What's new

Endur's GS "COOKIES" forum cut

Endur

Veteran
Hornsswaggle X Cookies#2 Harvested on day 65.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

GorillaGlue

That Hornswaggle looks mighty tasty Endur.

I don't know if anyone else put it out there, and I know I will inevitably stir controversy, but I have a few ideas about cookies:

1. The breeder changed formula or re-made cookies-- as there was a change in product in the last 5 years.

2. "F1 Durb" is obviously not F1 x Durban as some internet experts wrote. I strongly suspect Durban x Power plant, durban x pure power plant, or simply pure power plant. I say that because these clubs had since early on, some fast-flowering Durban or durban F1's. Either fast-flowering IBL or possibly (Durban x Sk) x Durban x durban.

All probably sold as Durban Poison rather than complicated things with a new name and reduced recognition. Their Durban was always a cross, possibly a hybrid, probably an F1.

Taste-wise I remember when I traveled up north to the clubs and tried Durban, they had the distinct sweetness of Indica was there, as was the minty anise of the Durban. Sativa-leaning durban can be 11-16 weeks flowering which is not something the Bay Area clubs would have liked working with over and over. I'm talking the years right after 215.

In terms of 'pure sativas' on their menu, though they weren't, they always had a short-flowering durban. Another that was popular was a fast-flowering Jamaican which is probably a 15% indica. They sold it simply as Lambsbread or Lambsbreath.

3. Flo_rida kush. As is the case all over California, the OG Kush craze took over for even the breeders of the cookies. I remember OG this or that being big, and still going strong.

I propose Flo_Rida is a cryptic reference to Skywalker or Herojuana OG Kush not to be mistaken by the (Mazar x BB) x OGK Skywalker OG, and the ****** HJ x OGK. Heroj not Herij. Both thin-leaf sativa dom showing 3-leaf tendencies.

Flo_Rida -> Florida.
Skywalker OG came by way of Downey from Florida according to some well connected people in California.

4. On the origins of chem:

The Grateful Dead concert and Colorado/Montana origin is most likely a myth.

There are some old-timers that swear by OG Kush being around well before 1991. Some profiteering genius did some reverse engineering to derive chemdawg. Maybe a headband IBL (OGK x SD) further crossed with a lowland Thai. I say that because headband has similarities to chemdawg, but there is something else to chem. My palate notices similarities between 70s lowland Thai, brown Thai, Thai sticks, and chemdawg, but also thaitanic and chocolope. Nep-Thai x Headband-IBL would not surprise me. Nep to shorten the flowering on the Thai.

I postulate that the reason there aren't 50 different additional chemdawgs is not because of the 12 limited beans from chemdog's pouch but because of problems related to hermaphrodites and tropical climate needs of Thai.

I'm talking OGK was around well before as in 1970s.

5. Origins of Tahoe:

Not sure why this is not brought up, but I believe Master Thai is one cat that made the OG prominent in California. Marginalized and ignored because he suffers from pain and is grumpy. And yes, OGRaskal, Swerve, etc. deserve credit for introducing various OG Kushes, but MT is old-school and has some great pain-killing herb. The man knows good medical herb!

The big players know that people don't line up to buy $100-$150 packs with replicable genetic parents and a poor story and name. Superlatives, a story of a rare mother and father, and a story of some serendipity and luck is how strains are sold, not sheer merit.

GorillaGlue

Some old timers in Colorado, the old-school can verify for you the Colorado Green Bud or KGB was different from OG Kush. The samples I have had, and this is from memory of decades past, was that it was not chemically or fuely but rather funky skunky. My notes suggest some relation to AK-47 but these are old notes so I am not sure.

If a breeder named Moio is still around, he probably can shed light on the CGB. You would think if the beginnings of Chem, OGK, and Diesel came out of Montana via Colorado, some of the biker gangs or street gangs would have legit chem cuts, but they do not exist.

Chem and its story were created. Just like GC Snoop Dogg story, just like the story of this or that dreadlocked hippie gave me a single bag seed, this or that. Imagine if a legendary strain royalty had even a single grandparent that was say a $20-$30 pack, then that would lessen the marketability of the strain AND drive sales to that cheap strain. Royalty can't be known to come from common stock. So there is a myth of separate elite genetics, but some 1990s breeder knows full well there were probably 90-99 plants and good selection going into CD. Maybe Mr. Chemdog himself in MA.

GorillaGlue

As for cookies, more than the merits of the original strain of which I have sampled and grown a S1 of, the rap song, viral name, and copy-cat strains propelled it to stardom. If anything, there are a large fraction of cookie lovers that are in love with the platinum cookies with cherry pie lineage. Good cherry pie from up north is candy sweet, not exactly cherry. High quality platinum cookies is in its own right a gem, and would probably win blind smoke tests versus 'legit' cookies. Were it not for the 'purp' (grapey purple), would cookie be what it is today? Probably not. Somehow here in SoCal they have a never-ending love-affair with OG Kush phenos and kush-kush crosses, woody, madman, louis, diamond, fire, tahoe, larry, bloodhound, aggressive, tripple, biker, skywalker, $100, etc. In NorCal they love their cloyingly sweet purple indicas. 'Fake' cookies are as much the success story if not more than the thin mint.

Latest posts

Latest posts