What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Elevator in the Forest

G

Hey just seen this EM??

Much luck on the outdoor venture buddy!!
Hey them THAI are still NOT flowering yet?
HUGE had to top at 4 foot each right now,
and its been 7o something days?
Another thing SPRING is comming fast and light hours longer.......
Got some clones,but i think im gonna finish them indoors!!!!!!!!!!!
ill get more pics soon....

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Thanks man - I'm getting all geared up now, though I wish I had your sunshine - would improve matters a little! As for the Thais, well, I guess that's what they do eh? Would love to see more pics though. I'm thinking of sticking one outdoors just for fun - it wouldn't finish, but it would look great, and could produce enough clones to supply half the town, should they wish to give it a go...:chin:

el i grow in the forest to ... alot like that one lol... watch out for rabbits and deer coz they will munch the fuck out of the plants ! ...

the best place to grow is in a natural inclosure cut a oval in the middle long end facing pure south and grow in a group and the back /..

cutting your area also means you can line the trees with camo and rabbit netting (metal chicken wire)... keep them fuckers out !!!

im gona try the early harvesting early girl this year i think ... atm im just starting some (skunk 1 x northen lights) X g13 : ).. inside for inside only... need to harvest outside for middle to late sept

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Funny you mention that, as I've never seen a rabbit there in a year - I don't think there are any in this place. There's no grass for them to eat really - just bracken, bilberry bushes, gorse and hawthorn trees - not great fun for rabbits. Also the soil isn't sandy enough for them to burrow into - I think they'd just get stuck...:)

Deer are more of an issue, though they didn't eat any last time. They trod/sat on a few, but they survived OK. It's not really possible to leave chicken-wire, etc. out there as it's public land, and it could easily get discovered at this time of year before the bracken grows up. Also I'm wary of injuring or even entangling deer, as it'll get noticed. Much of the land is managed by a wildlife trust, and there are folks out there keeping an eye on things. If the deer are regularly spooked or in the wrong places, someone will notice pretty soon, so I want to try the least invasive method possible - make friends with them...:)

Buddle

Veteran
Hey EM, Thank you for your reply.I have always liked DJ's gear. I admire your tenacity and willingness to share your findings with us..BL

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Going out to dump another pile of soil this afternoon, so will report back later, assuming nothing untoward happens! :)

Ulysses

Damn, I got two holes done yesterday evening... I'm doing a mini-Ulysses in the Forest! Hehehe...

Outdoor is alot of work! I think I could have dug out an underground bunker by now...

My holes are soggy! Argh! I have already mixed water chrystals in my soil and have it on site!!! Shite!!!

Deer sign everywhere as well...

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Well - we managed to do another eleven holes in patch 2 today, which makes 28 so far in both patches. I reckon another ten or so should do it - there's still room in patch 2. And there's still the big, open hillside to stick a few more in later on - maybe late May. These will be more exposed, and be more visible (as will we digging!) so there's no point rushing on those.

We're not going crazy though - dig a foot-deep hole, throw away the top six inches of bracken mulch, roots and stones, pile the good soil to one side, fill in the hole with our soil mix, and then mix back in the good native soil with a fork, stick a clothes-peg in to mark it, and then put dead bracken back around to cover up the (very dark) work-circle - easy. It only took a an hour to do those, so one more session in a few days should see the main patches complete.

My friends are doing a clone run in about a week, as soon as the seedplants are sexed - I'll put up a final list closer to the day, as I honestly haven't a clue yet. I have several clone-plants around eight inches tall now, all with woody, mature stems, and very many branches - they'll be a foot tall in a couple of weeks, and I think I'll just plant those straight out 'as is'. Then when it's warmed up a little more, I'll take out more delicate clones. Next time I go to patch 2 I'll take some pics so folks can see the rough layout.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I took out another 50 litres of soil mix today, and prepared ten more holes - six in patch 1, and four in patch 2. That makes 23 in patch 1, and 15 in patch 2, so I think a few more in patch 2 should do it for now. There's plenty more space out on the exposed hill (much more than I've prepared so far), but I want to wait until the native vegetation grows back a bit before tackling that, as there's more chance of me being seen, and also I can't hold that many plants in storage!

