What's new

Ebb & Flo question - slight problem

crcbaby

Plant leaves are folding slightly upwards and I'm seeing something that looks like burnt leaves. Clones are planted in rockwool and tray is filled with Hydroton. I water 5 min every 3 hours. Takes 2 min to fill. No water during 6 hours of dark. Ec is about 1. Ph is adjusted every day to about ph 6. It rises something like 0,5 every day. They where very slow in the start and they have been vegged for about 3 weeks. Res have not been changed yet. I feel that I have used large amount of ph down. It's in powder form from GH. Temps about 75f day and 60-65 night

Finaly, what can the problem be?

New Holland

crcbaby said:
Plant leaves are folding slightly upwards and I'm seeing something that looks like burnt leaves.

Sounds like nute burn. I had the same problem. But if your EC is at 1.0. that's not that high. Are the burnt upturn leaves on the bottom of the plant only?

BTW: I'm no expert. I'm a hydro nube. Just trying to help out.

I add about 3-6 mls of Ph down every 2nd day in a 160 litre (40 gallon) Res with plants at 3 week veg and an EC of 1.6 m/s

B

Blunted22

how close is your light to the plants it could be heat from your light. is it just the very top leaves?

your ph should be targeted alittle lower anywhere from 5.4 -5.8

i would try to cut down on watering times maybe take one out a day or so and respace them out evenly

crcbaby

Plants are 40 cm away from a 600 HID. I dont think the nute burn can come from too much ferts since the ec is only 1. But that is not my main problem. I hope its going away or it will tun out to be the start of too little N. I will wait a few days and see.

About leaves folding upwards. Could this be underwatering? I checked pics in the Sick-plant gallery and my plants kinda looks like the under watered ones. I was thinking about more water and you say less water. hmmm what to do

G

change your rez out every 12 -14 days and use a lil fulvic or i have found hygrozyme drops ph a few points well...........you can get problems from to much ph down <sometimes >build up if not weekly changing rez

reason i try to use something the plants can use <hygrozyme/fulvic acid to help drop the ph down a tad

if not puta hygrometer ot temp gauge at the top of your canopy and see what temps your gettings...........if open hoods, not aircooled could be need to lift um up 6 inchs for a week and see if IT greens back up and new growth does not fold up

good luck man

Last edited:

crcbaby

I'll give it a try. What is proper distance from light to the top of the plant? And what should the temp be at the top?

vigilo

600w 1.3ft away sounds close, back it up, (esp for young plants)

I'd say try 2 feet, temps shouldnt b over 80

Lucky

I would say its PH, I would presoak ur rockwool to stabilize the PH. Rockwool really makes PH rise if not presoaked. In a small reservoir that makes big issuses. Check out grrodans website for full instructions on rockwool treatment.
Also if there in 4" or larger RW cubes I would try feeding them every 4 hours for 3-5 mins even during dark cycle that is plenty.
Good luck mate

dc105

ICMag Donor
First of all you watering schedule is off! You should be watering for 15 minutes at a time 3 to 4 times in a light cycle! Correct! there is no need to water during the dark cycle at all since there is no photosynthesis accuring during the dark hours! You should set your timer to feed 1 hour after lights are on, and 2 hours before ending, and 1 feeding in the middle of those!

You can have swings in ph and not effect the plants much! I would also make sure leaves are not getting too close to your light! Hope this helps, I've been running ebb and flow quite a while now!

Last edited:

crcbaby

Lucky: I cannot find instructions on rockwool treatment on the grodan website. Do you have a link?

Is it a problem if the rockwool get wet? I read that it should not touch the water. And also how can the rockwool affect the PH if it doesn't touch the water?

My rockwool is getting wet and I see the start of some green algea. I covered the top of the rockwool with hydroton to prevent light and I'm hoping the algea will be gone.

dc105

ICMag Donor
It sounds like you don't have evough hyrdrotrons in your buckets. You may have to let the rockwool get wet until roots get through it then you can add hydrotrons so that the roots just get wet! You can soak your rockwool for 3 hours in 6.0 solutin to treat it too! I don't bother with it and really don't have any problems from it either!

crcbaby

I dont use buckets, i just filled the whole tray with hydroton. Your setup looks nice. I might give buckets a try another grow. How do you flood your buckets? From the picture i connot see.

TahoeTops

In my situation, I put 1 inch cubes into 4 inch cubes once roots are showing out of the bottom. I situate the 4" cubes in baskets with hydroton rock on the bottom and surrounding the 4"cube. I make sure that the 4" cube is in water only about 1/2 inch on the bottom so it can soak up water. If you don't have roots coming out the bottom of your cubes yet, then the rockwool needs to be barely in the water so the root system can get water.

What size rockwool are your plants in? Is new growth very apparent?

As far as your problem:

First, I would raise the light to at least 2 ft. or 60 cm. The rule of thumb is when you place the back of your hand at the top of where your plants are and it feels too hot, raise the lights.

Second, I would change the solution and give it fresh solution every week to 10 days.

Third, raise the amount of time the water cycle is on to approximately 15 minutes.

Fourth, Show us some pics so we get a better idea of what you are talking about.

Good Luck...

Last edited:

dc105

ICMag Donor

This is the controller that has the timer! It pumps water out of the rez into the buckets. It feeds from the bottom as it fills the buckets to the level of the float valve and flooding stops! It holds the water in the buckets for desired length of time and then drains back to resevior!

chosen

Veteran
Nice little controller. I have my buckets setup with overflows because I'm a cheap skate.

Rufid

If you did not treat your cubes prior to planting,this could be the prob. I soaked mine overnight in a solution of 5.5.

As for watering times,there are a variety of options.I've known people who flood 5 minutes every hour and had great results.

Latest posts

Latest posts