What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ethiopian sativa

goingrey

I was wondering how widespread this invasive was as i typed that.
I do remember reading something about medical benefits before, never felt the need the experiment myself.
Not medical benefits but antifungal as in good resistance to mold.. Or medicinally maybe it could be used topically for athlete's foot or something? But.. "Dogfennel contains pyrrolizidine alkaloids which can cause liver failure", better not experiment too much.

Keif Cake

Veteran
Not medical benefits but antifungal as in good resistance to mold.. Or medicinally maybe it could be used topically for athlete's foot or something? But.. "Dogfennel contains pyrrolizidine alkaloids which can cause liver failure", better not experiment too much.
For dam sure better not! That's what i meant, not actually ingesting it, its been quite a while since ive read anything on it. To me, it's not a very pleasant smell, not bad either, but it is certainly rather unique

Keif Cake

Veteran
They describe it as a Fennel Like odor which is fresh and similar to anise/licorice, which is in line with strains of African origin.
I would say that fresh does apply. Im not familiar with what anise or licorice are like. The smell only recently developed to be like that, waiting a few days has certainly paid off with more fragrant terps and a considerable amount of extra resin production, I'll continue to watch it, likely take it down next week to see if it wants add even more resin, but I certainly dont want to let it go past peak ripeness

burningfire

Veteran
I wish I had waited a little longer with mine, I was in a hurry to take everything down. I have a sickly clone that will probably make and I'm tempted to put the work in and try light deprivation outdoors, I'll have to train it low to the ground so I can use my tarp.

Keif Cake

Veteran
I remember what i was reading one of the uses for it was, mosquito repellent and treating insect bites

sublingual

Urgent advice needed.
I have a too tall female Ethiopian plant. It is in stretch mode in a gallon coco bag and I don't have the height or horizontal space for her (LST). So it seems the only options are deadhead or cull. If I deadhead then it will set back the plant's progress to bud. I also have an early-flower Ethiopian and one that is medium-length finishing up now. The fast-flowering and long flowering were started at the same time. Medium, one month earlier. Is it worth it to see the longer flowering one through to the end?

Keif Cake

Veteran
Urgent advice needed.
I have a too tall female Ethiopian plant. It is in stretch mode in a gallon coco bag and I don't have the height or horizontal space for her (LST). So it seems the only options are deadhead or cull. If I deadhead then it will set back the plant's progress to bud. I also have an early-flower Ethiopian and one that is medium-length finishing up now. The fast-flowering and long flowering were started at the same time. Medium, one month earlier. Is it worth it to see the longer flowering one through to the end?
A picture would help immensely in trying to determine the best course of action.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Urgent advice needed.
You could try supercropping. That has worked well for me in the past. The worst that can happen is you accidently break a branch, but if height is an issue you'd lose it anyway if you cut it back.

sublingual

Yeah, that might work. Will transplant tomorrow into 3 gal. and lean it a bit I think. I haven't decided. Tomorrow may be a good day to do since I am drying them out a bit. The last time I was supercropping I had just watered and it snapped the top. Took a lesson to only do that when the plant is not so turgid.
I watered at .95 EC (Jack's Finish") as a rinse and now
I may use Jack's bloom booster on them for a week. Dose them at 1 EC-1.2 for a week and see what happens. I was planning to do that but since they were all started at 12/12 all the other plants set flowers so I thought to skip it.
I may have time in an hour to grab a pic since I delayed my decision to up can. The fast-flowering small Eth. has some spots on her that look like a Cal. mag deficiency though no other plants are exhibiting the problem. Same coco mix, same nutes. If any have insight let me know.

sublingual

Medium flowering length
P1070770.JPG

Keif Cake

Veteran
Id try to control it by pinching it before supercropping
Here is where i would remove and if the laterals want to get stretch very much id do it at the same place on those

Edit: if lateral space is an issue at all, id FIM the laterals now

Attachments

• iMarkup_20230518_231703.jpg
    iMarkup_20230518_231703.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 58

Shua1991

Is anyone familiar with Dog Fennel? A common weed that grows.

The smell you get when you crush it, thats the smell im getting the Ethiopian thats about to be harvested.
Older are like muted fennel/pine, the younger plants almost like citrus thyme I got these confused with rosemary when they were young. smell differs depending on age, these grow all over my neighborhood.

BillyStoker

Urgent advice needed.
Yeah definitely, personally I much preferred the longer flowering one. I’ll be culling any shorter flowering ones next run

Keif Cake

Veteran
Older are like muted fennel/pine, the younger plants almost like citrus thyme I got these confused with rosemary when they were young. smell differs depending on age, these grow all over my neighborhood.
I figured there had to be someone out there that knew what I was talking about. Whenever you pull one up out of the ground you can smell it immediately.

sublingual

Thinking of culling her. I had a male Ethiopian that was wispy as well, culled him.
You have to understand that these will not be smoked where aroma counts a lot. They are to be either dry ice sifted and pressed into rosin and decarbed (haven't figured exactly how yet) for edibles.
This plant is not practical for me.

Latest posts

Latest posts