What's new

Elevator in the Forest

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Fourth planting, 15th May

Fourth planting, 15th May

Another gorgeous day today, and the most pleasant planting session yet - now we know the growspaces back to front, it's much easier to split the tasks and get it all done efficiently. That said, we spent four hours there today, which is longer than normal, but it was so nice that we just couldn't come home, especially with Goldfinger, OG Kush and SAGE to smoke while we were doing it!

Both patches have a 'den' close by, in silver birch or hawthorn trees, and have paths that lead out to the various plants. So we can stash all the equipment, plants etc. under cover, and just leave to do each job, then return. That way we're minimizing the chance of being seen, and even a helicopter can't see us, now the leaves are out. We basically get to re-live our teenage years with something constructive at the end of it! It's also great for smoking spliffs in safety, watching the plants waft in the breeze...:)

So - we planted another six plants - another Cocoa Kush, a Hashberry and a Grape Krush, another Early Special, another B3/N7 X Erdpurt and (I think) an Erdpurt X Eroc/DP. Both patches are slowly filling up - there's only room for about three more in patch 2 as it's smaller, but it's higher up the hill and better camouflaged, so we've put all the large plants in here - some were over two feet tall at planting. We also lugged another 30 litres of water and gave them the lot.

So in the next two weeks we'll put out the final plants, which are frantically vegging as quickly as possible, as I don't want them to be too small - yet more strains. Further crazy additions may include two three-foot trees, a green Flo and a SAGE, which are currently in my friend's bathroom. They're really big, and I'm not sure whether that might be pushing it a bit, both in taking them out, and the size they might reach!

I'll try and take photos shortly, and put up some kind of plan of each patch with the plants labelled as best I can, before we forget...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Here be the treasure...

Here be the treasure...

Arrrr...to be sure, a map is always a good thing.

And firstly, a big thanks goes to Adobe, for providing a dinky little cannabis leaf in their 'Custom Shapes' menu within Photoshop - very handy guys!

So here's the layout so far from Google Earth, with scales left on the bottom for size reference - first patch 1, then 2:

I'll add labels to these as we go along - there's still one or two I need to check with my pal, but should be able to update patch 1 shortly. Hopefully I'll be able to get the camera again in the next couple of days for some actual photos of the plants in situ, especially in patch 2, which hasn't been featured yet, and is sweeet...:)

Hmm...the scaling isn't too hot on the pics - sorry...:(

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I've updated the map for patch 1, and will hopefully get the other one tomorrow, once I've had chance to check the notes...which I don't have...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Ulp - I just heard there'd been some ground frost up in the hills a few days ago, and possibly again tonight. They only said to worry about 'tender' plants, and I'm hoping that as some are over two feet tall, they're past the tender stage! But my friends are going up tomorrow to have a look just in case - I doubt there'll be a problem, but best to be sure...

G

Guyute54

Elevator Man said:
Ulp - I just heard there'd been some ground frost up in the hills a few days ago, and possibly again tonight. They only said to worry about 'tender' plants, and I'm hoping that as some are over two feet tall, they're past the tender stage! But my friends are going up tomorrow to have a look just in case - I doubt there'll be a problem, but best to be sure...

Looking great so far. Lot's of great variety's you have. I wouldn't worry to much about a light frost. Best of luck this season.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks - I'm sure they'll be fine. I really want to get some photos in now to 'spice up' the thread a little, and I should be able to do that on Monday - not too many, as it'll get overwhelming, but just enough to show the general state of affairs...:)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
We went out to the growspot today to check on any frost damage that might have occurred - needn't have worried - they were all fine. At least no frost damage anyway - the latest Cocoa Kush was in a sorry state though, as it looks like it's been sat on for a night by a deer, as had the Hashberry, though that wasn't as badly squashed - Grape Krush untouched.

But that Cocoa Kush may not make it as many leaves had died - these three new ones were much smaller than the rest, and are more in the open too - I think we may have put them just too close to the deer party-zone! Still, this is why we put out so many, and there's still more to go out yet.

As for the rest, all fine, except I'd like some of the smaller ones to get moving - they're all healthy, but just seem a little slow to get growing. May be the bracken doing it's deadly work, or may be just that I'm really impatient - we shall see. But so far, so good...

Ulysses

I hope the Cocoa Kush recovers swiftly... I'm really looking forward to some outdoor pics as I don't think anyone else has had the cajones to run this strain outdoors! Get some jugs of pee near those plants!!! Buy your mates a pint or two and ask them to help out!!!

I was hoping you guys would be able to side step the lousy weather- my Highland Mex x BB haven't really grown in the last two weeks it seems- rain rain rain here on soaking wet medium with water chrystals argh!

Sending some karma, stamina, and some sunny warmth toward your outdoor efforts Eman!

