What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Emerald Cup 2015

mack 10

Veteran
Was there not many hundreds of entry's last year?
$250 plus bud is gonna make someone a nice chunk of change.
Maybe$25 would be more intune with the amount of entry's they will receive.
Emerald cup gone comerch?

theJointedOne

Veteran
250 plus bud? Dam they are getting greedy eh? Still..its a good time. Plus i bet its a pretty expensive shin dig to put on.

Recommend going , Especially if you enter, you get a cool laminate pass and VIP smoke lounges.

A$NOB

Does anyone know if they will be releasing a vendor list? I'm looking forward to this cup hopefully can meet up with some ICers.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lots of ICers drop by the Bog's booth ... great place to share a puff and some good vibes.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
If i have to pay im not entering anything. seriously they probably blast 90% of the entries into bho, that plus ticket sales and vendor booth fees should cover overhead costs, why tax the contest participants? Maybe they dont want so many entries

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i would love to meet up with icmagers and burn one down and trade some seeds and shit.

last year i walked around and didn't talk to a soul, hopefully won't be the same this year.

lots of CA mmj docs provide their own laminated ID cards that all look different so it might be possible to spoof a card but those things sometime check ID's too.
I've been to various mmj events in CA but not the Emerald cup yet.

if you are out of state try to work a deal with a vendor to get a vendor wristband.

at HT cups your booth comes with a few bands but you can buy as many as you want onsite for $90.
the vendor wristband lets you bypass the medical card check.:biggrin:

I was looking into getting a booth there to sell seeds but they have ridiculous requirements including proof of liability insurance to vend there.
anybody with a booth there who want to rent out some space PM me.

What up CP will u have any 2.0 cuts with u this time?

Alohas

St. Phatty

Motel 6 South on Cleveland is

WAAAY better than Motel 6 North on Cleveland - in Santa Rosa - about 2 miles from the fairgrounds.

lfwgd9clyjeh5qsqgdn.jpg

Made a map for you all.

Cleveland is up there at the top. Between the 2 Motel 6's on Cleveland, there is a dispensary, my favorite one when I lived in the area.

Sonoma Patient Group Dispensary ...
https://www.leafly.com/dispensary-info/sonoma-patient-groupLeafly
Rating: 4.6 - ‎40 votes - ‎Price range: $7.00 - $20.00 per gram
Sonoma Patient Group Medical Marijuana Dispensary in Santa Rosa, CA.
2425 Cleveland Ave # 140, Santa Rosa, CA 95403
(707) 526-2800

Coffee Places - at the corner of Cleveland & Guerneville/ Steele.

Starbuck's - over on Mendocino, a few blocks north of Guerneville/ Steele.

Guerneville/ Steele & College are the local exits. There's a good gas station (Valero) on College right off the highway.

Also there's a Subway inside the gas station at the corner of Cleveland & Guerneville/ Steele.

Ice Skating - on Steele Lane.
It's Peanuts'ville (Home of Charles Schulz.) This is part of what he did with his Peanuts $$ ==>
"Snoopy's Home Ice"
https://www.snoopyshomeice.com/
Public Skating Times Today. Monday ... Public Skate-Chairs Allowed ... Snoopy's Home Ice • 1667 West Steele Lane • Santa Rosa, CA 95403 • 707-546-7147

relic1981

Veteran
There was what 800+ entry's last yr, I will be

If i have to pay im not entering anything. seriously they probably blast 90% of the entries into bho, that plus ticket sales and vendor booth fees should cover overhead costs, why tax the contest participants? Maybe they dont want so many entries

exactly... they want it to be serious entries only. i think $250 is a bit much but they definatly arent blowing oil from entries lol and yeas they have some commercial sponsors but nothing like hightimes cups or any other cups. this year is also the first humboldt county cup so that will be super interesting. a very non commercial insiders whos who of humboldt and probably some mendo heads.. these judges arent shay like that. all are well respected members of the norcal/ triangle cannabis community. there are so many judges it takes a hefty sample to be spread out to the judges... putting a entry fee just weeds out the people who arent as serious about therir meds and are kinda like, what the heck, ill enter just so i can say i did. this will cut out those types and leave the true advanced growers to be more focused on. plus with 800 entries at some point in the day your not going to be able to tell which strain is doing what, plus the palate gets worn out just like anything else. i remember talking to a judge last year and he said it was extremely difficult to judge, not just because of the many good contenders but because they were literally smoking 20 plus strains a day at about a gram a piece, enough to roll a joint or a nice pipe, for over a month. most judges get halfway down the joint and put it out because its not gonna get any better tasting than the first few tokes. taking the time to write down the effects, flavors, things that stand out, terps, etc its a lot to take in and consider, especially with almost a thousand entries !. sH*t gets hazy when your power puffing like that. im a very heavy user of cannabis, all day everyday but i dont smoke 20 plus grams a day. maybe 7 or 10 and a a few grams of oil but not 20 grams of different strains. i would love to try though! lmfao:)

testymctester

Veteran
Official reason for the entry fee is similar to a lot of competitions now, test all entries before they make it to judges. See below...

"Thank you for your interest in competing in the 12th annual Emerald Cup!

This event was started as a friendly competition to highlight the hard work of outdoor, organic cannabis farmers. It has always been and will always be about celebrating the passion of California's best cultivators, breeders, and makers of concentrates, edibles, and topicals.

As many of you know, The Emerald Cup has grown exponentially – since 2004! – in large part due to the increasing number of sun-grown, organic entries we have received each year. We’re always humbled to see the outpouring of interest from across the state of California to compete in The Emerald Cup: last year, 900 entries were submitted!

The Emerald Cup gets bigger and, we hope, provides better service to our community each year, and we’re excited about a number of changes for 2015. These include a much larger 215 area, new competition categories for solventless concentrates (ice-water hash, rosin, and dry sieve), new competition categories for CBD flower entries (split by CBD:THC ratio) and terpene testing and awards. Another change from past years: we are now requiring a $250 fee for each entry.

We know this is a big shift from the past 11 years, and we want to be fully transparent with you, our contestants, and explain exactly why we made this change. We want to assure you up front that our intention is not to profit from these fees, but simply to cover the costs associated with running a huge competition, including lab testing for all entries.

Every entry will receive a full spectrum of tests (microbiological, pesticide, residual solvent, and cannabinoids/terpenes, as applicable) from SC Labs. The microbiological, pesticide, and residual solvent testing is, to us, a minimum requirement to protect health and safety, and we’re including the terpene testing to recognize the critical role they play in how we interact with cannabis (The Emerald Cup will give its first award for Best Terpenes this year).

For the safety of our judges, lab tests will be completed before any medicine is actually judged – and any entry that fails microbiological, pesticide, or residual solvent testing will be disqualified prior to judging. In the past, many entries have been dropped off at the last minute, which puts a lot of pressure on SC Labs, drop-off locations, drivers, judges, and other staff to ensure a quick turnaround and confirm that everything is done as safely as possible. We’re doing the best we can to avoid that crush, but with drop-off locations across the state, the competition remains an exciting challenge to bring to fruition.

We want to host The Emerald Cup for years to come, and we will always strive to operate this competition and the entire event with the highest level of integrity. We know that many of you will have opinions about the changes we are making this year, and we want to hear from you to learn how we might further improve things in the future. Please send comments to contests@theemeraldcup.com and know that we will consider your input as we craft next year’s event. We truly appreciate your continuing interest and participation in The Emerald Cup, and we value your patience as all of us navigate the realities of coming together for the worlds largest and longest-running, outdoor, organic, medical cannabis competition. It’s going to be a great year!

See you in Santa Rosa in December!"

SC Labs does charge $250 for a full workup including microbiological, pesticide, potency, and terpene testing. They also give very steep discounts when getting 50+, so the entire entry fee is not going towards testing.

testymctester

Veteran
Also, I'm about 10 minutes from the fairgrounds in Santa Rosa if anyone has any questions about the area. This year has a bigger space for sure and the 215 area is under a big roof for the first time.

I'm definitely down for an icmag meetup - smoke sesh, happy hour, dinner out, whatever

Wendull C.

Veteran
I'm coming out of my cave to go. Any tips from you veterans? Like how to get to the best od before everyone snatches it up? Or how fast the seed vendors sell out. I'm an indo guy mostly and I know at the cups we get booths at you hardly ever get to burn on the entries, unless it is you or the crew entering.

I used to spend a lot of time in Garberville and Alder Point and hunt there a lot so it's not all new to me.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yup it will get rid of a lot of mom and pop type growers ... if that is the idea behind such a high entry fee ... then its working.

theJointedOne

Veteran
I'm coming out of my cave to go. Any tips from you veterans? Like how to get to the best od before everyone snatches it up? Or how fast the seed vendors sell out. I'm an indo guy mostly and I know at the cups we get booths at you hardly ever get to burn on the entries, unless it is you or the crew entering.

I used to spend a lot of time in Garberville and Alder Point and hunt there a lot so it's not all new to me.

I didn't go last year, but attended the previous few years. I didn't see much bud being sold at all. BOG sells souvenirs then he gives you some bud or hash with it. But yea its almost byobud, the exception being theirs usually tons of folks happy to pass a j or a hash rig around. Definitely lots of hash heads at the event. I got my pops lifted off some fmcd some dude was passing around the tables.

Also if you enter, you get VIP room access where some guy or girl just walks around the entire time day and night and hands out samples of the entries to folks hanging in the tent. I think I took home a half zip of entry samples, Haha

As far as seeds its probably best to get to your desired breeder asap.

Also
.. A fun thing about this event is many folks in the industry are present and trying to network. You may get lucky and make a new connection in this world..ya never know, heck two years ago I was just rolling up a joint, some guy passes by asks to check out the nugs, turns out he's a photographer with weed work you'd all recognize. I give him a few fat nugs, we exchange contact info. I didn't think twice about it for a couple months till the spring he sends me an email saying he photod my flowers and is entering the strain into his new book! Which is here : http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/14521...+marijuana&dpPl=1&dpID=51Op0r-r2hL&ref=plSrch

Big up ganja rebel genetics

St. Phatty

I used to live there. Thought I would share some more maps of the place.

This next one shows some important things - where to get a coffee in the morning or a decent smoothie in the afternoon.

Steele/Guerneville is one of the main exits off of 101. If you take Steele East to Mendocino Avenue, Mendocino Ave is one of the main North South drags in Santa Rosa - will take you downtown to the good Chinese places, and underneath 12 to the Fairgrounds.

8t8ebvsdsiw9g49rr2k.jpg

Anyway, I just wanted to show one of the shopping centers where you can take care of your blood sugar level. Safeway + Starbuck's + Jamba Juice (Smoothies).

Do they have decent parking at the Emerald Cups ?

A$NOB

I'm counting days down for this, If you do plan to get seeds from a vendor or booth is there a line or just get to the front quick and hope for the best? Also should you bring a backpack or something to hold your gear? Thanks for your time 🙌🙌