What's new

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!! Rhino Skin Exposed

Growbrass

OP, I'm sorry people are too thick headed to see the truths. Let those people spend more money than is needed. Fine with me!

B

Bud Bug

As far as wasting money...lol...growing Marijuana is all about spending money. I never knew how expensive this hobby could be until I got involved. Grow tents, lights, nutrients, pots, fans, TDS/PH meters...The list goes on..

Sorry but wit the ROI on growing weed the hobby is dirt cheap but that doesn't mean you need to spend money on fancy overpriced nutrients where the label and bottle cost more then whats in them.

Wanna see an expensive hobby try taking up photography seriously.

jonnygreenjeans

Good points though guys...I'm taking all this info and basing my next purchase on it. I've been looking into a good silica additive but I was wondering is it best to use it in veg through bloom or just bloom like I've seen suggested?

joedub

Now back to the subject at hand....Rhino Skin is very diluted from what I can see. But that doesn't mean that it's a bad product. It would probably be good for a drip system because some of the other silica products can clog a drip line in a heart beat.

Someone told me about Silica Blast just the other day and I did some research on it and it seems good for most growing methods, but I have heard it can be a pain in the A$$ when it comes to a drip system such as a Water Farm..

But BudLink seems to be the one I am going to go with because it doesn't cause the PH to rise too much and a lot Good growers in Europe Swear by this stuff. I actually found a place that ships to the USA...Yayyy :)

IMO it being more dilute does make it a bad product, I fail to see your logic for the clogging issue? PS is PS, and if you have same ppm's of it whether from diluted rhino skin or some other better more concentrated brand, it will be same consistency once diluted into your reservoir, so if Silica Blast is going to clog your system, so will the Rhino Skin in that same PPM's. As far as PH swings the more it swings the more concentrated the PS is, all it means is to affect your PH swing less and not clog your system you simply need to use less of the more quality concentrated product.

I currently use Pro-Tekt, but will try the yellowbottles when I run out, because I always try to buy the best quality concentrated product @ best price I can get my hands on. IMHO Rhino Skin is definitely not a quality product, diluting a product and charging more is not my idea of quality.

Last edited:

cacamal

I have been seeing a lot of misguided people in the forums talking about how great Rhino Skin is and how its a "higher quality product". THIS IS A LOAD OF CRAP.

Look at the derived from section:

POTASSIUM SILICATE

Now, lets look at the derived from section on Dyna Gro's Pro-TeKt or the Yellow Bottle (bloom) Silicon:

POTASSIUM SILICATE

Hmmmm..... Whats the difference???

WELL.... Big mike and the other marketing geniuses that you have all made VERY, VERY wealthy will tell you : (quote from advanced nutrients website) "Unlike all other hydroponics silicate products, Rhino Skin is easy to mix and easy for your plants to absorb. That’s because Rhino Skin contains the correct form of silica for use in all types of hydroponics gardening situations."

Well Big Mike.... According to the derived from section, which you are required by law to have on the bottle, you have the EXACT same stuff as pro-TeKt, but for some reason yours works better...... hmm..... Must be the magic fairy dust they put in every bottle. Or maybe Big Mike has an answer...

O wait... OF COURSE HE DOES... HES BIG MIKE... HE KNOWS ALL THIS STUFF THAT TONS AND TONS OF PHD PLANT SCIENTISTS JUST COULDN'T FIGURE OUT.

Ready for the answer? He claims that (another quote) :
"Other companies make products with inferior sources of SiO2 that create pH problems and unnecessary salinity in the nutrient solution. These inferior products can actually deter growth and reduce yield."

Ok... Wow... it makes sense now big mike.. You guys somehow have secured a deal with a secret manufacturer of super potassium silicate that is so much better than any other potassium silicate and somehow you managed to strike a deal that they will ONLY sell that stuff to Advanced Nutrients and NOT A SINGLE OTHER SOUL ON THE PLANET........

OR

ADVANCED NUTRIENTS IS FULL OF CRAP AND RIPPING PEOPLE OFF EVERY HOUR OF EVERY DAY.

Pro-TeKt - 7.8 % silicon derived from potassium silicate
Rhino skin - 1% silicon derived from potassium silicate

Pro-Tekt - $15
Rhino-Skin - $35

Now don't you feel silly.......?

Advanced Nutrients- The best marketing and advertising money can buy!!

too bad you were banned I like eye openers like this thanks!

So they are gonna water down all their stuff so it fits into this new ph perfect line?

Call me old-fashioned but I like my stuff concentrated with as little water in the bottle as possible, then I can provide my own water and mix my nutes to the strength I desire using my trusty ec truncheon!

I agree the best thing about an was that it gave you a lot of control over the grow due to all the segregated nutes.

NoRest

My brother who studied biodynamic ag at UCDavis said that the best silica is sourced from Horsetail Reeds harvested from within 5 miles of your farm. You grind them, dry them and add into your compost tea.

That said Ive used both ProTek and Silca Blast and I use them up until flush. Both seemed to have similar results. I try to get the ProTek just becuase in was the first I tried and seems to be a good product.

SGMeds

Those of you able to run a controlled experiment... esp those w a finer palate... try the silicate on one through the normal nute regiment of flowering. Then try one when you stop applying the silicate at the end of wk 1 flower.

