What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Edible Mushroom Hunters/Gatherers...

choom

One time I was surprisingly grateful someone littered in the woods near this mycelium patch - one 8inch pot and stick of butter later..

choom(0:

Biosynthesis

Veteran
Hey Anyone got a copy? morels showing up for anyone in the pacific Northwest. should be here. If not then very soon. Have not gotten out there yet.

Happy hunting- Bio

Capt.Ahab

Feeding the ducks with a bun.
Veteran
Anyone here growing their own mushrooms?
Im starting some oyster mushrooms on several different mediums just to have some fun. Using pasteurized local straw/grasses, paper/cardboard and even some large unbleached paper towel rolls that I inoculated with spawn I started on shredded cardboard with stem butts from some store bought mushrooms. Cant wait to see if some of them come to fruition. After a couple weeks of watching them sit there doing nothing most now have a healthy growth of mycelium starting to grow on them.
Also have a large pine that was blown down this past winter. Im thinking about inoculating the 4 foot high stump with some Phoenix oyster ( Pleurotus pulmonarius) plugs. Anyone have any experience with Phoenix oysters?

Scottish Research

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got really into mushroom hunting last spring. I have interesting photos, but they are not really edible. Can I post some of them in this thread?

blastfrompast

Veteran
We pick papenke(ukrainian name we call em, I htink they are a pine mushroom), chantrels, and morels here.

I have 80 acres that is old pasture, bush and swamp...so lots of diff area's depending on what you wanna eat and the time of year of course.

Shaggy mane grow everywhere it seems.....

Absolute best picking is in a Park by the city tho....old horse trail leads to mushroom pickers paradise(sorta, you gotta know when to get off the trail). We found it a few years ago.....Go in there and pick 10 5gal pails full in a couple hours and barely make a dent in it.

We dry and vacseal then freeze them....Rehydrate as we need.

C

Cep

Gabe what are you doing on your computer? Get out and pick!

From a previous year:
picture.php

This spot is actually in the city. A few years ago I was able to snag 20lbs only 30 minutes away. Coming up under cottonwoods soon. I'll see if I can get group shots.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
found some turkeytails growing on a stump. rumored to be good for treating cancer. how can i collect spore and inoculate different stumps/half-rounds to get a sizable amount?

new to shrooming...thanks for replies.

C

CaliGabe

Gabe what are you doing on your computer? Get out and pick!
I'm at a much higher elevation than you and need to wait a bit longer. Have a nice spot scoped out where they logged last year and if the weather cooperates should get a nice pan full or two :biggrin:. Morels are my fave.

C

Cep

found some turkeytails growing on a stump. rumored to be good for treating cancer. how can i collect spore and inoculate different stumps/half-rounds to get a sizable amount?

new to shrooming...thanks for replies.

Use tin foil and place one of the fruiting bodies pore tissue side down. Only takes a few hours to get usable amounts. Keep in mind it is difficult to get from spore print to culture without sterile techniques or glove box.

You could go a simpler route by cutting fresh round off a hardwood and placing the caps upside down on the cut section but you're not guaranteed to get colonization.

I'm at a much higher elevation than you and need to wait a bit longer. Have a nice spot scoped out where they logged last year and if the weather cooperates should get a nice pan full or two :biggrin:. Morels are my fave.

Sounds like you know the drill. Select cuts in doug fir, engelmann spruce, grand fir, etc. They grow right in the skid trials where they drag the logs out...

Classic Seeds

Veteran
I have hunted mushrooms since I was a child I learned from my grandmother she would go out in the woods and pick many varietys we have here in Oregon .when I was a teen ager I got involved with the us history museum and picked many specimens for their displays . you chantrell pickers if you cut them off at ground level instead of pulling them out they grow back all summer long in the coastal fog belts and get bigger and fatter stems each cutting.same with the inland ones .the only advice I give people if you don't know it don't eat it and be sure every charctoristic matchs the books out there your using if your new to the bounty of delicious free wild foods.one more free bit of advice don't pick along roadsides that are sprayed or in forests that have been sprayed the state highways are almost always sprayed as are rail line tracks you can find out if a area has been sprayed by asking the forrest service or the property owner .its close to morel season and where you had fires last year are good areas to find them by the bucket full .be safe and when in doubt throw it out aloha cls

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
I was curious as to why I would need sterility...these grow wild out of doors...they are not likely good for cultivation(propagation) naturally? there is no sterility outdoors...

not trying to be a pain in the ass...guess i'd better get some reading material.

http://www.wildbranchmushrooms.com/turkey-tail
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/paul-stamets/mushrooms-cancer_b_1560691.html

MD Anderson Cancer Center: Coriolus versicolor Detailed Scientific Review -- http://www.mdanderson.org/education...therapies/coriolus-versicolor-scientific.html

American Cancer Society: http://www.cancer.org/Treatment/Tre...Medicine/DietandNutrition/coriolus-versicolor

To see Paul Stamets' TEDMED talk on the research on turkey tail and other medicinal mushrooms, see: www.fungi.com/tedmed
(this link broken)
http://www.fungi.com/home.html

C

CaliGabe

I was curious as to why I would need sterility...these grow wild out of doors...they are not likely good for cultivation(propagation) naturally? there is no sterility outdoors...)
Wish I could help. I know of people that culture mycelium indoors, in a sterile setup, then dump it outside to get fruiting bodies. You can look at something like morels that grow naturally yet people pulled out a lot of hair in their attempts to propagate them successfully.

C

CaliGabe

Sounds like you know the drill. Select cuts in doug fir, engelmann spruce, grand fir, etc. They grow right in the skid trials where they drag the logs out...
Scoped the area out for the first time really and mostly equipment tracks through the woods after selective harvesting. No clear cutting. They basically broke up the virgin ground and still covered by the forest humus layer, lots of tree coverage, good moisture retention, no sun baking, etc. Issue I see is I'm looking at the forecast and sunny days in the low 70's. It needs to be cooler, partly cloudy, partly rainy for the next week or two and this area would yield an epic harvest. It's getting to hot too fast and potentially dry too soon for this area to show it's potential. It's a bummer cause this is the first Spring after they broke up the forest and always the best year for potential fruiting :frown:. I've seen that happen a lot of years around here lately...it gets warm with no moisture a few weeks before the morels start to pop.

picture.php

C

Cep

Trich, sterility is necessary to guarantee a pure culture. Building a glove box will help you do that. Cheap too: clear plastic storage container, duct tape, gloves (type used for insemination of cattle) and you're done. Bleach solution in a spray bottle and lighter for your xacto blade… good luck!

Classic Seeds

Veteran
you can collect spores by cutting off the stock and putting a cup or bowl over the mushroom cap which you can place on waxed paper and in 72 hours maybe less maybe a little longer depending on moisture content .you will have a spoor print to make mycelium with which is what makes the fruiting bodys when ready to reproduce we call mushrooms .it also helps to drill small holes in your collection bucket so you are spreading spores ever where you walk while you pick .this takes time but its a proven way to increase the mushrooms where you hunt some like the chantrells take years to appear boletes appear the next year as do many other varietys the ones that attach to tree roots and grow mysorally in a symbionic relationship to the trees are the slowest to respond but your all ready out there so your planting spore for the future aloha cls

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
thanks all.

a short walk around solved everything. I had cobbled together a shack from log sides I cut from downed trees and when I examined it the sides were populated. several other stumps and downed trees had populations also. score!

there are so many different mushroom specie growing around here, even with a reference i'm wary of eating still.

at any rate, I've discovered a new hobby and source of interest.