inside a sealed, but empty, 15.5 gallon beer keg. I will even heat it up a little first so that once I put the sanclip back in, there will be negative pressure.

The new place....well, again: pay rent on time, lock and/re-key bedroom lock, stay quiet and don't give your neighbors reason to hate you. It is an upper floor, the windows open, and I will be getting a vape (no-smoking building, thank goodness). Did I mention that my grow box locks, and I have lots of house plants? Yeah, I grow tomatoes, planted them just a couple days ago.

BlindDate

Veteran
I was once preparing to grow in an apartment that I rented. The first thing that I did was to call the manager to fix a minor problem. I really didn't need any help but I wanted him and his maintenance man in the unit. I set up a time when I would be at work and told him to let himself in.

A day after the maintenance was completed I called and complained about a missing camera. I went on and on getting more and more angry as we talked. I confronted him about it for several days but did not directly accuse him. The implication was clear and I talked about calling the police at one point.

After that experience he was scared shitless to ever entered my apartment again without me being there. It may have been cruel and unethical, but with that worry out of the way, the grow went as planned.

Last edited:
G

A installer for a satellite TV company stole narcotic pain meds from my home.

G

I have learned through the years to keep valuables put away. It's a shame we can't proudly display all our valuables.

I now keep a narcotics bottle with potent laxative tablets inside. I check it
occasionally and am elated when someone helps themselves to my property.

DurbanStone

My landlord pays for my electricity, with a 600 watt bulb and a 6'' blower, how much do you think it will cost a month? I think the Kwh is 5cents, so that's like 25$ a month...

Y

yamaha_1fan

DurbanStone said:
My landlord pays for my electricity, with a 600 watt bulb and a 6'' blower, how much do you think it will cost a month? I think the Kwh is 5cents, so that's like 25$ a month...

at 5 cents, its $10.80 to run the light for 30 days at 12/12

DurbanStone

It's actually $18... 0.5x12=0.6x30days=$18...
anyways my question is will this be suspicious? How much do ovens use? Tv's? Computers?(laptops?)

G

If you gonna be growing in a apartment.. learn to conserve power.. change all your lights bulbs from incandescent to cfl.. don't leave ya lights,TV,heater on whatever... its the price ya gotta pay if the landlord is footing the power bill..
If hes not go wild.. the power company only wants your money..

I run 1000w in my apartment,50-75bucks a month depending on light schedule. Know that the more power you use the higher your price per watt will be.. Its like tax bracts pretty much.. get paid enough and you pay higher taxes..

I've invited numerous people in.. but haven't let them in my "empty" room.. People for the most part think the same we do.. when we enter someones place.. we don't go in doors that are closed because theres nothing in there for us..and there closed(probably for a reason).. If your guiding someone somewhere before they even think about going there they will want to go there because you just made them curious...

I live around a bad area so heres some rulez everyone can live by

Rule #1 Put a lock on your grow door.. trust me plz.

Rule #2 Don't piss ya neighbors off.. don't act over friendly with them either (don't trust them)or they'll be in ya spot stealing from you..

Rule #3 Do not let your neighbors know you smoke.. even if they smoke ganja.. they'll wanna hang out or bug you for some weefer at some point in time..

Rule #4 Before moving in your spot observe when people are coming and going.. so you can move your stuff in when there not being around and being nosy..(never let them see ya move in your pricey stuff)

Rule #5 No bad smells.. not even the shitter.. get some odor control cause somebody with nothing better to do WILL complain.

Rule #6 No noise.. don't do it :) Not even if the jackass above you is doing backflips with concrete shoes. Control yourself.

Rule #7 If your apartment is on the bottom floor make sure all windows can not be broken into easy... first floor apartments are number 1 targets of burglers.

Rule #8 Make sure no one knows where ya stay unless there friends&family

Rule #9 Don't be a stoner and leave your door unlocked,or forget your keys inside when you lock the door

Rule #10 Plan for everything... (I.E. you get hurt and have to goto the hospitall;whos gonna go water the babies)

*rule 9-10 basically mean give a trusted buddy a key~ Landlords charge for replacements.. and if you keep forgetting there gonna be assbags about it..

think ahead and overgrow :)

Last edited:
G

Landlords or whoever must give you a 24hour notice before coming in your apartment.. don't stand for that BS. Go over that stuff with them before you move in.. Nosy old ladies can shove it.. install cameras and catch em on tape .

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
when i finally get into a place of my own again...ill be telling the landlord all about the sophisticated wirefree nannycam system with audio and text alerts i've got that covers every single room ...

Last edited:
G

Remember that smoke detector beeping, or the smoke they smell,
Water running...these are the excuses they give to invade your privacy
..The nanny cam is a good idea.

I have seen the bullshit done.."I smell smoke better take this master key and have a look" bullshit!

Is it illegal to place bear traps inside your apartment?

"I think I saw a bear ! your honor I am terrible scared of bears" How was I to know the landlord would be in my apartment?

If the landlords can imagine smoke or water running why can't you imagine bears?

G

octodiem said:
I will be selling bear traps on E_bay.

First I was thinking the nanny cam was a good idea.. but I think a bear trap would be in order :)

The Nanny cam thing is a good idea thou).. I hope it makes them stay the flip out.. I think i'll use that one in the future..

You can get those Remote motion sensors.. that when set off call your cell phone.. there $250 but something to think about..

funkman

I use to have a grow in VT that got ended because the property management comapany and the owner went into the house and picked the lock into my roommates bedroom where we had the grow going in the bathtub. The owner was a retired cop and they still couldnt do anything because they went in illegally. He checked us for warrants but we were both clean so there was nothing he could do.

D0nC0smic

I just make sure that the grow is in a room that is not needed to access the utilities or anything else like air conditioning or anything like that and then just chnage the locks to get into that one room.

Youareborg

funkman said:
I use to have a grow in VT that got ended because the property management comapany and the owner went into the house and picked the lock into my roommates bedroom where we had the grow going in the bathtub. The owner was a retired cop and they still couldnt do anything because they went in illegally. He checked us for warrants but we were both clean so there was nothing he could do.

wtf? More info please, if you don't mind... Like, how long had you been living there. Why did they want to get in? and why so badly into that room that they picked the lock instead of just informing you?
That sucks man, sorry to hear it happened, but glad you're still free.

Apartment grows are high risk. My first grow was in an apartment and I would never do it again. Nosey workers can come in anytime they want for any b.s. reason. I am so lucky to be free. When I was growing, my upstairs neighbor thaught it would be fun to fire his gun in the parking lot. Some neighbors saw him and called the cops. I was comming home from work and when I get to my apartment there are like 10 cop cars and police with dogs surrounding my building. Needless to say I was freaked out. I didn't know what happened and I thaught I was busted. Luckily it was my crazy neighbor but I was so paranoid with police dogs walking by my window that I moved out the next day.
Neighbors are a pain in the ass. If you grow in an apartment how are you going to explain carrying in bulky reflecters, carbon filters, soil, hydro tables, Co2 tanks...ect.... I got away with it, I don't know how but I did. I would never ever do it again in an apartment. Best bet is to rent or buy a house with an attached garage. Always pay your rent on time, be nice to the landlord, and try to have as little contact with him/her as possible. Fix things on your own and take care of the yard. This will make you seem like the perfect tennant and the landlord would not want to lose you. Landlords want money and a tennant who takes care of the property. If you can give this to the landlord, you can grow in peace.