What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ebb flow 2022

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Ebb and flow are still used however drain to waste systems, are much easier and cheaper to operate. 😎

Last edited:

RockinRobot

Ebb and flow are still used however drain to waste systems, are much easier and cheaper to operate. 😎
I disagree. Flood and drain is no more expensive than DTW. In fact re-using Hydroton in flood and drain is probably cheaper than having to replace coco/perlite all the time. Also DTW requires much more expensive timers or you waste a lot of Nutrient solution.

Hiddenjems

I use flood and drain with expanded clay.

I spend around $10 per lb of flower on nutes. Not much of anything on medium as I reuse 90% of my pebbles.

When you get the flood/drain cycle right, it’s almost like a nutrient film technique. My tables are filled with roots.

RyanR

I spend around $10 per lb of flower on nutes. Not much of anything on medium as I reuse 90% of my pebbles.

When you get the flood/drain cycle right, it’s almost like a nutrient film technique. My tables are filled with roots.
How often to change notes and at what types does your res average at?

gr866

Veteran

I use an Active Aqua Gro & Flo 6 pot system, about to go to 9 pots in my 5X5. Am at 4 weeks into flower. 1.3 EC and a pH of 6.04 on average. I use the Torus pH Perfect to help control my pH.
20230215_150329.jpg 20230215_150433.jpg 20230216_102449.jpg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
gr866 your plants look awesome, loaded with a lot of buds at 4 weeks. I bet they are stinking already.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I disagree. Flood and drain is no more expensive than DTW. In fact re-using Hydroton in flood and drain is probably cheaper than having to replace coco/perlite all the time. Also DTW requires much more expensive timers or you waste a lot of Nutrient solution.
Thanks for teaching and keeping me tuned in friend.

Ca++

Flood&Drain Clay Pebbles, is the most productive system I have used. By quite some margin. It's just a bit awkward moving through pot sizes, unless you have tables to stand them on. Tables need quite a big tank though, who's minimum level, is a lot to chuck away. As much as DTW. A system that allows a stable tank to drip a system for quite some time (like a week away). The pebbles are easy to riddle and use again. Making the system ideal if you don't want to keep moving bags of substrate in&out. Waste control is the failure of many growers. So having as little as possible can be a very good thing.

DTW also allows online dosing. Meaning no tank. While F&D needs the biggest tank of all systems. My particular choice is the bucket system, known as the multiflow. Though somewhat modified to work faster. For a quick cycle every 4 hours.

If you use rockwool or coco, you loose any real gains. It's all about a thin film of moisture over the roots. Lots of air. Which means pebbles.

Unfortunately, I don't like pebble weed (as we call it) It's dry

Endrega

Yes, please keep this thread alive:D

I use ebb&flow in a system with beds 60x80x20cm with 80l tanks beneath them. In flower I run the solution up and down every hour. I run this system for a few years now.

What ec and ph plans do you guys run with pebbles? I veg at 6,2/1,2 and flower at 6,0 and peak at 1,6-1,8
Everyone says that to me. I am not that convinced either. I think it is a hype because in the states everyone does it on a huge scale and you see it everywhere on instagram and yt. There is only dtw or organic. Everything else is niche now. That does not mean it is the best solution for my 2000w led setup that i have to harvest and reset by myself. I don't want a setup that needs like 2 hours of work every day just on the irrigation.

I might try dtw just to get some first hand experiance and then we will see what's what

Ca++

I like that round expanded clay balls, are so easy to riddle at the end. Also, that if you flood enough to get everything buoyant, you can just push your hand to the bottom quite easily. Which makes planting out quite easy. I just don't like the pebble taste.
It's very close to aeroponic. Wet roots in the air. The spread through the stones, may even make F&D superior to some aero tanks, where the roots are as matted as NFT.

Show my some little golf practice balls, that don't float, and I will be back in F&D
iu

Ca++

plasticpebbles.jpg

My drawing skills are not making this easy. I would like balls, made up of 3 flat circular planes. This would riddle well, and trap just a little water. It's a fairly easy cast, but I'm not making that many myself.
I want them bad enough to of drawn them. I know it would work.