What's new

End of flower...leaves color changing question

...personally I like to harvest from a healthy mature plant just like the veggies in my garden

Funny you should mention that. I've been pondering that the past few days...comparing harvesting Cannabis vs. veggies and fruits. I always harvest veggies and fruits regardless of the condition of the plant itself, while it's usually healthy looking. So I was questioning why it was beneficial to harvest Cannabis in a starved state. I think I'm with you on that one, although I will try the starvation method this time to see if it's any different from my previous harvests.

Thanks for the contribution Dirtfinger.

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
Everyone has their own tastes, but personally I like to harvest from a healthy mature plant just like the veggies in my garden. I want the plants happy to the end and going out in a blaze of glory, not all depressed and limping out on crutches

happy? depressed? Are we thinking like a plant or a human? What about plant cycles?

Isn't chlorophyll our enemy? I don't think you can use your veggie logic since we are smoking 'em. I forget where I read it, but olde tyme farmers would stick nails into the base of plants to get them to finish up (stress is good). IMO any green in the leaf is wasted energy that could be more bud. Like I said in my previous post, experiment w/ clones to find the best times, I have and love the results.

I think it is an advantage that we can cut out the food in coco. It's like the "wrap it up" button for weed.

Here's Sam's word:
I also prefer soil grown plants, that run out of nitrogen just before harvest, it is all about taste.
-SamS

OPT

The way I've always thought about it was this:

The green in plant is chlorophyl, it is the reason plants have the green pigment they have. This is what causes smoke to be harsh in an end product. This is the same reason why people cure pot, to further break down the chlorophyl to have a nice smooth end product.

By flushing a plant late in it's life cycle, this ensures the plant uses all the available nutrients in it's system. The leaves turn pale because the plant is sucking the last bit of nitrogen out of itself in hopes to keep it's life going that much longer. The paling of the leaves will result in less cholorophyl, and thus, less harsher smoke in the end product.

Of course, just doing this will make the taste better then not, but to further enhance the end product to make it even more smooth, that's when the proper drying and curing needs to be done.

If you flush your plants well enough, and do a nice cure, there shouldn't be a reason why your plants should not burn like they should, and be as smooth as they should.

OPT

Latest posts

Latest posts