What's new

Ebb & Flow problems - plants seem small

RZT = Root Zone Temperature. Your temps for your root zone is of the utmost importance in terms of growth. Too low and you will find that your roots are no longer able to uptake nutrients due to many factors including lack of certain beneficial bacteria.

Your looking for about 72*F is optimum. now i've run it down to 69-70 and found great growth but any colder and I saw stunted growth.
If possible get a water heater to control your temps better.

18-20celcius is far too low. I mean when I see 20 I get extremely cautious of root zone damage.

RZT = Root Zone Temperature. Your temps for your root zone is of the utmost importance in terms of growth. Too low and you will find that your roots are no longer able to uptake nutrients due to many factors including lack of certain beneficial bacteria.

Your looking for about 72*F is optimum. now i've run it down to 69-70 and found great growth but any colder and I saw stunted growth.
If possible get a water heater to control your temps better.

18-20celcius is far too low. I mean when I see 20 I get extremely cautious of root zone damage.

Thanks for the back up :)

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
From all I hear:
68F
20C

Is the lower end of the spectrum.
With an ebb and flow shouldn't be too big of a worry, but usually a res will attain room temp.

Remember, we are talking about vegetative growth, which happens throughout (almost) the entire plant's life cycle.

Also,
Took me a while to re-read your questionaire.
I am just going to say, WHY?
Why 1" layer of hydroton.
Height issue? You want that shit 'steep and deep', buckets work well, at least 6" deep IMO.
If you can't spare the vert, try switching your style up with some r/w ONLY, hand water, and veg more and run that plant SIDEWAYS in veg, till she fill up the canopy then flip her to flower. The root ball could be on a side cab, doesn't have to be under the flowers.
Remember, THIS IS A WEED!

Good luck.
What are your growspace dims?
Any room for punching holes and moving non-essential shit (i.e. everything but the bud)out of there?

I gotta say that now I really regret that I did not get NFT type of hydroponic systems like I did last time. :watchplant:

NFT is magic compared to this E&F, at least to my experience. :pimp3: Bummer, now I have 3 systems which I do not like in the way of growing. :moon: NFT much more better suited to SOGs which I like the best.

It is true that I did not read / check / watch any E&F grow topics, just assumed that this would be the way to do it.. And then it wasn't, surprise. I would have had a much better result if I had prepared.

But I thought it as an adventure. :jump:
I do believe some of the growth limitation has been due the small amount of hydroton/LECA in the system. Last time I had more and growth was better, but the cleanup was a bitch to do, ended up dumping that whole 50L lot :(

The light is the limiting thing, at 58500 lumen for 730w is not quite effective. 80 lumen per watt.

Rendering 80Ra not so good. :yoinks:

I have the 4500K unit, others being of bluer shade than this one.

Good "sunlike" spectrum, but what ya gonna do when the guy buying a reg 600w HPS complete hydro set for half of the price you pay for your light? :(

The only really good thing about the light is that it should have a very long lifespan.. I am not certain about this as the magnetron will wear out faster than the bulb (I think 6-8 yrs of growing), but promised 15-20 year lifespan on regular grow light cycles for the bulb.

So it is good for nature yes? HELL NO a piece of metal 19,5kg not so quite small. a BEAST :D

I would not recommend getting a unit unless its 200 eur or something. The new units are way better though, the ones developed in europe. I regret not getting one of those a bit, should have known better as LG isn't known for quality lighting it does everything but flowering?

But you cannot always win. :rant:

Zendo

"It is true that I did not read / check / watch any E&F grow topics, just assumed that this would be the way to do it.. And then it wasn't, surprise. "

I don't think you should start to compare your old style of growing to anything, because you basically just 'flipped a lightswitch and hoped for the best'.. I can't even imagine changing my grow style without extensive research into the new method. Then to come online and ask for advice, while getting defensive and arguing... You shouldn't regret buying a E&F system, you should regret being lazy and not making an effort. Your results are on par with your commitment, imho.
You can't just buy a bunch of the most over hyped nutes and supplements, throw them at a plant, and think you'll get anything of value.

If I were you I would spend a lot less time worrying about starting a thread about whats wrong with your current grow, and spend that time scouring grow threads of other E&F grows. go to hydro forums, click 'search this forum', then click 'advanced search' then type ''ebb and flow'' and change field to 'search titles only'..

There is an old chinese saying..'' Look with your eye's, not with your mouth''...It's very hard to learn things with your mouth open..

If I saw those spots I would be seriously checking the underside of those leaves..

good luck to you.

nft is a great system, but I have dialed in my E&F along with my other aero room & nft.

I can assure you it's because of your lack of preparation or even understanding of how the system is truly supposed to operate that you are suffering now. E&F is among the top elite systems available in my opinion so keep that in mind and try to do some hw on ur system to better it. instead of condemning it.

Latest posts

Latest posts