What's new

ever think about climbing Mt. Everest????

H

h^2 O

I really want to do it, but in my research I've found -

you need a permit from Nepal, costs around $25,000USD

you need to acclimate your body at base camp for SEVERAL weeks before ascending

there's ice fall thing which is like all jagged ass pieces of ice and snow filled with giant crevices and all kinds of other dangers

Above a certain altitude it's referred to as the "dead zone" where many bodies can be seen from the trail. The conditions are unearthly above that point, like 100mph winds with -50 temperature and no oxygen

Once you get to the top you only stay there a half hour

JHerbz

Ive told myself i would want to one day but i just don't see it happening, i guess ill just keep up with Skydiving/Wingsuit dream.

I would rather fly around for 1-2 mins off a mountain through a valley with everything wizzing by at like 80+ MPH, then having to walk up a big ass hill. haha.

HUGE

Veteran
I would much Rather smash my genitals into a pile of pudding with a hammer.

L

LouDog420

Pudding, the hungry mans lubrication :tiphat:

You can sure buy a lot of pudding with 25,000....

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I really want to do it, but in my research I've found -

you need a permit from Nepal, costs around $25,000USD

you need to acclimate your body at base camp for SEVERAL weeks before ascending

there's ice fall thing which is like all jagged ass pieces of ice and snow filled with giant crevices and all kinds of other dangers

Above a certain altitude it's referred to as the "dead zone" where many bodies can be seen from the trail. The conditions are unearthly above that point, like 100mph winds with -50 temperature and no oxygen

Once you get to the top you only stay there a half hour

well,lets see here...

you can also climb from the tibet side,still pricey for the permit,a guided trip is more like 60,000...

you need to acclimate your body for several years by climbing dozens of lesser peaks to gain the skills you need...

thats the khumbu icefall,and the sherpas generally create a new trail with ladders and ropes every year,still a treacherous spot,but somewhat tamed...

thats "the death zone"...defined as above 8000m ...there is still the same percentage of oxygen in the air,is just under less pressure...and those same conditions can be experienced at sea level...

H

h^2 O

well,lets see here...

you can also climb from the tibet side,still pricey for the permit,a guided trip is more like 60,000...

you need to acclimate your body for several years by climbing dozens of lesser peaks to gain the skills you need...

thats the khumbu icefall,and the sherpas generally create a new trail with ladders and ropes every year,still a treacherous spot,but somewhat tamed...

thats "the death zone"...defined as above 8000m ...there is still the same percentage of oxygen in the air,is just under less pressure...and those same conditions can be experienced at sea level...

that's bad ass! Yeah the Khumbu Ice Fall. 60grand? Shit man, I better get growing or something.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
and climbing!...this being the modern age there is even an internet cafe and bar at the main base camp,which is still at over 17,000 feet so those double scotches really pack a punch!

Headbandf1

Bent Member
Veteran
I went as part of a support team of a group of engineers who payed for the entire expedition. Unfortunately it was 1996 and the weather was so bad we never left base camp.
I had climbed Mt St Helen as a kid and MT Whitney summer of my senior year, Mt Sinai when stationed near its base. and flew to Africa to climb Kilimanjaro but was advised against it because of the political environment at the time.

But now I can barely climb a flight of stairs.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
You were looking for ways to waste time... I couldnt think of a better way.

BTW, if it happens on earth, its not unearthly.

igrowkushbitch

When I was in high school I went to nepal for a month. I climbed all over that mountain. I only went to 18,900 feet. It was so hard to breath I remember getting the worst head aches of my life. Sometimes I wanted to smash my head with a rock to pass out. No joke. We hiked all night to get to this huge butte in the middle of this dry lake. The mountains surround this lake. We saw people summiting everest at like 5 in the morn and the sun was just coming over the mountain. It was probably one of the most beautiful sights I will ever see. Some girls that were with us were crying it was so magical. That country is amazing and the people are the hardiest people on this earth. I am a pretty big guy and I saw men the size of my mom caring kitchen ovens on their back while wearing sandals. Everything has to be hiked up into the mountains. namaste

InJoy

Do you really need to sit on top of the world that bad?

Get a oneway tickit to Kathmandu check on visas it's always changin and stay as long as possible was 4 months a year and better to get it ahead of time. It's possible to stay in Kathmandu and live well on $20 a day cheaper by half is easy if you eat local food and stay away from tourist stuff.

Hash will be anywhere from 50 cent to $20 a gram lol suckers are everywhere.

you can go into those mountains the area is called the Khumbu and you can hang out walkin one village to the next for about $5 a day meals and lodge included was half that and it could still be possible so i throw 5 bucks a day.

The last time i was there 92 i spent 32 daze above the treeline in the Khumbu region while 1000's of trekkers charged thru with their itineraries bringing the rat race of the west with em and missing the True Spirit of the place.

i tried to climb Island peak with no permit was around $1200 back then but i wasn't gonna pay that and it was off the main trail so possible as i was told by some locals.

But i had no ropes axe or crampons i rented a tent the axe and crampons and said fuck the rope it was too much to carry. i talked some english guy who was out there on his own who hired a local guide. The guide wanted nothin ta do with the summit for fear of trouble but we didn't really care. if we came to a place too difficult we would turn back content to have made it that far the summit is about 20,000 ft i had already been close to 18,000 in the previous daze and yea i smoked beautiful Squigy Nepalese the whole way round every time i rested i had a few tokes of my bowl.

When we got on the Glacier befor sunrise and strapped on the crampons the glacier was crusty and easy to walk on We traversed the glacier crossing cravasses that were death traps with no ropes and by 10am it was blazing hot i could have stripped naked serious i couldn't believe how hot it was on that glacier.

