What's new

Early sexing

Hygro

How big must a plant be before you can switch the light cycle to 12/12 to determine sex. I want to it as early as possible to get out the males. 6 hydro ebb and flow and 13 soil. Scrog for the hydro. But started seeds in rockwool which was stupid financially. So would like to sex em early to get out males before they root like crazy in the rockwool.

reckon

you can go straight from seed running 12/12,...they usually start to show sex after about 30-40 days,...with the males showing balls first.

males will usually be slightly taller than the exact same varieties female (apical dominance)

you can also check the second internode right at the main branch, very often a plant will pop two flowers on each side there after only a few weeks, giving you an early glimpse as to what sex they are.

Hygro

So would they still be seedlings when they show sex or will they be more mature with a level or two of nodes?

Biatchzxz

Where am I?
Veteran
Well when they get mature they will tell you. It depends. Just think about it like a baby growing up. Showing it's first teeth etc. Growing into a teenager. No it will show it's sex as soon as it matures naturally. Mother nature. So pretty much u can grow it out 12/12 from seedling. ThAt way it will show sex as soon as it's ready. U could even just give it 18/6 for a week or 2 so it grows a little faster and matures. Or go 12/12 straight Thru. Pull the males , clone females. Etc. The possibilitys are endless. Don't ask me why I compared babys. Teeth and all that sillyness. That sour diesel bowl hit didn't do it :). Peace guys and gals

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
A good way to determine sex is by taking test cuts and putting them on 12/12. :)

This is what you want to do--
If you were doing SOG or a micro grow, then you could go straight 12/12 from seed...but it seems like you would like to finish with a li'l more than a 6 inch plant--
Take a couple clones from them, root them, and by the time you do that, your seedlings should be big enough to flip--:tiphat:

reckon

little hard to take a cut from something like this:

Kush-20days.jpg

but I can already see female flowers at the second and third internodes,...these are all girls

these have been growing under 12/12 from seed for 20 days now.

Biatchzxz

Where am I?
Veteran
Yeah I see. Well that's good that u already see female flowers. I've already read an article that said just what the dude just said. U can let em grow clone (when u can) n keep 12/12 that way flowers show by the time they root or whateve something Like that I can't think right now for some Sour Diesel resason

Hygro

20 days hm. So for hydro what would you do? Go straight to bloom with the nutrients? Then if I wanted to revert them back to veg use veg nutrients? Sounds like alot of stress.

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
I have heard of people sexing straight from seedling stage.

whether those two thin "hairs" either cross OR if they look like they are praying. If they cross they are supposed to be males and if they have a praying or NOT crossing then they are females.

only thing I see going wrong is if you hit one of those things and cross them on accident versus them either doing it themselves or not.

anyone else hear about what I am talking about AND can better explain it.

Biatchzxz

Where am I?
Veteran
Truth yes somtimes it could stress out. I've seen a situation like that where young plants were put into flower room an were left to be sexed and were left in there for a while. By the time were sexed and all they were like a week or 2 into flowering or whatever and then back into veg room. Thru out the veg cycle after that switch. It kinda screwed the biological clock up. So then it was left in veg cycle for another 2-2 1/2 weeks. Then when it was put into flowering it grew out but it finished super fast also too fast so I guess it might have some effect on something. I'm not sure if it does or maybe it was just those specific ones. But I'm sure if done properly all that would be avoided. As long as u get it early as possible no probelms

ithinkiam

whether those two thin "hairs" either cross OR if they look like they are praying. If they cross they are supposed to be males and if they have a praying or NOT crossing then they are females.

I'd like to know more about this...if this is true then I can assume that I may in fact have females. But exactly how accurate is this way of identifying sex?? :watchplant:

Hygro

Yeah that's really interesting. I also would like to have some one confirm that. Also is I'm going straight to bloom in hydroponics do I start by giving it bloom formula then revert it back with veg??

reckon

mine are NOT going into the grow yet,....I was trying to see if they were forced, or naturally seeded, and to see how they branch,...I'm getting all fems, so I'm fairly certain these are forced.

I'll take cuttings from the best one(s) and THOSE will get flowered out.

this is simply to determine sex, and growth/branching characteristics (i.e. "do I grow 9, or 12"?)

if I was going to flower them out, they'd already be in 1 gallon pots, under a 1000w hortilux blue, and at 24/0 light cycle. (and be 5" taller/bushier).

I'm planning on sticking the rest of them (that I don't hack for cuts) into my next run in 30 days.