What's new

Electronic ballasts?

Ninja420

Looking for quality elecronic ballasts. I'm looking at the galaxy, next gen, and quantum. Does anyone have advice or experiences with these.

Thanks,
Ninja

C

CANNATOPIA

Have you tried or looked at Lumatek? I use them & they work Great for me. Good luck in your search.

humble1

crazaer at overgrow 2.0
ICMag Donor
Veteran
next gen is a pita to get replaced or fixed if you have any problems with'em. I've got quantum and a lumatek i'm happy with right now.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Love my Quantums, the grow shops tell me they get 9 Lumateks back for every quantum they get back. The fans in the Quantums do help them stay cooler!

Last edited:

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Love my Quantums, the grow shops tell me they get 9 Lumateks back for every quantum they get back. The fans in the Quantums do help them stay cooler!

Am friends with Jason & Dawn that own Lumatek ....

So sorry to say but u are correct the return rate on Lumatek is totally unacceptable & thats from one of the largest retail store owners in central NorCal (in oakland) . They have to return them on pallets of 50 before Lumatek will take them back & he says about 2 out of 10 he sells are returned for malfunction .

Go with the Quantum switchable , have many & all functioning perfectly from day one . Couldn't say that about Lumateks...as much as i like Dawn & jason.

*** And absolutely go with ---->SunLight Supply hoods, they use a higher quality aluminum than Hydrofarms , (worst choice, imo, far to heavy & made in china ) the SuperSun is still one of the best footprints & easiest to install hoods out there , they make the best reflectors in the biz. Top quality German mirrored/pebbled aluminum for the best reflectivity & even light distribution :

Sunlight Suppy "SuperSun" ...(also make Galaxy Ballasts)
supersun.jpg

i run a lumatek and a next gen and both work great!!!! next gen runs cooler than lumitek!!! i wouldnt trust the off name brands!!!!! they have a shiney outside but the guts are garbage!!!!!!!

C

Cheeb

Rock Lumateks here, but look into the Hydrofarm Phantom. I have 1 of them and its nice!

12 - Lumatek 600w 240v only units and never had a problem. Wouldn't trade them for anything.

4 - Lumatek 1000w Dimmable 120/240v - so far so good.

Sealed and silent are the only options I'd consider. Eff Fans!

I say Lumatek is a sure win if you run at 240v. I think most problems with them are when ran at 120v...especially when placed in hot rooms.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
Rock Lumateks here, but look into the Hydrofarm Phantom. I have 1 of them and its nice!

12 - Lumatek 600w 240v only units and never had a problem. Wouldn't trade them for anything.

4 - Lumatek 1000w Dimmable 120/240v - so far so good.

Sealed and silent are the only options I'd consider. Eff Fans!

I say Lumatek is a sure win if you run at 240v. I think most problems with them are when ran at 120v...especially when placed in hot rooms.

Hey ya know what might fix that overheating/high failure rate? ;)

Now if we can just get a digi ballast that dims itself with a thermostat we could all sleep easier, amirite?

bu11dog

Some good info, thanks, but I'm wondering whether electronic ballasts are safe to use now, re: electromagnetic disturbance to neighbour's satellite/radio, etc?

Thanks

Peace

FatBlunt420

Killin' Zombies!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ive had to return a galaxy before. one out of 4 was constantly flickering.
quantums are really good... and Advanced Nutrients makes ballasts now. called bad ass ballast. EVERYONE check them out. they have a 7 year warrentee. which is twice as much as all these other companies.
BaddAssBallasts_091409.jpg

C

CANNATOPIA

Some good info, thanks, but I'm wondering whether electronic ballasts are safe to use now, re: electromagnetic disturbance to neighbour's satellite/radio, etc?

Thanks

Peace
I don't think this is entirely true friend. I have a lot of wireless devices & never does my Ballast interfere with them let alone my neighbors.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
AN does look like they're coming out with this new ballast , " Bad Ass" ...perfect choice of names for them . I'm seeing a more Quantum/Lumatek design than that squarish pic above that some posted on another forum .

In reading their Science facts page , lots of great hype , lower frequency /lower heat,
so lets see if they really test out :
http://www.advancednutrients.com/hydroponics/products/baddass_ballasts/baddass_ballasts_science.php

Also sure they are going to cost a pretty penny, some are saying $350-$390 ...but thats not too much of a premium cause anything AN makes is guaranteed to grow 50% more yield & quality than anyone else! ;)

Love to read AN's hype...all Japanese components carefully assembled in China , lol :

BULLETPROOF SPACE-AGE ELECTRONICS AND STEALTH TECHNOLOGY GIVE YOU PEACE OF MIND

More important than anything else, a digital ballast has to have top-gun electrical components as its heart and soul. Reliability and performance are key elements of whether digital ballast is small, safe to operate, low heat, quiet, and energy efficient. These factors are controlled by the electronics inside the ballast housing.

That’s why we insisted on none other than famous Japanese components for BADDASS BALLASTS™. The same reason Sony and all other famous electronics are made in Japan is why we had all our ballast electronics made in Japan so you can absolutely rely on them as state of the art, utterly reliable and rock solid. These folks are the Mercedes Benz of electronics components makers.

The next important part of the story is your grow security and household are the most valuable things you have, and so we use high-tech Faraday Shield technology and other internal features to totally eliminate RF and to bring heat transfer down to almost zero.

Faraday Shields and other internal manufacturing techniques completely isolate BADDASS BALLASTS™ circuitry from the outside world, so RF and heat are not a problem for you. This means that no radio waves, sudden spikes of electricity or heat are generated or transferred from your BADDASS BALLAST™. That’s why growers using the BADDASS BALLASTS™ describe them as “the ultimate stealth units.”

growshopfrank

Veteran
ive had to return a galaxy before. one out of 4 was constantly flickering.
quantums are really good... and Advanced Nutrients makes ballasts now. called bad ass ballast. EVERYONE check them out. they have a 7 year warrentee. which is twice as much as all these other companies.
BaddAssBallasts_091409.jpg
I cant wait for the supplements