What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Enzymes without Bennies?

Are enzymes useful without a microherd?

It's my understanding that enzymes are a protein that act as a catalyst to break down organic matter and create food for the BENEFICIAL BACTERIA or micro-herd.

Anyone? Bueller?

JohnQQ

Theoretically, yes. Depending on the type of enzyme you apply, that is.

If you supply a variety of enzymes at once (a "shotgun approach") or ones specifically selected for use in decay processes, I'd say it could work sans micro-herd but not without the presence of some microbes.

I'm currently seeing lovely results using some pond enzymes I can provide information on (actually found the stuff in another thread on IC).

Theoretically, yes. Depending on the type of enzyme you apply, that is.

If you supply a variety of enzymes at once (a "shotgun approach") or ones specifically selected for use in decay processes, I'd say it could work sans micro-herd but not without the presence of some microbes.

I'm currently seeing lovely results using some pond enzymes I can provide information on (actually found the stuff in another thread on IC).

Yes please. I've been using hygrozyme for a few years. The stuff kicks ass and I love it. I've never seen whiter healthier beefier roots. I just don't really like the price too much. Pretty expensive stuff.