What's new

Earth Juice Users

FK - Thats alot of water for a week, didn't realize you were such a player - 48 wooo weee :)

Know wonder you got massive drums going - Something to concider would be to do concentrated bubbled teas in 5 gal buckets & dilute with water when your ready to feed.

Whatever is easiest - just as long as its not smelling fowl then its all good.

Scrap - Im just using 100% re-used screened homemade compost at this point, its very simple.

Got so tired of measuring & cutting - 25% compost / 25% peat / 10% coir / 10% verm / 30% perlite - What a PITA.

Just dump "whatever" in the compost pile & call it good now.

1 TBS per gal of Espoma Biotone Stater for small plant mix.

1 TBS per gal of Piece of Mind All Purpose 5-5-5 for veg mix.

0 TBS for flower mix - I like to liquid feed in flower :)

FinestKind

FK - Thats alot of water for a week, didn't realize you were such a player - 48 wooo weee :)

Know wonder you got massive drums going - Something to concider would be to do concentrated bubbled teas in 5 gal buckets & dilute with water when your ready to feed.

Whatever is easiest - just as long as its not smelling fowl then its all good.

Yeah, but they're smaller than the ones you grow :D I only veg for 2 to 3 weeks, 2 feet at finish max... I just like to make my life as difficult as possible, for some reason.

FK

RipVanWeed

Hey Scrappy,

I use ammended soil kinda like an LC's mix, I use a mix of meals and EWC. I also feed with EJ. I just found the upper limits of nutes by burning my plants, but after adjusting strenghs down, I think I've found a sweet spot.

I don"t measure in my EJ, I measure the conductivity and ppm's.
Grow, Bloom, Cat, and HiBrix, then I add ACT componets like Vermiblend, Storebought EWC, homegrown EWC and lechate. Sometimes Kelp or alfalfa.

What I found was if I feed at 1400ec/1000ppm, the plants will suffer. Keeping the mix below 1000/700 and using straight water every third time is my current "sweet spot".

Been at this for almost 2 yrs now and still learning to "read" my plants. I've overfed and underfed, but feel real good about respecting these target numbers. Of course all this is bubbled till ph rise then Ph adjusted with Bloom. I tried using EJ with out brewing and really burned 'em, learned that early.

Good Luck Scrappy

Much Respect

Scrappy4

Veteran
Hey Scrappy,

I use ammended soil kinda like an LC's mix, I use a mix of meals and EWC. I also feed with EJ. I just found the upper limits of nutes by burning my plants, but after adjusting strenghs down, I think I've found a sweet spot.

I don"t measure in my EJ, I measure the conductivity and ppm's.
Grow, Bloom, Cat, and HiBrix, then I add ACT componets like Vermiblend, Storebought EWC, homegrown EWC and lechate. Sometimes Kelp or alfalfa.

What I found was if I feed at 1400ec/1000ppm, the plants will suffer. Keeping the mix below 1000/700 and using straight water every third time is my current "sweet spot".

Been at this for almost 2 yrs now and still learning to "read" my plants. I've overfed and underfed, but feel real good about respecting these target numbers. Of course all this is bubbled till ph rise then Ph adjusted with Bloom. I tried using EJ with out brewing and really burned 'em, learned that early.

Good Luck Scrappy

Much Respect

Thanks Rip, I take it you are not reusing your soil?

Are you saying not bubbling the EJ would cause lock out due to ph? or nute burn?

My first couple indoor grows were peachy, keen with a small touch of EJ grow, bloom, and micro blast, and some EWC & guano teas, in a amended soil, then I started re-cycling the soil and made the mistake of getting my mix too hot by re-amending it, and it probably too much lime.

I'm getting my next run ready with more newly amended soil and want to do it right. I wondering just how much I can add and get away with. And having a goal of re using the soil again. scrappy

Yeah, but they're smaller than the ones you grow :D I only veg for 2 to 3 weeks, 2 feet at finish max... I just like to make my life as difficult as possible, for some reason.

FK

Keeping a plant happily vegging for 2 1/2 months inside is a real test.

They hit different points where things run out & it comes on fast, the main reason I get them big is to cut numbers just in case but would LOVE to do a bunch of little plants, that would be so easy & funner.

I really think if people would forgot most of what they read here & keep there PH & EC in check - your going to notice a major improvement.

Oh boy - Look who came out from under his rock. :wave:

Rip - hows it growing ?

Its kinda getting lonely here, looks like I pissed off most everyone or scared the sheeple with my abnormal methods ?

Get the hell outa here - you check your plants with a meter - thats for chem hydro guys this is organics man, load that soil with cups of amendments, 2 TBS lime, humus & your good to go. Throw that meter away the microbs will balance your PH, you can't accuratly measure organic nutes with an EC meter. You got some reading to do - your methods are wack..

