+ Solid unit
+ I wouldn't be using it continuous so it might not be my
best option

HANNA Gro'Check
31lkpxCCD4L._SL500_AA273_.jpg

+ HANNA makes A+ gear

*** WHAT DO YOU USE AND ARE HAPPY WITH ***

Thanks IC

LOL, this thread it about to get bombarded with angry organic growers. HAHAHA! Organic growers don't need pH or TDS meters and they're good too...

Anyway, I'm no longer an organic grower, I grow in coco and use FloraNova nutes (and a few other things). I use a Hanna handheld waterproof meter. I also use a cheap TDS meter I got on eBay a few years back, works great.

--
TB4U

KUSHT4TUS

Haha I know controversy is about to ensue but that's why I posted in INDOOR HYDRO.

Im hoping to target the DWC guys that are always checking ppms/ph/water temp

Im also trying to get some real advice from people who own the units because when
you are spending that kind of money, you want the good gear !

Burning Sky

HANNA Gro'Check has giving some people I know problems in the past with calibration and consistent readings on the same solution tested. Yes it was taken care of and probe is new just faulty equipment. Now I am not knocking Hanna I have the Combo tool. 5 years old still works like a charm. Only on 2nd probe because I clean and soak tester after each use and take very good care of this imporatnat tool. I rec. the hanna combo

Think Green

I agree about the ppm tester, but as far as pH, my test indicator solution never gives a wrong reading. The batteries still havent gone dead! :joint:

H

HappyDog

Hanna... Word of caution, set the calibration dials and pull them out. I bumped a dial by accident and nearly effed up three months of work..lockout, flush, recalibrate.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
After flushing over $300 down the drain in the great fan debacle of 08. I did extensive research on pens and meters here and at other sites. I learned that PPM is a lie and that pens are a crapshoot at best. Milwaukee sucked the least followed by Oakton with Hanna scraping up the rear. The uncontested leader for EC was the EC Bluelab Truncheon.

I went with Bluelab and a $5 pH kit from the aquarium store.

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
I like the Milwaukee SM802, have 2 of them and they have always been very reliable. Similar to the Hanna 3 in 1 someone pictured. They measure PH/EC/PPM and have a 3' cabl so you don't have to be right ontop of the pen to get a reading.

As someone else mentioned, I remove the calibration dials and store them somewhere safe between calibration.

Kermit11

like imnotcrazy, I also use the SM802, going on 3 years and only 1 probe replacement so far.
runs good and the plants like it.

KUSHT4TUS

After flushing over $300 down the drain in the great fan debacle of 08. I did extensive research on pens and meters here and at other sites. I learned that PPM is a lie and that pens are a crapshoot at best. Milwaukee sucked the least followed by Oakton with Hanna scraping up the rear. The uncontested leader for EC was the EC Bluelab Truncheon.

I went with Bluelab and a $5 pH kit from the aquarium store.

Thanks for posting Freezer - I don't see how HANNA did the worst..
They are the most highly reviewed (by the forums) and more importantly, scientists. From my research HANNA Instruments is a solid brand among science-based consumers..

Might go with the truncheon for now since its half the price and seems reliable.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
What is your weapon of choice and why.
Im in the market for something ~$200 for both TDS/pH

I have separate buckets so I need something to probe
each with accurately.

Here are a couple Ive been looking at :

Bluelab Truncheon
Truncheon_SP.jpg

+ 5 year warentee
+ Always calibrated
+ RELIABLE

Nutridip
41IoB9NAy8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

+ Solid unit
+ I wouldn't be using it continuous so it might not be my
best option

HANNA Gro'Check
31lkpxCCD4L._SL500_AA273_.jpg

+ HANNA makes A+ gear

*** WHAT DO YOU USE AND ARE HAPPY WITH ***

Thanks IC

I have the bottom two, and another 3 in one Hanna unit.

Nutradip meters used to be ok, now they are utter crap. My local shop won't even sell them anymore, 100% failure rate.

The handheld Hanna worked ok for a year, after a while the cord for the probe will start to break and the replacement probe is $140, better to just get a new one.

I've heard great things about the BLuelab truncheons, though I'm pretty happy with my constant-read Hanna 3 in 1 meter now. They do need cleaning and calibrating rather frequently though.

H

HappyDog

When I got my last Hanna the design on the cord had changed. I agree with Lazyman that the old design was a little too delicate for constant use.

Moldy Dreads

Veteran
Thanks for posting Freezer - I don't see how HANNA did the worst..
They are the most highly reviewed (by the forums) and more importantly, scientists. From my research HANNA Instruments is a solid brand among science-based consumers..
I agree, Hanna pen is my favorite toy of all times!!