What's new

Electrician

Danks2005

I do miss it. A lot. Now my back dictates what I can and can't do, and it sucks. But I am very happy being a farmer. But I do miss the adrenaline rush you get from time to time at work (the heights, high voltage, accomplishing the impossible). It really is a fantastic profession. How about walking through a 60,000V switchyard and your hair stands up on your arms. Or, energizing that 13800:480 transforme for the first time(or any new high power switchgear). I absolutely love trimming out a fancy smancy control cabinet. Plus all the other trademen, like to talk about what they do. You can get a lot of info on HVAC, Plumbing, Sheetmetal, ect...

Sparkjumper, that's why I like being an electrician so much. Your title stays the same, but every job is different, always changing, always advancing.

I

Iron_Lion

Teeg420, just remember, everything is fun til you do it everyday. I was a licensed professional in this trade, after 8 years i just got burnt out. The part that killed me was the shitty contractors in the area there are to work for and the push to always be on the road away from home.

The pay scale can go very high, but not everyone gets the privilege to get that high wage, it really depends on the area and the job you are doing. I know for me being non union I wasnt getting paid huge money, it was enough to live comfortably but you will fuckin work for it. The trade just isnt what was even ten years ago, the is a serious shortage of apprentices these days because kids dont want to bother with this shit anymore, they just want to go to college so they can party longer. It used to be one J-man with one apprentice every day, more often then not I'd be busting my balls by myself everyday. When the economy slows down the employer cracks the whip harder, or even when the contractor fucks up and under bids, the whip gets cracked on your ass because no way are they going to take a pay cut. Now after 8 years I find myself without a job and the work in the field is slim. Im actually considering a career change because shit in my area is just dead, too much industry left the area.

Things are different everywhere, and there are many facets of this trade, just be prepared for some seriously shitty days, shitty work environments ( like shit filled sewers, shit processing plants, giant shit tanks etc..) sometimes hotter then hell in some dirty factory, crawling around in some dusty attic, a very far cry from what you see in tv commercials for trade schools.

But like I said this just my experience, others will differ, different areas will run differently, union to non union is very different.

If I had to do it all over again or give advice on this subject, I'd say go into the medical field, better pay, better work environment, better benefits, more vacation time and it takes less of a toll on the body. One thing I can say honestly is I never really met too many old electricians, this always worried me.

Danks2005

Working next to a boiler in a powerhouse, in the summer, with long sleaves, jeans, boots, gloves, respirator, safety glasses, and earplugs, and it 130 degrees. Makes for a pretty shitty day.

T

Teeg420

Yea I just took the aptitude test today! Damn the test went quick, the math wasn't too bad except the shit questions asking does this equation equal that equation. Reading comprehension wasn't so bad either, the test went by quick. Will see what happens, I read on leccy forums some dudes wait up to 1.5 years I don't think I can wait that long. Might have to start selling your pretty cosmetics LOL!

One thing I can already tell I will not be stoked about is all the damn driving, I spent 2 hours in the car just trying to get home on a weekend day. Damn tourists trying to get to the beach and enjoy the clean fresh air.

S

sparkjumper

Dont forget Tom Henry workbooks and a code class at around 4 years,even if you go through the best apprenticeship program in the country when you look at that journeymans test you'll be like what the fuck is all this!Seriously

T

Teeg420

Thanks spark! I will remember to grab those books thanks again guys for all good and bad stories. When I call in 3 weeks to find out how I ranked i'll update thanks again!

T

Teeg420

Just got the letter passed the aptitude test! Now Im waiting for another letter with a date for the oral interview with the panel. Probably like another 4 weeks until I hear from them then piss test, damn that's going to suck no weed for a month.

Thanks again guys for all the insight.

T

Teeg420

Thanks Omountainmix! Yea thats what im gonna do, I use the herb for pain management in my shoulder, would rather not use vicodin, or other opiates.