:tiphat:

AOD2012

I have the key, now i need to find the lock..
Veteran
im still here. havent been online in a while, busy with school and the room. been having some issues with ph and nute lockout or something. im gonna start a thread in the infirmary tomorrow. i stopped using lime on the second half of the room so well see how they turn out, my last batch was pretty crappy. oh and yea i need to find a better way to aerate the tees because my stones keep getting clogged. any ideas would be nice. im gonna link that thread once i start it. peace out

aod

I'm getting my next run ready with more newly amended soil and want to do it right. I wondering just how much I can add and get away with. And having a goal of re using the soil again. scrappy

If your still experimenting with a mix, IMO a good practice to start off on the right foot would be to get a cup of the finished mix, add it to a cup of water (RO or distilled) then let it soak over night.

Screen out solids - PH & EC test the liquid.

That will give you a good general idea whats going on & changes can be made if necessary.

ALOT easier to fix something then vs. adjusting / troubleshooting later thats for sure.

:ying:

* AOD = I rarely keep a tea bubbling for over 3 days, they tend to be problematic maintaining them from "spoiling" aka fowl stinking.

We really dont want that anaerobic bacteria in our projects.

Anyway - even with a short 3 day bubble my stones get sludged so I use my handy wooden paint stick to scrape the sludge off or just rotate a clean stone into the mix.

Scrappy4

Veteran
If your still experimenting with a mix, IMO a good practice to start off on the right foot would be to get a cup of the finished mix, add it to a cup of water (RO or distilled) then let it soak over night.

Screen out solids - PH & EC test the liquid.

That will give you a good general idea whats going on & changes can be made if necessary.

ALOT easier to fix something then vs. adjusting / troubleshooting later thats for sure.
quote]

Thanks, I ordered a tester last night for this reason. I'm tired of testing with the dropper and guessing what the results are. The one I ordered can do both ph and ppm, ec. Of course once I get the soil right I won't need it, oh well.........scrappy

RipVanWeed

Yea,

I reuse airstones till they plug up. Found 3 pacs at the 99c store, Bought them out. Now I'm running low, so I've fabbed up an octogan shaped diffuser out of PVC. I cut slits in the PVC with the thinnest Dremel cutting wheel.

My dogs are really getting into this organic stuff with me, they're freaks for fish hydrozilate. Straight, dried or diluted, it doesn't matter. Used ACT airstones get stolen, plucked right off the airline if left out, Hydroton gets eaten like Pez. The crunching sound sends shivers down my spine.

The residue that drys around the top of the bucket, just above the water line, could be considered a canine delicacy, haha.

Much Respect,

FinestKind

Yea,

I reuse airstones till they plug up. Found 3 pacs at the 99c store, Bought them out. Now I'm running low, so I've fabbed up an octogan shaped diffuser out of PVC. I cut slits in the PVC with the thinnest Dremel cutting wheel.

My dogs are really getting into this organic stuff with me, they're freaks for fish hydrozilate. Straight, dried or diluted, it doesn't matter. Used ACT airstones get stolen, plucked right off the airline if left out, Hydroton gets eaten like Pez. The crunching sound sends shivers down my spine.

The residue that drys around the top of the bucket, just above the water line, could be considered a canine delicacy, haha.

Much Respect,

They are nasty little buggers, aren't they? Man, they eat your air stones? Makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it! Thanks for the idea on the dollar store too, I'll stop by there and see what they have!

FK

FinestKind

On the air stones thing again... I actually started a thread asking this very question (how to clean them, specifically)... check it out here; specifically, Suby's answer, about using rockwool cubes as "air stones"... gonna have to try that one out.

FK

Scrappy4

Veteran
OK, I have a ph/ec/ppm meter coming to me via mail order. When I get it, how should it be used during a grow. The PH is kind of self explanatory, but how do I interpret EC in regards to my soil and water? And then how do these numbers help me knowing when and how much to feed? Thanks scrappy

RipVanWeed

FinestKind,

1400ec/1000ppm on a regular basis proved to be too strong of a regimen, sometimes I was even hittin' 'em harder. Had a lot of burned and suffering leaves, as I cut back on the nutes, the plants have been much happier.

1100ec/850ppm and a Ph of 6.2 are my current targets when brewing ACT. Sometimes I use Neptune's Harvest, 1TBL per gal. (no bubbling) Sometimes I use straight water. (Bubbled out the Chlorine)

This is a pic of how my flower room looks today

MasterBubbaKush, chopped 11/5....160g

Budshot of MasterBubbaKush

Peace Out,

Scrappy - Rip can jump in with his input.

Ive covered your question several times in this thread somewhere in the 350 posts ?

Been thinking that the threads getting so long that people aren't reading it & the same questions are getting asked over & over making the thread less "useful?" the longer it gets.

Kinda hate to make a different thread but think it might be a good idea ?

I think the new thread should be purely focused on questions & keep this one for product application reviews & tested methods of use ?

FinestKind

Thanks Rip for clarifying...

Scrappy, that is in fact the conversation we're having right now... if you go back maybe 2 pages to the start of my posts, Tac and others have fastidiously answered the exact same questions (as I just got a Truncheon meter myself.)

FK

Thanks FK for that - Im not getting cranky with the threads outcome anymore, im just glad Rip came along to backup this meter stuff. lol

Now I know how Gingers feel. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts