What's new

Encouraging Males

G

Hello

does anybody have any proof-positive ways to promote cannabis seedlings to show male sex? I am aware of the lores and myths regarding environmental stress... what i would like to know is there a chemical, or even organic substance that can be applied in either a foliar or to the root zone that will encourage males?
a "Bizarro world sensa spray??"
:bigeye:

what i was thinking..
(after smoking some outstanding haze, i mean the best weed i have smoked all year :yummy:)
...was if there was such a product, one could grow the desired seedlings, clone early on, veg the cuts in 24/0 and apply the spray once they have fully taken?
(keeping the mothers in the same photoperiod, for later use, a "selfed?" seed? and crosses within, and outside the line..)
this was my thought, and still is,
I know it's a longshot but some of the more experienced breeders that pass through may have an answer..

if you can't already tell i have an extremely limited seedstock for this golden strain, and to be honest, i believe there is only one other group on earth holding this particular plant, they will never bee seen by me thats for sure so i doubt it will ever get out if i don't save it. :petting:
5538konagoldupskirtxxx-thumb.JPG

thanks much (in advance) :kissass:

Last edited:
G

how many seedlings do u have, d00d? if u have more than 3 i pretty much guarantee u will get a male...i know i would, lol...seriously though i think if u put the unsexed seedlings in veg with like two or three times as many female clones then that will encourage males...i don't have any proof of this but i get a really high ratio of males from the last seeds i started and i think it was cause they were around so many girls to begin with and that just kind of pushes them towards being male for reproductive reasons...i also think stress in the 3rd and 4th weeks of veg will encourage male plants from what i've heard...in the end though if u have a bunch of seeds its been 55-45 or even 60-40 M/F, some people get lots of females but i never seem to....

m.steelers

Enlightened
Veteran
There is Gibberellic Acid, which some have applied to encourage female plants to produce male flowers. It is applied in a spray over the plant. Supposedly, the treated plants will hermie, producing seeds likely to be females.

Does that help?

m

G

i know lol im really stoned and was just thinkin too hard for my own good LOL i have 2 kona golds up and running and 4 seeds remaining... 1 small pack of seeds was shipped to a friend in a better climate to run them outdoors so theres only a few more to go and i was just curious :-D

i was thinking the all females around thing too, hasnt proven anything yet but i also never tried around more than 6 fems at once (popping seedlings and growing them up beside the girls that is) so i may have to try that again.. right now they are in with the other unsexed plants and 7 female clones.

thx again!

cj

thx for hitting back right quick PDNY

G

thx m.steelers

it may but i was thinking of something else, i still havent tried the reveg thang so in time it may happen onit's own, this strain is super resistant tho and hasnt so far when extreme stress has been applied so i dunno yet.

thx bro

cj

G

how about i just bring the seedplants to the flower room? LOL! any thoughts?
it's a flowerroom and i think its better than adding an unknown chem to such rarities??? i think i need to sit my ass down now and smoke again because i'm starting to see this idea hit the poop shoot reallll quick :D

thx again, if anyone has the "spanish fly" , please weigh in :p

cj

G

PhatDaddynugsYo said:
some people get lots of females but i never seem to....
LOL take summa my hoes mang :whip: ...last seedrun before this (outdoors, winter sown and sexed inside) we came out with 100% female ratio from all standard seeds. Amazing as they were all grown up together and there were i think 7 bushes and some clones in the area! maybe this is whats scaring me, i have always had low male ratios, maybe i havent grown enough strains
:bongsmi: sendin some female vibrations (hehehe) your way :biglaugh: :spank:
cj

G

CJ-

There's a guy named Jojorizo over on CW that reverses female clones to males regularly. He uses STS, whatever that may be.

http://www.cannabisworld.org/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89871

There are also a bunch of threads about STS in the "Breeding & Strains" forum at CW.

http://www.cannabisworld.org/vbportal/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=18

See this thread for a supposedly safer reliable alternative

http://www.cannabisworld.org/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89412

Last edited:
G

hey thx ambre i will be checking these out in a few minutes thx a lot!

...speaking of CW if you do a search in 3LB's posts you'll find that there is a strain recommended for migrains.. it's pukeberry cross of some shape or form, take care ambre and good luck on your new test grow! :-D
cj

G

guest123

hey captin ,, i believe there is ,,i find if i plant seeds late in the season , many of the plants wil be male ,, i m guessing its a survival thing , and we all know how much cannabis is into survival ,or we would not be here ..

G

I guess I can spread my Mojo backwards for ya?? Hoping for Males will be a New thing for me. If you get no male from your limited stock the way I would preserve a larger percentage of the genetics would be the Mr Soul Cubing technique which, in brief (theres a cubing thread-I'll get a link), means introducing male genetics "other than" and breeding them Out through successive Male back crosses with the P1 Female. Why chance fuggin the few surviving members of your strain up all together with some chemically enhanced gene code or some other freak anamolous thang (yeah I'm talkin HermiePhobic BS I know)? You never cease to amaze me CJ and I'm hoping for some dudes in your garden. I just came out of a High Male Ratio slump or I'd say "Send em to Herb he'll get a dude for ya". Good luck!

G

yep, THANKS WALLY
im on the story btw ;)
just read it through again and the gears are spinning in my head!
...after another bubbler of haze :)

bew well wally and thanks again everyone, this is all very helpful, amre, your links, so far are outstanding.. thankd for tsking the time to respond everybody

(ambre: still havent fully read through LOL its a lot of info but exactly what i was looking for)
:rasta:
cj

G

herb thanks bro i hope my female ratios stay high, but really, it's up to mother nature.

Mr Soul Cubing technique
i am familiar herb thx i do have plans to cube it once i know what i have..
i will smoke another one in honer of the great WEEDWRAPPERMANG gracing my thread. thanks dude :wink:
:bongsmi:
cj

G

btw the Fabulous furry freak bros are sumpthin else man---great sig :rasta:

cj

G

The Link is......

The Link is......

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=15238&highlight=Cubing
Gracing your thread? More like greasing you up. I might want to see some progeny from said experiment made available. Just what is this Golden Strain you speak of? Something Jack? Something Cherry? Can you give us a hint as to what we are trying to preserve? Your title should read Mad Thinker.

Last edited:
G

terrific herb thx, all my bookmarks weremysteriously deleted yesterday :chin: so between you and ambre i'm building a nice collection back ;joint: joint time i think soon i dunno i have to finish reading a bit forst LOLLLLL

cj

G

I updated the Link post as you were creating another page. You sneaky bastard. What Golden Strain are we trying to help you preserve if I might ask?

G

:biglaugh: more like insomniatic mad sativa diva on crack :D

it was crossed to jack also but that project has been halted as of right now, i have other things lined up like cracking these few beans and getting started here....

on the jack and kona
[btw herb kona i have has ZERO relation as far as i know to kona cherry which is also an heirloom big island strain but mine is supposedly not let out, and doesnt herm so seeds are extremely scarce, the seedds i have are from 02 and were purchased for 10 USD EACH by a certain group of oldschool dudes in Kona as an exception in sympathy for a friend of ours who is now deceased (she brought them back, how she met up with them i do not know, and, i can not ask her....]

jack accomplished the flower time task but it still took a while to initiate in the one plant i grew out, its not really what i was thinking of using right away but it is an option...i have seeds germing and pollen available also of the jack, the clone mom i keep is a nice selection i picked from a few of a friends greenhouse moms,, it's a branchy thin leafed pheno, extra frost and quite quick, will let you know when she flowers out, right now shes RE-veggin out and still putting out crystals and hairs even in 24/0 after a couple months but it needs a haircut so i am cloning later i think :wink: im off to chat :wave:

cj

Last edited:
G

I wasn't aware you had da Old Skool. You're a Double Sneaky Bastard. I'm keeping my eye on you. I'm hitting you with the extra good mojo workin cause Losing a Winner sucks. I lost a Garlic (I believe I may have it in a cross) which I had in seed and didn't work in time. Sadly all "known" to be pure did not pop as they were very old (Sorry Sin). Let us know how this works out.