What's new

Easiest Stain to Trim

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
I guess what I'm saying is which strains have the highest calyx to leaf ratio? I've been told G13-sour diesel by Head is one, but that he won't release it again for whatever reason, and than there's G13-Haze by dope-seeds that is supposedly all bud and hardly any leaf. Any others you guys might recommend? My hands are killin me from all this trimming! If these leaf trimming machines were cheaper I'd get one for sure.

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
you're gonna pick a strain based on how easy it is to trim? why not just get something that isn't incredibly leafy and pay someone else to do it?

if its not worth paying someone else because of low volume, gotta toughen up those hands mang!

in my few experiences .. bogglegum and sharks breath were not bad .. ak 48 was a bitch depending on the pheno.. i have only delt with 15-25 strains/ phenos. i want strains that are easy to trim as well so .. im looking for more

Bubblegum is good, certain phenos of SSH, Blue Dream too probably, cause I got the S1 seeds and the keeper pheno I kept has just plain excellent plant/bud structure, and leaves that yellow out and snap off just like they should.

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
not sure if you have access to cuttings or just seeds but Sour Diesel has always been swollen knobby easy to trim colas for me.

My OG Kush cuts aren't bad, dont produce a shitload but not difficult to trim at all. Lil christmas trees of dank.

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
this skunk #1 looks incredible.. however a high calyx/leaf ratio is not my only deciding factor for a strain, just an important one.

Attachments

• HIGH CALYX BUD.jpg
    HIGH CALYX BUD.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 10

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
C99 pineapple pheno from Mosca, GHS SLH, GHS LSK, GHS Cheese were the easiest trims I can remember I have grown.

Stay away from sourdiesel, chemdog, ogk's, and anything with blueberry. Basically if the leaves curl AT ALL it is much harder to trim and SD and Blueberry are notorious for that trait add in completely floppy weak stems and it is even more of an issue.

F

Fluffy Clouds

floppy weak stems are great because plant gives all energy to bud and not to produce robust stem, is anybody smoking stem?

sour diesel hard to trim? not true

t Sour Diesel has always been swollen knobby easy to trim colas for me.

this is true... if i pick sour diesel for something it would be for buds with big swollen calyxes and minimum leaf material lol :D i had a lot of dieseldom casey jones which have this wonderful trait :D like this:

picture.php

yeah casey jones is easy trimmer too..

ThePizzaMan

Veteran
My SFV X Chemdog is a breeze to trim...all buds are tight and dense...such a pleasure.

My Chimera GF X BB is also a breeze to trim.

You should also look at Sour Diesel hybrids or SD itself...as it traditionally has a high Calyx to leaf ratio.

Cheers

TPM

Gerardbutler79

Veteran
Thanks guys. Hey fluffyclouds I think he meant that weak stems cant hold up big buds is all. Mosca's C99 hybrids look pretty good

40AmpstoFreedom

ICMag Donor
Veteran
floppy weak stems are great because plant gives all energy to bud and not to produce robust stem, is anybody smoking stem?

A plant can most certainly produce thick robust stems and generate a hell of a lot more yield with much bigger bud and a plant that doesn't need to be staked to death or tied up to one stake because it flops all over. Sour D is the shit, but it is no where near as easy to trim as the strains I listed. Sour D, just like every other plant, has its negatives and positives when objectively viewed in my opinion. Sour D is my absolute favorite, but it is not as easy to trim as many others I have had are. Tomato cages and 1 stake works best it seems. Also, I don't think it is arguable that floppy stems are easier to hand trim with scissors either.

Now we would agree that males that are more woody and create more robust stems tend to be more prone to poor yield. Throw in quick flowering to boot and you need to make sure no auto flower traits as well. Same goes for the females that are thick stemmed and small or airy buds just more obvious when dealing with them...

sour diesel hard to trim? not true

I think it rather trivial to even compare my experience to yours. I was not addressing you, just my experience. You grown out anything I listed and able to compare? Even then we got environmental factors and growing styles that differ...

S

Space Ghost

The easiest trimming jobs I have had have been bogglegum

picture.php

vary little leaf, good yield, great taste/smell, quick, potent, an all around winner

^^^^TWO VERY DIFFERENT PHENOS GROWN ABOUT 5-6 YEARS APART

T

turtle farmer

Cheesequake is very easy to trim,one fan leaf at each bud and thats it.
the flower room looked like a golf ball farm.

S

Scrappy-doo

Sour Diesel is VERY easy to trim. Chemdog also. I can't believe anyone would say to stay away from these plants because they are difficult to trim. That's just ridiculous. Perhaps you may think that is the case if you have a fake sour diesel you got from a pack of seeds. I have the real cut of both and they are both a breeze to trim.

On the other hand, I have also grown out GHS SLH, Lemon Skunk, and Exodus Cheese. Lemon Skunk was not bad, but give me a break. Cheese? The very top reason for me never wanting to grow that plant again is because of the pain in the ass it was to trim. And the tiny ass yields. That is one leafy bitch. DO NOT get GHS cheese if you want a plant that is a breeze to trim.