Several tests... untreated had a 'better' taste... even w buddies. Maybe all in our heads, but give it a run & try for yourself...?

Pretty sure they found this w strawberries... lowered overall flavor. That was eating vs smoking, so again, maybe in my head since already aware of this...???

KingDro

What about Botanicare Silica? That shit is pretty cheap too.

Silica blast is OK but not very good. Firstly, it is very dilute. Only 2% silicon. Secondly, it contains sodium silicate. The two forms of silicon available to plants are sodium silicate and potassium silicate. Sodium silicate is generally not used because additional sodium in the growing medium is counter productive. Pro-TeKt is the shit. 7.8% silicon all from potassium silicate so you get more concentration and no sodium.

G

Growbaer

Potassium silicate is used as a bonding agent to paint wood with silicate paint. You can get potassium silicate in a painting shop, here in Germany for about 20 Euro (~25 Dollar) per 5 litres. The concentration is 8% K2O and 20% SiO2.

The density of potassium silicate is measured in Grad Baumé. The term 28/30° means 8% K2O and 20% SiO2 at 30 degrees Celsius, which is the highest concentration with low viscosity. Anything thicker won't be usable for hydroponics.

Sorry about my bad English :shucks:

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
honostly anyone buying anythign but protekt silicia is getting ripped off... Thats the bottom line. One of the cheapest if not the cheapest and is the most concentrated by far. Stop buying into the marketing...

Look at the bottles active ingredients and compare for yourself...

G

Guest 18340

Bud Bug, lets keep this thread on topic.
Post that in the Tokers Den if you want.

Last edited:
B

Bud Bug

Bud Bug.... What have your contributed to this discussion...... this is nothing but stupidity. Take your devils advocate bullshit to another site. Nobody wants to listen to your crap.

Let me make it clear for you again

Rhinos Skin 4L Sug retail $100 8ml/gal will do 500gal
Hydrotek Silicate 1L Sug Retail 34.99 1ml/gal will so 1000 gal
Pro Guard 4L Sug retail 34.99 10ml/gal wil do 400gal

Now I wonder which one is a rip off and with which one you're financing fancy labels and Rosebud propaganda.

Now there's nothing wrong with AN products themselves, they are just like the other 10 manufacturers on the shelves BUT its how they go about making exaggerated claims.

mjactivist

so what about this?

so what about this?

The density of potassium silicate is measured in Grad Baumé. The term 28/30° means 8% K2O and 20% SiO2 at 30 degrees Celsius, which is the highest concentration with low viscosity. Anything thicker won't be usable for hydroponics.
What about the Yellow Bottle's Silica Bloom. Its 53.2% silica, are u saying this is unusable in hydroponics?
honostly anyone buying anythign but protekt silicia is getting ripped off... Thats the bottom line. One of the cheapest if not the cheapest and is the most concentrated by far. Stop buying into the marketing...

Look at the bottles active ingredients and compare for yourself...
Again what about the Yellow Bottle's Silica Bloom. Its 53.2% silica and Pro-Tekt is 7.8%. Thats make Yellow Bottles almost 7x times as concentrated. If u do the math, u get much more for money from Yellow Bottle's Silica Bloom.
Unless I find out something new. From the first part of this post.
L8
MJ

KingDro

What about the Yellow Bottle's Silica Bloom. Its 53.2% silica, are u saying this is unusable in hydroponics?

Again what about the Yellow Bottle's Silica Bloom. Its 53.2% silica and Pro-Tekt is 7.8%. Thats make Yellow Bottles almost 7x times as concentrated. If u do the math, u get much more for money from Yellow Bottle's Silica Bloom.
Unless I find out something new. From the first part of this post.
L8
MJ

Listen man, this stuff is also 8 times more expensive. Not to mention how impractical it is to use this shit. It makes it very hard to mix properly when it has that high of a silicon conctration.

Protekt is the shit. You guys wanna drop that much money on a little bottle of silica go for it. Gallon of protekt costs 35$, if you do the math, i believe you are getting more for you money versus a liter of yellow bottle.

mjactivist

Listen man, this stuff is also 8 times more expensive. Not to mention how impractical it is to use this shit. It makes it very hard to mix properly when it has that high of a silicon conctration.

Protekt is the shit. You guys wanna drop that much money on a little bottle of silica go for it. Gallon of protekt costs 35$, if you do the math, i believe you are getting more for you money versus a liter of yellow bottle.

I never said Pro-Tetk isn’t a quality product. But, ur spoutin off B/S. If u think Pro-tekt is a 1/8 of the price, then it should cost $7.50 an L. And at $35 a gallon that’s $9.25 a L. So what am I missing? Maybe u get the best deals, no one else knows about.
Not to mention how impractical it is to use this shit.
How impractical is it? I've never had an issue with it being hard to mix. Have u ever used this product or u just talkin shit? I use it as my Ph up and I only need about .5-1ml for 5 gallons. So this bottle will last longer than I will.

Here’s the math-
Pro-Tekt- Silica Bloom-
7.8% silicon 53.2% silicon

53.2 / 7.8 = 6.8205128
So Yellow Bottles is 6.8 times more concentrated. It costs $60/L. so the Pro-Tekt should cost 6.8 times less.

So its not 8x times the cost.
L8
MJ