What's new

Electric Buffalo – (Blue Thunder x Great White Buffalo)

44:86N

In advance, apologies for the poor-quality pics. I never thought I’d be posting about this strain on an international forum.

Electric Buffalo 2016 9.JPG

The Spread, Electric Buffalo, 2016

“Electric Buffalo,” is a home-grown strain, a slow-moving work in progress. Here, I will chronical her story and the results of the breeding project I have and will (slowly) be working on.

In 2010, a friend, Noma, who I had been hooking up with some of my extra guerrilla grow flowers, went ahead and got a prescription for medical marijuana. I can honestly say that Noma had legitimate reasons for that ‘script, and she named me as her caregiver. This was in the early days of MI Medical, and everything still felt very new, and still just a little dicey.

Noma had another friend, an indoor grower who she also was supplied by pre-medical, Bruce, who was actually in the process of shutting down his operation when I was cranking mine up. One day he stopped by the greenhouses with some presents – several different clones, including one that was “Blue Thunder.” I can’t even remember what else he dropped off. Everything was eclipsed by that “Blue Thunder.”

This “Blue Thunder” originally came from another grower, down in East Lansing. Bruce referred to him as The Pot Nazi, because “he could remember every bowl or joint he ever smoked.” Bruce also told me that this particular clone was the best of 72 plants. And let me tell you, this plant was amazing, the only real issue being it got really tall, like tripling in size during flowering. And it was NOT due to a lanky stretch – that momma threw out the flowers. Huge, dense, heavy spears. Easy 200 grams per plant under a 600 watt, though eventually the lamp needed to be hung sideways.

“Blue Thunder” is, of course, Sagamartha’s work, being his “Matanuska Tundra” crossed with DJ Short’s “Blueberry.” I’m not sure what plant was the mother (I always list the mother, the seed parent, first when writing out a cross, as per The RHS). This plant leaned towards the sativa phenotype for sure, but if it went full bloom cycle, 10+ weeks, it was pretty sleepy smoke. I found it made a big difference to harvest earlier, late in the 8[SUP]th[/SUP] week. This gave excellent results, and that flower is/was one of my all-time favorites (guess I’m a Pot Nazi, too). In fact, I smoked a friend out at a wedding, and he was instantly, “I want you as my caregiver. This is the kind of weed I want to smoke!”

Noma, however, was having a rough time for various reasons (once again, all legitimate from my perspective – she is, in fact, no longer with us). She just wanted to have some pain relief and go to sleep, as deeply as possible. So, she visited one of the dispensaries that also sold seeds, and bought a pack of New World Seed’s “Great White Buffalo.” I believe this was late 2013. The label, as I remember, classified the strain as 100% indica, with a heavy, sleep-inducing effect. This was correct, except I would add that it had a very marked and pronounced euphoria that hit immediately, but that lasted perhaps 20 minutes, tops, before your eyelids were forced shut.

In terms of phenotype expression, “Great White Buffalo,” across all 10 plants I had germinate, was/is a wide leaf plant with a dominate main stem and light side branching. The flower structure was/is loose, resin production high, the type that is dry to the touch. I think the flowering time I used was 8+ weeks. What was outstanding about this strain was the strength and uniformity of its’ fragrance. An almost sickly-sweet floral bouquet, with perhaps a hint of berries. Way stronger than anything I have ever smelled before. It's impossible for me to say what the lineage of "Great White Buffalo" is, but New World Seeds did have a large, personal collection of landrace varieties that I believe they (a married couple -- I don't know them) collected themselves and then bred with. I have to admit, I've never really run across an indica like "Great White Buffalo."

Co-tangent to my running this batch of “Great White Buffalo,” an individual on probation was due to arrive in a several months to live at my dad’s house (dad's a widower) --- which meant I needed to close up shop, as the greenhouses are on his property and the flowering room in his basement. This was now mid-2014.

I really wanted, at the very least, to have some of those “Blue Thunder” genetics to carry forward, not being able to preserve a mother. And though “Great White Buffalo” was clearly an amazing medical strain, it was not really what I would have used given the choice. But choice meant time, which I did not really have. SO, I let the “GWB” males live, 5 of them, and, not knowing much about this strain, kept 3 of the best-looking males to open pollinate all the ladies in the room. A cool side note to this, is that I still have these F2 seeds (GWB), about 24 nice, fat mature ones. I will eventually get to these, which is cool, since New Worlds Seeds is no longer with us.