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Ulysses - I'm cheering the fact that we're getting some rain this weekend - it's been dry here for over three weeks now, and I think some of them could do with more - they're all sprouting new leaves, but not as fast as I'd like. Both the healthy Cocoas have turned really dark purple - probably from the cooler nights, but I've noticed a lot of DJ Short strains, Flo in particular, have really dark red/magenta growing tips - outdoors they're dark purple and look really nice.

I should have a camera by Monday, so I'll try and get out there and grab some pics before the bracken gets too high - it's growing fast now!

PAGreen

Man, mad props to you EL. I love the world we are living in when you can post your patch. Keep up the good work. Peace.

smokeymacpot

Veteran
Elevator Man said:
Ulysses - I'm cheering the fact that we're getting some rain this weekend - it's been dry here for over three weeks now, and I think some of them could do with more - they're all sprouting new leaves, but not as fast as I'd like. Both the healthy Cocoas have turned really dark purple - probably from the cooler nights, but I've noticed a lot of DJ Short strains, Flo in particular, have really dark red/magenta growing tips - outdoors they're dark purple and look really nice.

I should have a camera by Monday, so I'll try and get out there and grab some pics before the bracken gets too high - it's growing fast now!

so are the nettles!!! upto my waist, a couple of weeks ago they werent even noticeable!! i got stung alot :badday:

leb27 3-4weeks left maybe?

the rest got eaten :(

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks folks - I just heard it's going to absolutely piss it down on Sunday and Monday, which is great news indeed.

smokeymacpot - are you in OZ? Just wondering how you're managing to chop a Leb 27 outdoors already...?

smokeymacpot

Veteran
Elevator Man said:
Thanks folks - I just heard it's going to absolutely piss it down on Sunday and Monday, which is great news indeed.

smokeymacpot - are you in OZ? Just wondering how you're managing to chop a Leb 27 outdoors already...?

started middle of feb, started flowering under 24/0 and got put outside where its still going, im same country as you ;)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks - Google Earth rocks for this kind of thing.

I just got the camera back, so I can take some new pics of the plants in place this week. Even better news - it's finally raining at last! It's been over four weeks since it rained here - I'm in one of the drier parts of the UK, but it's been ridiculous lately. But we should be OK for a while now.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Well it's absolutely pissed it down for the last 24 hours - finally stopped, but should be a little more next week. But that lot should have saved me some watering work for several weeks at least, so I'm happy...;)

Here's the next batch of hopefuls watching the rain - Mikado top left, green Flo top right, and two phenos of British Hempire's Purple Afghan (from seed) at bottom - I'm almost certain the one on the right is female, the one on the left is still pending, but I'm going to risk planting it out anyway:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Fifth Planting, 2nd June

Fifth Planting, 2nd June

I visited the garden yesterday and today - I was planning to plant some out yesterday, but a friend visited, and we decided to go for a hike after checking the plants, and I couldn't be bothered to carry everything for the rest of the day! However, I did get some photos. So today I came back and planted the four new ones.

The bad news is the third, smaller Cocoa Kush is dead - this is the one that got sat on by a deer, or similar. It's completely brown, so I pulled it - I'll update the map later.. The rest are fine - one or two have a few injuries, again, probably due to deer, but nothing serious. One or two also have some slug damage after the rains, so I put out more of the (safe) pellets.

It might be worth referring to the maps here, if anyone cares about locations. So here's a couple of the larger plants from patch 1 - both Skunk X Flo (Funk) - first the one right of centre in the plan, in front of the small tree, then the larger one (about two feet) right at the top of the patch:

And now for patch 2, so far not featured. This is a smaller area, roughly triangular, and on steeper ground. There's not as much space to work here, but it's much more private, and has better sun coverage too, due to the extra height. It's surrounded by hawthorn trees, which also make a handy 'den' at the top of the patch (entrance visible in second pic next to plant), where we can see all the plants, and hide ourselves and the equipment whilst we're working,

So here's the back row of patch 2, first from the right, and then from the left. There are four plants along the treeline, and then two more in front. They are actually all in the first pic, but the bracken is already obscuring them nicely!

Now here's one of Esbe's plants, but I don't currently have the list, so not sure which! Then two Skunk X Flo, and finally another Early Special (I think):

Today I planted two of British Hempire's Purple Afghans - so far unsexed, but I think they're female - a green Flo, and the strawberry Mikado pheno. It's raining now which is great, but it does mean more slugs, and will also possibly wash away my 'deer repellent' (piss), so might have to pay another visit soon. Can't publish too many pics, as the JPEG compression is lousy on bracken, etc., meaning larger files, but I'll try and post significant shots where possible.

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
More rain...

More rain...

It's pissing it down again, which means I don't have to water again for weeks now! Incidentally, one plant was so swollen with the crystals yesterday that it was beginning to push out of the ground slightly, so had to scrape some away - it was leaking out of the ground like some evil jelly monster...:)

Latest posts

Latest posts