What's new

Effects of burning/vaping

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Then how come you get higher when you smoke?

I get higher for longer with a gram from vaping and eating the vaped bud afterwards. I don't know the exact numbers, but vaping is way more efficient for me.

lawlrus

There isn't definitive proof, but I think vaporizers are healthier. Smoke has carcinogens. Cannabinoids in the smoke prevent cancer and more than cancel out the damage from the carcinogens. Vaping produces no carcinogens in the first place, so it should help prevent cancer more than smoking.

I'm not worried about smoking at all. When my gf (ex gf? it's complicated) is here, we smoke. I smoke joints at concerts because they're convenient. Overall I prefer the high from vaporizing. Vaporizing comes with a bonus too. I save the vaped bud to make capsules that get me high as fuck for hours at a time. Vaping seems a lot more efficient to me in terms of the amount of high you get per gram.

Can you provide some sources to back this claim up?

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Can you provide some sources to back this claim up?

This is a news story about one of the earlier studies demonstrating that smoking pot doesn't cause cancer. I'd look up the study itself but I'm high at the moment. Dr. Tashkin from the study believes that the anti-cancer effects from cannabinoids cancel out the danger from the carcinogens in the smoke.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html

The anti-cancer / anti-tumor effects of cannabinoids have been demonstrated in hundreds of studies since then. It is my hypothesis that consuming cannabinoids orally or by vaporizing will help to prevent cancer. This is unproven because it hasn't been tested yet.

lawlrus

This is a news story about one of the earlier studies demonstrating that smoking pot doesn't cause cancer. I'd look up the study itself but I'm high at the moment. Dr. Tashkin from the study believes that the anti-cancer effects from cannabinoids cancel out the danger from the carcinogens in the smoke.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html

The anti-cancer / anti-tumor effects of cannabinoids have been demonstrated in hundreds of studies since then. It is my hypothesis that consuming cannabinoids orally or by vaporizing will help to prevent cancer. This is unproven because it hasn't been tested yet.

That's a newspaper article from a decade ago. I was hoping more for a current article from a scientific journal or some other objective and verifiable source.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
I don't agree you do.

I smoked for around 20 years, then switched to vaporizing for the last 15 or so. At first it seemed like something was missing, but we all agreed as we switched over that whats missing is a thick heavy feeling in the chest, a feeling like you actually smoked something. It takes some getting used to not being there, but how it works actually, is vaporizing gets you higher, but smoking gets you lowered, its a very different feeling. And i do smoke still occasionally, smoked a bowl of fine sift on top of GSC bud last night, and it was good, but certainly not getting me higher than vaping the extract from the bud, and stoned in a different way, less cerebral, less "high". Vaporizing is a more pure cleaner stone. Its similar to eating psilocybin, or making tea from them, making tea is like the vapor stone, eating them whole is the smoking stone.

Then you and I disagree, you see. I have used very nice vaporizers and never had the effects, not to mention enjoyment, of smoking. And I personally don't know anybody that would agree with you about enjoying vaporizing more than smoking. I really don't. But hey, it's cool.
I get that this is a "Hurray for Vaping" thread and not a debate as the title implies. Peace

St. Phatty

Once I smoked some Blueberry Hashplant on a Volcano, which I think is a type of vaporizer.

I was disappointed. I was at a cannabis company in Vancouver and this was the guy's grade-A morning smoke.

I knew I would get high if I smoked some regular style.

But I didn't feel much, if anything.

I guess trying vaping once isn't really trying it.

On the other hand, I like msoking pot ! :woohoo:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Then you and I disagree, you see. I have used very nice vaporizers and never had the effects, not to mention enjoyment, of smoking. And I personally don't know anybody that would agree with you about enjoying vaporizing more than smoking. I really don't. But hey, it's cool.
I get that this is a "Hurray for Vaping" thread and not a debate as the title implies. Peace

lol, dont get mad, we just agreed to disagree, all friendly like :)

Hey fellows, i'll contribute with my experience.
it has been proven, as many here say, that smoking anything is bad for your health.
i don't wanna go there to stay on topic with the effects...
I have enjoyed smoking cannabis for more than 15 years, knowing smoking was bad for you, as everybody. :)
then a year ago i switched to vaporizing. it wasn't planned and it happened quite natural.
after a while i got to vaping more and all of a sudden smoking became almost disgusting to me. so i stopped smoking, now i only dab some oil sometimes...

i tried again last week with some friends and a pipe and had a nice time, but the smoke felt too harsh in my throat and tasted like hashtray even if it was ok ganja.
to me effects start with taste!