After I shut down, Noma moved away, and I really didn’t have a spot to grow indoors, anyway. I told the other guy I was done, but for some reason, he signed me up for another round as his caregiver. So, ok. The person on probation wasn’t really digging living with my dad, so they moved out late 2015. This gave me an opportunity to do a run of the seeds off the “Blue Thunder,” though I wasn’t in the mood to foot a big electric bill at the time.

The first run I did, I started early summer and grew them out completely in a greenhouse that was empty of other plants by early August. I wanted to keep them on the short side and maintain a low profile. I only had one patient, anyway. The down side is all that wonderful UV and intensity gets cut by the 6mil poly, and you don’t get to see the full potential of the plants. This is true with ornamentals, too. The difference in appearance after being outside and well cared for is amazing and highly noticeable to me.

(Blue Thunder x Great White Buffalo) – It is apparent that there is strong indica dominance in this cross, and the “Great White Buffalo” seems to have a lot of influence on the F1. Vigor is good, and plants are heavier feeders. The floral scent characteristic of the “GWB” is also dominant, though not as strong. Resin production is high, with some plants having sticky trichomes, others’ having dry. There appears to be 4 phenotypes; short plant, full main stem flowers with loose structure – tall plant, full main stem flowers with loose structure – tall, widely spaced flowers on main stem with tight structure – short, widely spaced flowers on main stem with decent side branches, tight structure.

The loose flowered phenos tend towards the sleepy, knock-out effects on cured flowers less than 4 months old. After 4 months, the effect is strong, stoney, and somewhat psychedelic, but the sleepy characteristics are gone, unless you smoke too much.

Here's a pic of the taller loose flowered plants. They look a lot like the "GWB"

Electric Buffalo 2016 5.JPG

Electric Buffalo 2016 6.JPG

Electric Buffalo 2016 1.JPG

The phenos with the tighter structure are my favorite, having a good, but not overwhelming stone, with some energy behind it that is also long lasting. The tighter phenos seem to lean a bit more towards their mother.

Electric Buffalo 2016 2.JPG

Electric Buffalo 2016 4.JPG

Electric Buffalo 2016 3.JPG

What I was disappointed by, though, was the fact that under natural day length, up here on the 45[SUP]th[/SUP], this strain matured the first week of November in the greenhouse. In a couple of other runs, this outdoor maturation time was confirmed. Over all, I was pleased with the results, as the psychoactivity was strong in every plant, and some of them were really nice. Though I may be biased, I can say that “Electric Buffalo” has a much more enjoyable and distinctive smoking profile than a lot of what I have sampled from the local medical growers. It gets high reviews from other folks, too.

I did another run in 2020, having several different earlier maturing clones from a friend that I thought might be worth doing some test breeding-runs with.

I started them late spring, grew them outdoors until late September, was able to select 3 different phenos on the males, all heavy bloomers – wide leaf, narrow leaf, and the short bushy pheno (I call Petite).

The Mothers used for the 2020 crosses: “Allen Wrench” - “Durban Poison” (Dutch ver.) - the bag-seed beauty “Dragon Glass” – and a nice clone of Gorilla Glue #4. Results of the Wrench and Durban can be seen in the “Anything Outdoors 2021” topic thread.

All of the “Electric Buffalo” females were also pollinated, for a nice collection of F2 seeds, with all the seeds attributed to their individual mothers. One of these days I will do some work with these, and am looking forward to seeing how they express.

I will also continue to work towards injecting some earliness into these genetics, though I would prefer to use some sativas to try and bring a little more balance to future crosses, while also attempting to maintain the indica lines.

This pic is from the 2020 run:

Electric Buffalo 2020 3.jpg

Thanks for reading this report! Being a work in progress, I hope to be able to continue this thread into the future. Please feel free to make comments, especially if you have breeding advice or knowledge of the strains listed in the line.

Peace and Happy Growing!

Electric Buffalo 2016 8.JPG

Latest posts

Latest posts