What's new

Egg or trichome???

Is this a egg or a sessile capitate trichome or gland of some sort .. it's just weird to me that just 1 or 2 would just be there all by them self thanks in advanced!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170901-194522.jpg
    Screenshot_20170901-194522.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20170902-100808.jpg
    Screenshot_20170902-100808.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20170902-100801.jpg
    Screenshot_20170902-100801.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20170901_193024.jpg
    20170901_193024.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 19

Dog Star

Veteran
Within the last week I've scoped 40-50 leaves probably and havnt found 1 crawler or nothing like that or resembling mites or damage of mites this couldn't just be a pre mature trichome this is on a clone just to let you know

Why then there is no more of this trichomes,just only one trichome
on hole that area??

I dont say this is not possible what you say but for me look in that
your pictures,specialy first one resemble closest to egg object..

its bulbous and i dont see stalk of trichome so i was say
instantly its a egg of some kind.. doesnt need to be mite egg,
there are hundreds species that can lay eggs in this way..

maybe some night moth or else..

buzzmobile

Veteran
Another method to scout for insects is with a sheet of white paper. Hold paper under a branch and shake the branch vigorously above the paper. Inspect the paper afterwards. Look for moving specks.

I think you have pictured an egg.

So I have 2 people that think there eggs and 2 people that think there trichomes so I'm still at the same spot I came in with lol yo7 always get conflicting answers on here ... not that I don't appreciate your guys time on even commenting but still at square 1 with this ... I've scoped so many times and plants it's been hours and havnt seen nothing on other plants there these egg or trichomes but more abundant amount of them.. That's also why I was confused on what it was because there was only 1 or 2 here but still don't know

Absolem

Here is a picture of mite eggs on a leaf. I vote that it is a egg. The black spots around the "egg" in your picture looks like mite feces.

Attachments

• two-spotted-spider-mite-eggs-tetranychus-urticae-on-a-plant-leaf-surface-B9KRRB.jpg
    two-spotted-spider-mite-eggs-tetranychus-urticae-on-a-plant-leaf-surface-B9KRRB.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 23

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
keep the leaf in the same position under the scope, see if it hatches. mite eggs hatch quite quickly. secondly.. you will only need few adult mites to see eggs. but I would imagine you would have seen one by now.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Don't know what it is, but I like macro photography and I do know leaves are often plenty of those ''apparently'' trichomes from few days after the germination.

We just can't see with our eye, but it's pretty normal. With a magnifier, microscope, macro lens, we discover a world under our eyes we never seen before the use of these technologies and often it seems strange, but it's just normal.

Here some mites shots, where can be seen both eggs and various types of trichs if it can be useful to compare sizes, shapes, color etc... :wave:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=41008

picture.php

soundman

keep the leaf in the same position under the scope, see if it hatches. mite eggs hatch quite quickly. secondly.. you will only need few adult mites to see eggs. but I would imagine you would have seen one by now.

I vote egg. I am curious what hatches if you keep an eye on it. I bet mite of some sort.

Scrappy-doo

Mites are not hard to see with the naked eye. If it's been over a week and you've seen no mites or mite damage, it should be pretty obvious what those are. This isn't rocket science here. Seems every few months a thread just like this pops up. Wanna guess what the conclusion almost always is?

Mites are not hard to see with the naked eye. If it's been over a week and you've seen no mites or mite damage, it should be pretty obvious what those are. This isn't rocket science here. Seems every few months a thread just like this pops up. Wanna guess what the conclusion almost always is?

Simply not true. Maybe two spot spider mites can be seen with the naked eye. Broad mites? Pretty much not. Maybe the biggest adults can be detected by movement, but it's super hard to see them. The smallest ones are tough to observe even under 60x magnification. There are tons of different types of mites, and definitely not all are easy to see without mag. On the other hand, if it were broad mites you'd likely see symptoms presenting in the plants. Twisted growth. Weird texture. Clawing thatvlooks like nitrogen toxicity. No joke.

Scrappy-doo

Simply not true. Maybe two spot spider mites can be seen with the naked eye. Broad mites? Pretty much not. Maybe the biggest adults can be detected by movement, but it's super hard to see them. The smallest ones are tough to observe even under 60x magnification. There are tons of different types of mites, and definitely not all are easy to see without mag. On the other hand, if it were broad mites you'd likely see symptoms presenting in the plants. Twisted growth. Weird texture. Clawing thatvlooks like nitrogen toxicity. No joke.

You're reading my post out of context.

No one in this thread is talking about broad mites other than you. They think those are spider mite eggs. My post was about spider mites.

Obviously you need a scope to id broads.

EDIT- Here's another person who mistook sessile trichs for eggs. This is a common question newbies ask. Sessile trichs are part of the anatomy of a leaf. Every leaf has them. If those were mite eggs there would be mites and mite damage which are both fairly easy to spot.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=288078