What's new

Electricity Help

Big Brother

Lighting ?

Lighting ?

I have see outside grower use what is known as whisper generator and they put a 2000-2500 watt and cost a little bit and but worth it, also you might wish to think about solar panel and with a solar battery, With generator you can run 1000 watt light and what called growi a sea of green, so if you had a 2000 watt it would run your light and all the grow electrics,

Y

yamaha_1fan

famous said:
is this the right breaker to add to the main panel?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=12378-1318-Q240&bc=c

black wire goes to the breaker, white wire goes to neutral bar in main box, and ground wire goes to ground bar in main box?

That would work if you wanted 220 out at the box in the shed which you said you dont want. The breaker you linked to would require 2 hots, a neutral, and a ground. I guess you could just use one side of the breaker but that seems pointless.

If you are running 2 wires with a ground, get a single pole breaker.

Make sure your breaker is from the same manufacturer of the panel. some may cross over but some dont.

Also on the siemens, pull an old breaker out and check the slot that is on the breaker that snaps onto the panel. There are 2 different styles, that look the same. One has a longer slot. My panel has the longer tabs and the short slotted breaker would not fit.

Take a breaker with you. It just pops out and you disconnect one wire.

famous

i was told in a previous post to just hook up one hot wire to teh breaker...they dont make 40a single pole breakers i thought?

Thanks for the heads up about 2 different styles!

Y

yamaha_1fan

I thought about it and they probably dont make 40AMP single pole. If Ty told you 1 wire on a double pole breaker, then you should be good to go. Just dont try to split the wire and put it on both sides of the breaker. Either side will be fine but just one side.

But as a Siemens owner, I can assure you to check those slots. The damn breaker would not go in and I kept trying. Then I finally looked at the old breaker and the new breaker and saw the difference.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
Big Brother said:
I have see outside grower use what is known as whisper generator and they put a 2000-2500 watt and cost a little bit and but worth it, also you might wish to think about solar panel and with a solar battery, With generator you can run 1000 watt light and what called growi a sea of green, so if you had a 2000 watt it would run your light and all the grow electrics,

Those whisper generators are great and they come in powers of up to 500 kilowatts I believe. Also they are diesel and run at 1800 rpm's. These are the only types that should be used when the generator is to be used for long runs such as growing.

Solar and batteries are not a viable option for growing and people recommend them all the time. I am not saying you are wrong, because on paper it would work, but to set up a system to use them would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. They just don't produce enough power with todays technology. Wind also would work, but the same, you would need major money to produce enough power for even a few 1000 watters.

TGT

famous

a generator is out of the question

anyone confirm that hooking up 1 black wire to a double 40amp poll, it will stil function/work for 40a?

famous

dont back out on me now guys, im about to do this!
1 black wire to a double poll breaker...the breaker still handles 40a, and will function 100%?
Thanks!

G

I don't recall saying one wire on a 40A Double Pole as that DP would be 240V and uses 2 Hot wires for the 240V circuit. If there are any 40A single poles out there I haven't seen one yet. That is not to say that someone never made such a dog.

Ty-Stik

Y

yamaha_1fan

Ty-Stik said:
I don't recall saying one wire on a 40A Double Pole as that DP would be 240V and uses 2 Hot wires for the 240V circuit. If there are any 40A single poles out there I haven't seen one yet. That is not to say that someone never made such a dog.

Ty-Stik

Ty, if you just connected to one side of the breaker, wouldnt that give you 120? The breaker is connected to both lugs but if only one side is utilized, that should give you 120? The two hots are not merged together inside the breaker are they?

Remember he is only trying to get 120, not 240

Now that I think about it, I wonder how you are going to connect the sub panel. You need a hot to feed each lug or each side of the panel. How is he going to feed both sides with one hot?

famous

so its an 8/3 wire i need then?
even if i run 8/3 out there, i hook up black and red to the breaker, white to the neutral, and ground to the ground, and the same thing once i get out to the panel. Then i can 120, and have 2 hots going to the the shed so i could still run 240 later?

does that make sense?

G

Yes.

Don't forget to establish a ground at the panel by driving a grounding rod outside near the the sub panel using #6 awg bare wire and an approved mechanical clamp to secure it to the rod. The folks at Lowe's will know the parts you will need, sub panel, breakers, wire, rod and clamp, romex connectors.

The job you are going to be doing is straight forward and an easy task. No need to complicate it.

famous

and when they ask the 19 yr old why he needs all this electrical equipment, whats the best answer to that? i've tried to restrain from asking for much help from the store.

you're saying i have to establish a ground at the subpanel? the ground run from the main box isnt enough?

why is this the first time its been mentioned, even in the online tutorials?

lowes doesnt sell 6awg wire anyways, i think they only go to 10 or 12

G

famous said:
and when they ask the 19 yr old why he needs all this electrical equipment, whats the best answer to that? i've tried to restrain from asking for much help from the store.

you're saying i have to establish a ground at the subpanel? the ground run from the main box isnt enough?

why is this the first time its been mentioned, even in the online tutorials?

lowes doesnt sell 6awg wire anyways, i think they only go to 10 or 12

Even a 19 yo could have a work shop with perhaps lapidary saws, drill press, welder, or air compressor and need wiring advise.

Regarding the sub panel/ground, there have been some changes in the NEC for 2008 and I recommend that you go to:

www.electrical-online.com/Subpanelinstallation.htm for a very clear tutorial on this subject.

You never searched the keywords: "subpanel ground rod location and installation",-------- thats why you didn't see the tutorials. In closing it makes the electrical inspector smile when he sees a distant sub panel with its own grounding rod.

You are on your own, good luck

:wave:

Y

yamaha_1fan

I believe those grounding rods are pretty long. Good luck driving it in the ground.

Wasnt someone telling you to run 220 to begin with :)

famous

if i have inspectors come to th eproperty, i think a ground bar will be the least of his worries...

thanks yamaha, i'll be running an 8-3.

G

yamaha_1fan said:
I believe those grounding rods are pretty long. Good luck driving it in the ground.

Lowes, Home Depot and tool rental outfits have t-post drivers, works on rods too as long as the ground is not saturated with large rocks.

famous

i was waiting for my grow to finish...
its hanging in the shed, and i want it in jars before i start remodeling the room.

Its coming along, i wanted to make sure i had all my facts straight.

and im not installing a ground rod

Latest posts

Latest posts