What's new

Ethylene priming

EastCoastGambit

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Very interesting. When Bananas ripen they give off ethylene gas but I don't know how much is there. This outdoors grow I am going to store the seeds in the plastic bag of Bananas for a while and see if it happens. Maybe I will put half the seeds with the bananas and half store as usual for a bit of a test. I wonder if it will really work?

ChemDogLover

Very interesting. When Bananas ripen they give off ethylene gas but I don't know how much is there. This outdoors grow I am going to store the seeds in the plastic bag of Bananas for a while and see if it happens. Maybe I will put half the seeds with the bananas and half store as usual for a bit of a test. I wonder if it will really work?
Please let us know how it goes. According to the article seeds were just briefly exposed to ethylene gas, but that resulted in much more
Vigorous growth.

Tomatoesonly

There's a liquid that was made called "sensa spray". I can't seem to find anyone carrying it now.
It is advertised as an ethylene gas provider for vegetable people. I've got some, but I've never really used it in any capacity.
Sounds like it's time to do some experiments.

ChemDogLover

Check this out…

materials:

fresh banana peels(the fresher dey r the more you can keep in em in the container)

air tight container(i use cannaing jars,some use ziplock bags,i reccomned the jars since theyr truly airtight

seeds( any good viable seeds,ive tested it on 30 mexican brick seeds,and it worked!!)

paper towel,napkin,or toilet paper

1.wrap seeds in a small ball of paper,leave a slight opening so they can abosrb the eythlene better

2.wrap the banana peels with the paper ,and place into the jar FIRST

3.place seeds on top of the banan method,just make sure to check for moisture on the seeds paper...they cant have any mositure...

4.close lid very tight,and leave in a dark,room temp place.....open the lid every day around the same time,to realse the stagnant air...the seeds can rot...

do this for 1-2 weeks..the long the more ethyelen they abosrb..no more than 3 weeks.....

germ,grow,and ENJOY

🔥🔥🔥

Wolverine97

Veteran
Check this out…

I'd try it during germination myself. Seems it would be more effective then.

mexweed

Veteran
This makes me wonder, one time I did the wet paper towel into a tupperware in the kitchen and I always have bananas on the counter or peels in the nearby garbage, I accidentally fell asleep when I meant to check on them and had a bunch of school work to do the next day so they ended up in there about a day and a half longer than I intended, when I got to checking them they had monster tap roots like 3-4 inches like you see on some of the seed company sites, only time I've ever had that happen

So Hai

Apples could be another option perhaps, or if you could saturate water with ethylene somehow like you would carbonating…

LndRcLvr

Ethylene gas has been used for years to quickly ripen apples and other fruit ready for market. It increases the metabolic rate of whatever it is exposed to (even seeds). it would be interesting to stick a big bag of old bananas in a grow room - Just watch out for False Widow Spiders! they originally hitched a ride to the UK in bananas and now they are widespread in the UK. My whole house is covered in them, and some of them are properly chunky ( they seem to prefer to be outdoors tho' fortunately)