That meant the snow was melting and those snow bridges we used to cross the crevasses were getting weak.

We turned back and seriously came close to goin in once.

Brilliant Experience and it cost fuck all.

Book your dam tickit but don't book anything else do it all on your own and you will save massive amounts of money and have a way better time.

I actually worked as a mountain guide ob in that area a year after for some people who paid $105 a day for 2 weeks found my dream job.

When they saw how cheap it could be done if they didn't book ahead and pay porters n all the rest, they were pissed and it spoiled the trek. i never worked as a guide again.

Go for it...

Then go to India Thailand spend the rest of your life in SE Asia with no booze $20 a day your Lovin Life if ya wanna get pissed to well that all depends doesn't it but it's easy to save a lot if you give up booze.

I'm goin back b4 end of year for a long long while:jump:

InJoy

When I was in high school I went to nepal for a month. I climbed all over that mountain. I only went to 18,900 feet. It was so hard to breath I remember getting the worst head aches of my life. Sometimes I wanted to smash my head with a rock to pass out. No joke. We hiked all night to get to this huge butte in the middle of this dry lake. The mountains surround this lake. We saw people summiting everest at like 5 in the morn and the sun was just coming over the mountain. It was probably one of the most beautiful sights I will ever see. Some girls that were with us were crying it was so magical. That country is amazing and the people are the hardiest people on this earth. I am a pretty big guy and I saw men the size of my mom caring kitchen ovens on their back while wearing sandals. Everything has to be hiked up into the mountains. namaste

bet that was Gokyo lake awesome place did you have apple pie in that glass house up there?

if you would have spent more time arriving at that altitude you would have aclimitized but you were on a schedul.

The ones who died from altitude sickness were the really fit people who weren't phsically challanged by the climb so they go faster.

itineraries won't get you killed but they will give you headaches because it's hard to sell 2 days in those villages people are in a hurry.

i'm gonna take some photos of some of my photos see if i can post a few pics

R

rick shaw

It would involve intense focusing and active involvement,not your strong suits.

The OP should look for short term and preferably imaginary goals. Try your hand at Republican speeches or Penthouse Forum,they are always looking for abstract dreamers.

Keep us updated if you climb the south face,or have a three way with Pallin and Bachman.

H

h^2 O

Do you really need to sit on top of the world that bad?

Get a oneway tickit to Kathmandu check on visas it's always changin and stay as long as possible was 4 months a year and better to get it ahead of time. It's possible to stay in Kathmandu and live well on $20 a day cheaper by half is easy if you eat local food and stay away from tourist stuff.

Hash will be anywhere from 50 cent to $20 a gram lol suckers are everywhere.

you can go into those mountains the area is called the Khumbu and you can hang out walkin one village to the next for about $5 a day meals and lodge included was half that and it could still be possible so i throw 5 bucks a day.

The last time i was there 92 i spent 32 daze above the treeline in the Khumbu region while 1000's of trekkers charged thru with their itineraries bringing the rat race of the west with em and missing the True Spirit of the place.

i tried to climb Island peak with no permit was around $1200 back then but i wasn't gonna pay that and it was off the main trail so possible as i was told by some locals.

But i had no ropes axe or crampons i rented a tent the axe and crampons and said fuck the rope it was too much to carry. i talked some english guy who was out there on his own who hired a local guide. The guide wanted nothin ta do with the summit for fear of trouble but we didn't really care. if we came to a place too difficult we would turn back content to have made it that far the summit is about 20,000 ft i had already been close to 18,000 in the previous daze and yea i smoked beautiful Squigy Nepalese the whole way round every time i rested i had a few tokes of my bowl.

When we got on the Glacier befor sunrise and strapped on the crampons the glacier was crusty and easy to walk on We traversed the glacier crossing cravasses that were death traps with no ropes and by 10am it was blazing hot i could have stripped naked serious i couldn't believe how hot it was on that glacier.

That meant the snow was melting and those snow bridges we used to cross the crevasses were getting weak.

We turned back and seriously came close to goin in once.

Brilliant Experience and it cost fuck all.

Book your dam tickit but don't book anything else do it all on your own and you will save massive amounts of money and have a way better time.

I actually worked as a mountain guide ob in that area a year after for some people who paid $105 a day for 2 weeks found my dream job.

When they saw how cheap it could be done if they didn't book ahead and pay porters n all the rest, they were pissed and it spoiled the trek. i never worked as a guide again.

Go for it...

Then go to India Thailand spend the rest of your life in SE Asia with no booze $20 a day your Lovin Life if ya wanna get pissed to well that all depends doesn't it but it's easy to save a lot if you give up booze.

I'm goin back b4 end of year for a long long while:jump:
dude that's awesome! That's exactly the kind of experiences and lifestyle I want to be living. But I don't have money and get a deposit of 900 bucks a month. That's pretty much it for now. I guess on $20 a day I could still swing that and have $300 left over for weed and women.
The part where you were on the glacier and it was thawing reminded me of that movie Armeggedon where the asteroid or meteor starts heating up and shooting gas and ice into the air. Almost like an alien planet.
You sound like a cool dude man I'll freind you

InJoy

dude that's awesome! That's exactly the kind of experiences and lifestyle I want to be living. But I don't have money and get a deposit of 900 bucks a month. That's pretty much it for now. I guess on $20 a day I could still swing that and have $300 left over for weed and women.

You just figured out you will have 300 extra per month to live exactly the life you want...

but you can't afford it.

Lifes a bitch innit...

Latest posts

Latest posts