i think it takes a while to really understand vaping, and to use a vaporizer properly. i've had a nice vape (a plenty by storz & bickel) for a year and a half before really i understood it: at that time i was experiencig all the down sides you guys are talking about (even if it did get me really stoned!). i did understand it after a couple of months i quit smoking.
the nice thing with vapes is that you can control the type of effect with temps and that really works! if i vape at 160 °C for instance, i will get all the heady/euphoric side of the buzz, plus a great fresh taste. and that's where you really enjoy the heady sativa buzz. at these low temps you will notice very little vapour coming out of you mouth, only a more experieced vapist can enjoy lower temps: you need to convince youself that something is happening even if you see very little vapour!
on the other hand, vaping at 200/210 °C have a much more body effect (bed, i'm coming! :)) and a more "complete" effect. if you're using a proper machine, you will get massive clouds at these temps and it will resemble somehow smoking a joint.

above 220°C you will have more and more of a sedative effect. that's why if i smoke a very sativa strain i will never have the same famous "head high" i have if i vape that same strain at 160-180 °C.
my opinion is that we are used to the higly sedative effect you get at the high temps of combustion. as others here say you need to readjust your mechanism of consuming cannabinoids to really enjoy vaping.
at least this is my feeling, i'm sure vaping is not for everyone, you should do what you enjoy! :)

also you need to find a nice vaporizer and the right one for you, that's crucial. IMO convection vapes produce a better fresher vapour and are more efficient, but conduction ones (most small portables) taste better, fullier. right now i am using a lot a very nice tiny device produced in Ireland, called Alfa by Gooboof.
Also, i feel vaping is influenced much more compared to smoking by the quality of your ganja: better ganja produce much more vapour and works much much better! i know this is quite stupid to say, but it's a much bigger difference. if you have low/average quality bud and you smoke it you will think "ok, this is not the best, but i'm high all the same and i had my ritual of puffing from my joint/pipe". if you vape that same low/av. quality bud you will probably think "what a waste! vaping sucks!". :D

I don't agree you do.

I smoked for around 20 years, then switched to vaporizing for the last 15 or so. At first it seemed like something was missing, but we all agreed as we switched over that whats missing is a thick heavy feeling in the chest, a feeling like you actually smoked something. It takes some getting used to not being there, but how it works actually, is vaporizing gets you higher, but smoking gets you lowered, its a very different feeling. And i do smoke still occasionally, smoked a bowl of fine sift on top of GSC bud last night, and it was good, but certainly not getting me higher than vaping the extract from the bud, and stoned in a different way, less cerebral, less "high". Vaporizing is a more pure cleaner stone. Its similar to eating psilocybin, or making tea from them, making tea is like the vapor stone, eating them whole is the smoking stone.
100% agreed! that's my same feeling :huggg:

igrowone

Veteran
i look at what people spend on vapes, then i just shake my head
plainly a lot of vapes are garbage, even with big price tags
if you vape at a high enough temperature, you will get the body and intensity
not quite like smoking since you don't get the carbon monoxide/cyanide and fuck what else 'rush'
you can get what you need from vaping, but you may have to do some building/experimenting on your own

i look at what people spend on vapes, then i just shake my head
plainly a lot of vapes are garbage, even with big price tags
if you vape at a high enough temperature, you will get the body and intensity
not quite like smoking since you don't get the carbon monoxide/cyanide and fuck what else 'rush'
you can get what you need from vaping, but you may have to do some building/experimenting on your own
agreed! it's a rapidly expanding maket, new vapes are released as we speak and the already existing ones are improving mostly from users' feedback. i don't know if any of you did take a look at the f-combustion forum, you can get lost there! every vape needs its proper usage which is rarely the one written on the instruction, you need some time and research to get the best out of it. the problem is it is unfortunately still quite difficult to try a number of devices before chosing the right one for you...

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
my opinion is that we are used to the higly sedative effect you get at the high temps of combustion. as others here say you need to readjust your mechanism of consuming cannabinoids to really enjoy vaping.
at least this is my feeling, i'm sure vaping is not for everyone, you should do what you enjoy! :)

thats what I said, vapor gets you higher, smoke gets you lowered :D

20 year daily smoker/grower/hasher here-

i recently just 3 days ago dusted off my old Vapor Bros. Box unit and have been really enjoying using it again after a few years in storage. ( zero connection, just very happy with use :) )

(for those who don't know Vapor Bros. is the original very high quality box vape that all the Fake and Cheap Knock-offs copied the look of, but trust me, It is Medical Grade, all glass and ceramic heater with no glues, cheap wire, or toxic adhesive used in the build - 3rd party tested zero toxins or off-gassing)

so...
i was just thinking about extracts and the processing in general and once the material extracted by sift/water/solvent etc. the leftover plant matter is considered garbage...so why do we keep burning the plant matter (reg. bud smoking) if we can have access to just the trichomes??? We obsess over THC, CBD, CBG, etc, but none of these compounds are produced or stored in vegetative plant matter....only in the trichomes themselves.....so why consume that plant matter portion???