Actually I had a nervy moment today - I just arrived at patch 2, which is higher than patch 1, and affords a better view of the valley and hillside opposite - as I entered, I thought I saw someone on the opposite hilltop and stopped immediately - usual precaution. They seemed to be walking really slowly, so I didn't want to jump around - if I'd seen them, they could see me, though they were very high-vis, and I was in my usual greens and browns.

I slowly walked down below the treeline and dumped my stuff, and carefully walked back up the hill to take another look. The opposite hilltop is a good half-mile away, and I hadn't brought my binoculars, so it was diffcult to be sure what they were doing, as they barely seemed to be moving. At one point I thought it could just be a sign I'd never noticed, but then 'it' definitely moved again.

Now I'm not the paranoid sort, and the chances of them watching me through binoculars was minimal I guess, but it's just the thing to get the old heart pumping. Could have been a walker, but could have also been the local farmer, and they're more of an issue. In the end I decided to just get on with it and get out of there, rather than hanging around with half a rucksack of soil and then finding out someone was watching me!

Anyway, there's not much more to do now apart from one more digging session and then wait for the days to get a little longer. I'm not too worried about frost there, as it's very sheltered - last year's plants got no frost damage before harvest, so I don't think the other end of the year will be much different. However, these are young, less robust plants, so I don't want to torture them either.

I think April 21st is about right to start introducing the more hardy strains, and then spend the following five weeks getting as many more plants ready and planted as possible.

Last edited:

WAMEN

Joint Date: Today.
Veteran
Good Luck EM . Looks like you are very well organized. Way to go :yes:

Ill be checking later on for sure.. be well :wave:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Good to see you Wamen, and thanks for the kind comments. Nice to know I've got quality backup, should I need it...:)

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
A really nice grow spot there mate, I am planning a similar one, amongst bracken where I had success with Hollands Hoop a couple of times before. I am still not dead yet BTW, but the killer bracken will try muscling your babes out of the way in no time at all, I visit max 3 days apart....and have still managed to loose plants to/in it.

I wish you the very best of luck, your varieties are a bit Indoor-ish IMHO, even here in Spain I lost most of my chunky K2 and a lot of other fat indica dominated buds went the same way. Neem oil helps keep bugs off, handy, but lifesaving when you see the damaged buds are always the first to rot.

For the UK this year I will concentrate on Easy Sativa [femaleseeds.nl] as it finishes reliably in mid sept. I may try a cheeky cross with Quick Mist to try and find a feisty early outdoor girl. Swazi and Powerplant have done very well outside in the UK too, Sativa buds just do not hold the moisture like Indicas.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
ChaosCatalunya - Hey, that does look like my spot. It had better not be my spot...:)

Yeah, I know a lot of the strains might not finish, but in a way I need to satisfy myself on some of those - it's well-protected from frost in this spot, so I'll get a week or two extra I think. Also the cloning potential of large bushes is just too mush to resist. I may even put out an Oaxacan Gold and a Thai or two, as I could go and hack off a branch every week to give to someone else for growing indoors...

I nearly blow my heart taking 30l of dirt out. more power to ya with the 50l.
little j - it's not that bad really - only like slinging a large bag of Canna Pro on your back, and in a good rucksack, that's fine. There's some coco in there, perlite and clay pebbles too, so it's not as heavy as pure soil would be. I'm relying on the existing soil to add the bulk to the mix, as it's quite good when you can actually reach it! Also, and this is quite important, it's only a 15-min hike to my spot from the bus-stop, so I can afford to pack as much in as possible - I'm quite a fit fellow...:)

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
:lurk: whats up elevator man, i hope you dont mind me pulling up a seat and sticking around to the end. very in depth thread so far and the beans havent even popped, signs of good things to come, good luck on the grow.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Not at all - good to have you around. Many of the beans have popped now, they're just growing out rapidly indoors. Also a lot of the planting stock is at my friend's place, so in a few weeks it will all be coming together rapidly. I'm tempted to put one or two out quite soon to be honest - they're very mature, bushy clones with quite woody stems now, and the frost is going to be minimal where I am from now on, I'm reckoning.