What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Essential Oils instead of Liquid Ladybug/SNS-217 during flowering to kill mites: test

:woohoo:I've got a great opportunity to try to see how these essential oils work on spider mites late in flower!

Current situation: in an "old" room about to come down, I have a few plants late in flower infected with mites. These plants have been pretty neglected, as they barely survived an extended electricity outage/high heat humidity and I focused my attention to a newer healthier crop...But they survived, are pretty ugly, and now have spider mites! I'm gonna just use this weed for testing purposes as it's not all nasty when said and done....

picture.php

So my major concern is my newer crop, which is in a cooler, nicer room RIGHT NEXT DOOR to the affected plants. I've checked daily and cannot find any signes of spider mites on any plant in this room(yet?). I feel like I better get ready, just in case though....Some plants are at about 4 weeks 12/12 and the smaller plants are a little over 2 weeks 12/12. This is at the point where I believe it's no longer cool to spray with most of the stuff out there (exception: Mighty Wash?) but I am reading of people using SNS 217 and Liquid Ladybug late in flower, with success (and apparently no taste/side effects).

New Crop: We MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE!!!!

picture.php

picture.php

Now we get to the money...everytime you read some thread about SNS 217 or Liquid Ladybug, you get someone coming on pointing out that the 'active' ingredients are just cheap essential oils and something like dish soap to help coat the leafs....
So here's some ingredient sheets that I've found....

SNS 217 (ready to spray, non concentrate)
http://www.planetnatural.com/planetnatural/images/sns-217-mite-spray.pdf

And SNS 217-C, the concentrated stuff, 5x stronger
http://sierranaturalscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SNS-217_C-Concentrate-MSDS.pdf

Liquid Ladybug: Found two different sheets with different ingredients on it?

http://sunlightsupply.com/PartPDF/704630_MSDS.pdf

http://www.kellysolutions.com/erenewals/documentsubmit/KellyData%5COK%5Cpesticide%5CProduct%20Label%5C25%5C25-25B%5C25-25B_Liquid_Ladybug___Organic_Spider_Mite_Killer_11_29_2011_9_34_29_AM.pdf

I have no idea which liquid ladybug ingredient sheet is correct but I'm seeing essential oils in very low concentrations for all of these.....rosemary and peppermint essentail oils and more google searches also named lemograss oil as an oil that can fight spider mites.
I'm not sure if these different oils all do the same thing or something slightly different, but it seems they're effective vs spider mites are are safe late in flower.

Come to find out I have a health food store right accross the street from me...I go in and pick up this stuff for under $20. I already have some dish soap.

picture.php

So I just made a mix that was 2.0% rosemary oil (as SNS-217) plus 0.5% lemongrass oil plus 0.5% peppermint oil with a little Dawn Dish soap and sprayed the affected plants with it...leaves, buds, stems...the whole things got sprayed...also took a few affected leaves off and put in two bags, one sprayed with the solution and one not sprayed at all....

Suprisingly the lemon oil scent seemed to be the overpowering scent of this mix when spraying.

Stay tuned for pics of leaves and report on how these oils do in fighting mites, as well eventual report of if there are any noticeable side effects on the final product....

thefanfx

you can use Lavender water or Tobacco water at any stage in flowering without any consequences for the taste and your health and the plant health as well

2-3 spoons dry lavender in 200-300ml water for 24h , on next day warn it but do not boil just make the water hot , after it cool down spray really good , totally wash them , repeat it 3-4-5 times and no mites will survive

same with Tobacco water , but the lavender one is better in taste and smell :)

you can do it as well with hot paper wax water

all these ways are pure organic without any bad consequences and can be used at any moment in veg or flowering

GL m8

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Spray the oils at night and dont use tobacco if you have to because of virus transfer.. Thyme, tea tree, fresh neem oil, citronella, pelargonium all are oils that also help..

For the mites, use combo oil sprays and don't forget to keep on spraying even when they seem to be gone. Spray at night to prevent burn and spray in between with water every now and again to rinse oil build up.