S

sparkjumper

Calling vicodin an opiate is like saying I have a huge weiner..ughh thats not right..Like calling a pussy cat a lion..yea thats it lol

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
man i need an electrician ASAP in the bay area!! teeg where you located come help me install a new subpanel!

the Rock

the only problem with being a union sparky in the bay area you CANNOT solicit work which means you gotta wait un the list and right now its a long fn wait. I am in a diff trade where we can solicit and I havent missed a day of work in 22 years(local 104) I know some talented elec. who have been on the list since last sept.

the Rock

and also seeing alot of electrical scab shops springing up=hiring cheap wetback labor off the street doing commercial and heavy industrial work,bay area electicians local is getting weak=they should be torching the scab shops,like my local did in the late 80s and early 90s =no non union shops in my trade zero

T

Teeg420

Yea I am not looking to work 24/7 just want an education in electrical, have already ran my own sub panel for my grow.

I like growing so much I felt is a step in the right direction, plus to have money on paper looks good when trying to rent a place in the future.

It was either hvac, electrical or go back to school for horticulture, or botany. I am happy with the decision, and yea your not supposed to solicit work, but if it were for a friend I wouldn't have an issue shh! don't tell anyone in the hall.

Yo prop take some pics of your panel and post lots of sparkys on the forum and its pretty simple shit to do, if you can use a screw driver and strip wire and not a complete idiot you can do it yourself. Just turn the power off at the main panel before working on anything.

How many lights you trying to run prop? Also need to know if your main panel has any available slots so you can add your new circuit for the sub panel.

Are you in the hvac field rock? if so not a bad trade from what I hear, talked to a buddy who is a mason says the hvac guys kill it in place like Arizona.

G

guest456mpy

Have E.E. degrees, USAF training and experience and am a Felllow IEEE.
I landed a "dream job" 40 years ago working at a major medical university that is like a city itself. Worked on electron microscopes, cyclotrons, accelerators etc and had total tenure and job security. Like so many who have posted before me, I could not wait to get to work each day.

Reach for the stars....

T

Teeg420

Just got the letter for the Interview, pretty happy. I have been bbq some tri tip and sipping on coronas on this fine day by the beach. This has been a long process, and it still could be a couple months to a year before they even decide to hire me.

Oh well thank god I got weed and and enough to keep me stoned until they decide if they want me. Called up and asked about the drug test and they said you take it once they decide to hire you, right before orientation.

Thanks again guys for all the insight, off to go take a couple b loads of some chem!

T

Teeg420

YoYo thought I would throw an update incase if anyone was interested!

Took to oral interview today, wasn't too bad. I thought I did well but when I look back I can see that there were a couple questions I could have answered more fully. Hindsight is always 20/20.

When someone shaker your hand and doesn't look you in the eye possibly they stare at the ground, would you take that as a bad sign? 2 of 3 gentleman looked my in the eye and shook my hand, but the 3rd looked at the ground. Even if he didn't see I was fit for the job he should still grant me the respect or decency to look me in the eye when shaking my hand, am I wrong or right?

BTW this was upon exiting the interview when I thought I had a good feeling that I just kicked this interviews ass.

In order to reward myself stopped by the club since it was 2 miles down the road and grabbed a couple of packs of seeds, some ChemKush and OG Fire and a gram of the Pre 98 Bubba, ahh I just love the coffee dankness.

Peace guys and thanks for viewing my stoned rants.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Glad to see things are still rolling along for you. On the third guy - some people are just introverted and feel uncomfortable in a situation like that. Having interviewed lots of people over the years, I can tell you that I never did get comfortable with it. Trying to weed out the bullshitters who fly through interviews vs. finding the gems that don't interview well but would do a great job is difficult and frustrating. Keep plugging!

and also seeing alot of electrical scab shops springing up=hiring cheap wetback labor off the street doing commercial and heavy industrial work,bay area electicians local is getting weak=they should be torching the scab shops,like my local did in the late 80s and early 90s =no non union shops in my trade zero

Great idea. Burn them out.