Then i thought about how with the vaporizers (thinking in a magnified view) the hot air flows over the ground weed and just melts/boils the trichomes which are suspended into the air (vapor) , and essentially is just doing a very small glass tube run of "Hot Air Extraction" of the trichomes, stripping the cannabinoids off of the plant matter, but instead of a collection it is just directly inhaled.....so i went and found my Vapor Bros, cleaned the dust off, and started to do a little testing at various temps ... i admit after 2 hits most terpene flavor is gone (generic vape taste for remaining hits/teeny bit minty lol), but overall i am very happy with it.

I should note that in the last 1-2 years i have been growing tired of the sedating effects (no pun meant) of many of the strains that are the "popular" ones currently...i like to feel High, not Low and tired (well put HMK-Legend)

Anyways, with the big emphasis on extracts these days i thought it would be fun to try again , I am honestly saying that i am still getting totally ripped from using the vape again even coming straight off bongs/bowls/joints/dabs daily. Since I started dabbing about 4-5 years ago i had thought that vaporizers were now obsolete, but i guess not after the last few days i've been super high, lol.

So i have done about 10 bowls or so through the whip the last few days and have to say..i am really liking it again. I can tell my lungs feel more "free" if you can relate to that. (looking at dirty glass to be cleaned on my table makes me think how that same coating on the glass has to be going to lungs as well...even if body can process it - it cant be good compared to getting the all the same cannabinoids but without all of the dark sticky resins)

Last edited:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
Let me relate a story about how it went when i switched from smoking all the time(bud and hash or kif), to vaporizing(oil).

Now I have worked in labor jobs for many years, over a decade at one place. Me and some friends always smoked up every break and usually before work too, so every two hours. Back when we smoked, by the next break, 2 hours later, lethargy and negativity were hard to fight, and that next toke was looked on as a very needed re-upping, which would last maybe an hour. Then a few of us switched to vaping oil, and all of a sudden, there was almost 0 lethargy, and at the end of a shift going to get high, we would usually be very upbeat, still making stoner jokes, because we were still high! ALmost 0 burnout when inhaling vapor, and smoking is complelely different. Especially certain things, i recall even abstaining at a time all we could get was import hash( late 80s), and It would make me so sleepy i could hardly handle it. I found it a great benefit vaporizing all day compared to smoking. I like the odd bit of smoke in the evening.

Let me relate a story about how it went when i switched from smoking all the time(bud and hash or kif), to vaporizing(oil).

Now I have worked in labor jobs for many years, over a decade at one place. Me and some friends always smoked up every break and usually before work too, so every two hours. Back when we smoked, by the next break, 2 hours later, lethargy and negativity were hard to fight, and that next toke was looked on as a very needed re-upping, which would last maybe an hour. Then a few of us switched to vaping oil, and all of a sudden, there was almost 0 lethargy, and at the end of a shift going to get high, we would usually be very upbeat, still making stoner jokes, because we were still high! ALmost 0 burnout when inhaling vapor, and smoking is complelely different. Especially certain things, i recall even abstaining at a time all we could get was import hash( late 80s), and It would make me so sleepy i could hardly handle it. I found it a great benefit vaporizing all day compared to smoking. I like the odd bit of smoke in the evening.

nice story man! :)
here where i live, neither vaporizing nor concentrates are very popular... i wanted to ask you this: what do you use to vaporize oil? (especially when on the go). i have 2 herbal vaporizers (a Plenty and a Alfa), sometimes i vape oil with them but i found out the best way is to sandwhich oil with some weed... should i get a pen vape for oils? i have seen people are building powerful portable vaporizers for concentrates... i am little confused :)

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
I came up with the original oil unit, my sister started making them in 2002 for me and my friends and now they are worldwide. I started making glass in 2010. I have an enail setup that incorporates my original unit. here are two pictures, one of a classic piece, and one of my current setup.

851A2.jpg

picture.php

I came up with the original oil unit, my sister started making them in 2002 for me and my friends and now they are worldwide. I started making glass in 2010. I have an enail setup that incorporates my original unit. here are two pictures, one of a classic piece, and one of my current setup.

View Image

View Image
i knew your spledid work from before! i would love to get one... gotta love that nail! :)

sorry if i'm asking stupid questions but very few people here ever try concentrates or dabbing... but: is dabbing really vaporizing? or it is vaporizing only at controlled temps?
sorry for the noobbish stuff! i have a basic setup, titanium nail, bubbler, torch lighter. i light until it gets red that i wait till it changes color again, i dab. this is combustion right?
again, sorry but i felt this was the right moment to clear those basic doubts i've always had!

i knew your spledid work from before! i would love to get one... gotta love that nail! :)

sorry if i'm asking stupid questions but very few people here ever try concentrates or dabbing... but: is dabbing really vaporizing? or it is vaporizing only at controlled temps?
sorry for the noobbish stuff! i have a basic setup, titanium nail, bubbler, torch lighter. i light until it gets red that i wait till it changes color again, i dab. this is combustion right?
again, sorry but i felt this was the right moment to clear those basic doubts i've always had!
"here" meaning where i live! i never have the chance to talk of this things in the real life... :)

Latest posts

Latest posts