And as the Fan said lavender works well, I also added that to the mixtures I used, in essential oil form. The spray mixture smelled rad, I dosed myself too :)

Last edited:

shaggyballs

Veteran
You said.....

So I just made a mix that was 2.0% rosemary oil (as SNS-217) plus 0.5% lemongrass oil plus 0.5% peppermint oil with a little Dawn Dish soap and sprayed the affected plants with it...leaves, buds, stems...the whole things got sprayed...also took a few affected leaves off and put in two bags, one sprayed with the solution and one not sprayed at all....

This looks like the formula for a concentrate.

Did this burn your leaves?

It burned mine.

Anyone have suggestions for mixing a ready to use product?

dpfour20

I mixed like 10 drops of rosemary oil, a teaspoon of unscented dr. bronners. all mixed in a 1L spray bottle. didnt burn plants, seems to work pretty well. I also use regular dr bronners, the peppermint, about a teaspoon in a 1L bottle with water, as a spray and that seems to work well, and doesnt have any ill effects either.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
I'd use 20 to 30 drops in a l maximun of base oils total. Certain oils are phototoxic to the plants at higher concentrations or in combos so best to spray in the at day break or in the evening if humidity is not a concern.

ozman

More on Liquid Lady Bug

More on Liquid Lady Bug

:woohoo:I've got a great opportunity to try to see how these essential oils work on spider mites late in flower!

Current situation: in an "old" room about to come down, I have a few plants late in flower infected with mites. These plants have been pretty neglected, as they barely survived an extended electricity outage/high heat humidity and I focused my attention to a newer healthier crop...But they survived, are pretty ugly, and now have spider mites! I'm gonna just use this weed for testing purposes as it's not all nasty when said and done....

View Image

So my major concern is my newer crop, which is in a cooler, nicer room RIGHT NEXT DOOR to the affected plants. I've checked daily and cannot find any signes of spider mites on any plant in this room(yet?). I feel like I better get ready, just in case though....Some plants are at about 4 weeks 12/12 and the smaller plants are a little over 2 weeks 12/12. This is at the point where I believe it's no longer cool to spray with most of the stuff out there (exception: Mighty Wash?) but I am reading of people using SNS 217 and Liquid Ladybug late in flower, with success (and apparently no taste/side effects).

New Crop: We MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE!!!!

View Image
View Image

Now we get to the money...everytime you read some thread about SNS 217 or Liquid Ladybug, you get someone coming on pointing out that the 'active' ingredients are just cheap essential oils and something like dish soap to help coat the leafs....
So here's some ingredient sheets that I've found....

SNS 217 (ready to spray, non concentrate)
http://www.planetnatural.com/planetnatural/images/sns-217-mite-spray.pdf

And SNS 217-C, the concentrated stuff, 5x stronger
http://sierranaturalscience.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SNS-217_C-Concentrate-MSDS.pdf

Liquid Ladybug: Found two different sheets with different ingredients on it?

http://sunlightsupply.com/PartPDF/704630_MSDS.pdf

http://www.kellysolutions.com/erene..._Spider_Mite_Killer_11_29_2011_9_34_29_AM.pdf

I have no idea which liquid ladybug ingredient sheet is correct but I'm seeing essential oils in very low concentrations for all of these.....rosemary and peppermint essentail oils and more google searches also named lemograss oil as an oil that can fight spider mites.
I'm not sure if these different oils all do the same thing or something slightly different, but it seems they're effective vs spider mites are are safe late in flower.

Come to find out I have a health food store right accross the street from me...I go in and pick up this stuff for under $20. I already have some dish soap.

View Image

Suprisingly the lemon oil scent seemed to be the overpowering scent of this mix when spraying.

Stay tuned for pics of leaves and report on how these oils do in fighting mites, as well eventual report of if there are any noticeable side effects on the final product....

