What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Evaluating your plots soils: Soil texture

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A month or 2 ago would have been better.... Could have got a cover crop going.... Too wet and cold to dig now.... :drum:

marto

Hey Backcountry....whats your take on soil that has a gravelly component to it....3/4" fragments that take up about 50 percent of the groundmass.....a nice loamy soil without the gravel. Would you sift out the rock?

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Pipeline- Yeah, we had a long dryspell here(down 1"+ in rainfall for the water year), but today it started raining again, looks like the snow level will be droping to envelope the mountains and higher foothills now, its kinda late for me to do any work up high right now.

marto- A alternative to sifting the gravel out might be to regard the gravel the same way as sand when looking at the soil triangle.
7710Soil_texture_triangle_JPG.JPG

If you look at the triangle again and add the gravel as the same as sand, the Loam soil consists of roughly: 20% Clay, 40% Silt, and 40% Sand, if you regard the gravel portion as Sand it puts you at 70% Sand, basicly on the line between a Loamy sand or Sandy loam soil.
I'd advise replacing at least 25% or more of the native soil with orgainic materials like Peat, to aid in moisture and nutrient retention, unless you can give plenty of water and fertiliser often.

Last edited:

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good stuff i posted this in the organics forum. real easy way to figure out the soils around you.

3BM

This is a great tip backcountry. Precisely identifying your soil type is key to properly amending it. I have a sure fire test for quickly and accurately identifying quality soil for cannabis. Carry a spade along to the patch, and if you can bury the spade up to the handle with one stab you have good soil. If not, how far in does it penetrate? Assuming you havnt hit a location specific obstacle (random root, odd rock etc) this should give a good indication of your soil quality (if not the soil type). Dark colors are better than light colors generally, and if its dark and the spade penetrates then PLANT THERE!

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
One thing I would say about that method is that if I were to go out right now(the soil is soaked from my rainy season) and try that test, I might have the shovel sink in great in many places, but if I did the same in July when the rains have stopped, the same soil would be like concrete because of the lack of water.

One thing to keep in mind too is that your test would not warn you of overly sandy soil(very soft), which can make growing just as difficult as overly hard soil.

I'm sure the shovel test works great for you since I'm sure you are very familier with your local soil types, I too can usually guess my soil type by biting a chunk out with my shovel, 9 times out of 10 it is heavy Clay, the rest of the time its a gravelly/sandy loam.

Last edited:

3BM

Good call on the moisture content, I would avoid working soil that is drenched since this can really make a bad situation worse. Have we covered this already? Feels like we have. Great thread BC

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Yeah, the wet clay keeps me from working the soils in my veg garden and in my Guerilla plots all winter long, as Pipeline has pointed out, all soils and especially clay soils can become compacted when worked too wet. And yet I have to work the soil when it has at least some moistness to it, finding that window of opportunity can be fun.

I wrote this guide originally not for folks like 3BN, Pipeline, or myslelf, not for people who have worked the soil alot in general and know it like a old freind.
Insted, this guide is for those who have done very little or no soil working, but want to know how to read the soil with no real prior experience. This guide is for the new aspiring growers...................

For the rest of us, we know, we have been there and done that...........

Kalber

Great guide backcountry, thank you!

I'm doing a big grow this year, and this will help me get my soil right. As I am doing a big grow, I'd like to use as few components in my soil as possible. So I'm wondering about fertilizing, will chicken manure alone be enough? And if so, how much chicken poo can I put in the ground without burning the roots? I will be sowing the seeds directly in the ground.

antimatter

Veteran
I would avoid sowing directly, would be better off germinating them first and then starting them in a place you can keep an eye on them for the first 1-2 weeks then putting them at your spots. Look for spots rich in organic matter/top soil, fertilizer is up to you organic or chemical but I would avoid fast release and go with the time release to keep your visits down.

neongreen

Veteran
Also add 1 tablespoon of powdered dishwashing detergent. The detergent is a surfactant, which keeps the soil particles separate, resulting in a more accurate test.

Is there an alternative to using powdered dishwashing detergent? I don't have a dishwasher!

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Get in a search engine and look for "soil wetting agents", this should bring up a host of good ideas!

neongreen

Veteran
Good idea! Thanks BACKCOUNTRY. My head is in the clouds at the moment - been a mad rush here to get everything complete before the rain arrives.

Had I not read this thread, I probably would have tried to work my plot when it was wet!

Edit - so after a little research the "penny dropped", and I realized there are a number of household products that could be used in it's place, like ordinary soap, and washing up liquid. Or you could use yucca extract if you have some, although that's probably a waste.