What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

electric help converter from 240 to 120

E

easyrasta

back in the day, this guy had a box that had six 120 outlets. the power for the box was usually the dryer plug. somehow the box converted the 240 to 120. are these boxes readily available or was i just too stoned, lol jk it worked.
peace
ez

Mr Eckted

Yes, 240V is just both live legs from your panel, along with neutral. You should be able to find the part you're looking for at an electrical supply warehouse. It's fairly easy to hook up, but if you're not sure you're doing it right, get help from someone who is.

I

Iron_Lion

30 amp sub panel and a 240v 4wire dryer cord and your in business.

ijim

I think you may be thinking of a relay box.Where you can plug your timed 120volt gear in and have it come on at the same time without pulling to many amps. Most hydro suppliers carry them.

E

easyrasta

I think you may be thinking of a relay box.Where you can plug your timed 120volt gear in and have it come on at the same time without pulling to many amps. Most hydro suppliers carry them.
its not just a relay, it converts 240 to 120

Vegan

Long story short, a four prong dryer plug has two hot (120v each) a neutral and a ground it you wire one hot to the neutral you have 120v if you wire the two hot together you have 240v

pretty much thats it rasta..

220 to 120 is easy ..throw a braker in ther and yer in business,,problem is 6 outlest can pull a lot of amps and trip more than 20 at one time or on a surge and the breaker will start poppin

long story short ..you can only pull 20 amps off 110 breaker which aint much

No, not at all...
30 amp sub panel and a 240v 4wire dryer cord and your in business.
Yes. This is a really good idea. Tho in older construction it could be 3 wire which will be problematic.
Long story short, a four prong dryer plug has two hot (120v each) a neutral and a ground it you wire one hot to the neutral you have 120v if you wire the two hot together you have 240v
Precisely!
pretty much thats it rasta..

220 to 120 is easy ..throw a braker in ther and yer in business,,problem is 6 outlest can pull a lot of amps and trip more than 20 at one time or on a surge and the breaker will start poppin

long story short ..you can only pull 20 amps off 110 breaker which aint much
Totally right, but he's starting with 220v, and said a dryer plug, which should result in 60a@110v. Right?

avant gardener

Veteran
...but he's starting with 220v, and said a dryer plug, which should result in 60a@110v. Right?

nope.
remember the relation: amps=watts/volts.
therefore, when you take out the other phase and reduce to 110, you cut the amps that breaker can handle in half also. that's the reason you'd want 220 in the first place.

for instance, a 1000watt lamp draws 9 amps off of a circuit at 110. that same lamp wired for 220 will use only 4.5 amps.

dragunn

powerbox makes a 6 outlet box.240 volts in/120 out.has a built in timer or you can use trigger cord.also can convert 2 outlets to allways on.just plug into 30 amp dryer outlet.

nope.
remember the relation: amps=watts/volts.
therefore, when you take out the other phase and reduce to 110, you cut the amps that breaker can handle in half also. that's the reason you'd want 220 in the first place.

for instance, a 1000watt lamp draws 9 amps off of a circuit at 110. that same lamp wired for 220 will use only 4.5 amps.
I missed this post months back, whoops!

30A @ 240V = 7200W. 30A x 2 @ 120V = 7200W. One would be better off running dual 20A @ 120V breakers tho, due to receptacle sizing. The issue then becomes the neutral/ground situation. The existing 30A neutral could handle dual 15A@120V breakers without a double, and likely could handle dual 20A, but I'd strongly imagine that is not to code.

Latest posts

Latest posts