I was looking online for info on liquid ladybug,I am now dealing with the borg as well.I purchased a sample bottle of liquid ladybug for $1.99,it arrived in 2 days time from Texas.
I sprayed it on my clones they are infected,or where.I pulled a leaf off of my flowering plants that has several mites on it and spray the leaf down well,all mites are dead almost instantly.
So I start thinking what is in it????????????
I searched online for the MSDS from google,I found this link

http://www.arbico-organics.com/downloads/liquid-ladybug-msds.pdf

It states

Peppermint oil 2%
Geraniol 1.5%
Citric Acid .5%

I know the peppermint oil is a insecticide,and geraniol, from the wiki it states that geraniol ,Research has shown geraniol to be an effective plant-based mosquito repellent.
and citric acid is used to adjust the ph.
So Im wondering why cant I make this from scratch and use it as a total plant dip to kill the borg. Then I come across this article,so I thought I would pass the information along.
I did see on their web site they are coming out with a new strength of llb.
I cant explain the differences in the msds on the same product.
I know I will be making this from scratch and trying it if it works I will pass it on here.

All BORG MUST DIE........................

Miquiztli

is anyone else using essential oils for their ipm? I just purchased some oils, planning on using rosemary, cinnamon, lemongrass, peppermint, spearmint, and lavender in rotations

shaggyballs

Veteran
is anyone else using essential oils for their ipm? I just purchased some oils, planning on using rosemary, cinnamon, lemongrass, peppermint, spearmint, and lavender in rotations

Some are more potent then others.
Some oils burn if the lights are on be careful.
PH before spraying.
Rotate as much as you can spray every other day for a week.
shag

medicalmj

Veteran
Yes, and rosemary is king! And that's also from a pro that works in a greenhouse with over a million sq/ft under glass. Sure they use traditional chemicals too, but if you wanna go OMRI, esesntials are it with rosemary being the key ingredient. And pest don't build tolerance to it.

Miquiztli

Heres what I'm gonna be using
container 1) 2 cups warm water, 1.5 tsp Potassium Silicate, 1 tsp Aloe Vera Extract 200x
container 2) 1TBS Mixed Essential Oils (cinnamon,clove, rosemary, thyme) 1.5 tsp Neem 1.5 Karanja oil
Container 3) 1gal warm water minus the 2 cups

vapor

Veteran
Heres what I'm gonna be using
container 1) 2 cups warm water, 1.5 tsp Potassium Silicate, 1 tsp Aloe Vera Extract 200x
container 2) 1TBS Mixed Essential Oils (cinnamon,clove, rosemary, thyme) 1.5 tsp Neem 1.5 Karanja oil
Container 3) 1gal warm water minus the 2 cups

?? how did it go?

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thyme, clove, cinnamon and lemongrass are extremely phytotoxic. Minor burns, I would guess.

Thread got this far, and no one mentions testing sprays on sacrificial plants/limbs? The solution OP mix looks down right herbicidal. 3% is a lot of oil, 0.5-1% is average. It is easy to track down concentrations of different oils, though I would advise to pay attention to the method of testing. A leaf-cut in a petri dish is not comparable to a growing plant.

vapor

Veteran
So i will test a plant or two. Here is what i have come up with.
1cc/1ml=18 drops in my dropper
rosemary-1.6ml-26 drops/gal
geranium-0.8ml-12drops/gal
white pine-0.4ml-6drops/gal
lemon-0.4ml-6drops/gal
peppermint-0.4ml-6drops/gal
cinnamon-0.4ml-6drops{ going to use this one sparingly till i figure things better}/gal
1ml of bio-wash for soap/liter

all oils are organic
going to cut this in half to start and see what happens////

Last edited:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
2ml per gallon is quite low, but that is not to say it will be ineffective. I believe lemon grass as a fumigant will give 95% kill at around 0.001% (10 ul/L), as an example.

The best knockdown I've had from essential oil is peppermint at 0.5%. Minor damage, 1 in 10 leaves had 2-3 very small, 2-3 mm. I eat my own words all the time, with a fresh serving of foot. My excuse, I had to wipe out aphids before beneficials arrived. 0.25% next time something crops up.