What's new

e39 5-series BMW?

Z

zen_trikester

Hey guys!

Thinking about picking up a 97-2002 BMW 5 series. Most of what I'm looking at has high miles but the bmw community is really active and these (E39's) are regarded as some of the best BMWs. There are 7 or 8 of them available in my area for 4- 7K.

I have read many times how dependable these cars can be. There are some known issues that will effect all of them eventually, but often that stuff has been handled in this mileage range. There are tons of well put together pictorial tuts on how to fix or upgrade the most common issues. Lots of used and aftermarket parts are available, and they are beautiful cars to drive.

Any experiences good or bad would be great!! I'm really trying hard not to buy just another jap car or an impala... even though I probably should! In my price range most everything is going to be over 100k miles unless it is a sub compact or a gas guzzler. The 5 series is a good size for me and with the 6 they can get close to 30 on the highway and that is my goal. I go for about 20K miles per year mostly on the highways and I typically buy a used car every 2-3 years once they start to give me fits.

StellarP

ICMag Donor
Great car, disappointed I sold mine....540i 6spd......great looks..quick...highway mileage in 20's..city not so much. I would suggest the 530 model as it has the "bullet proof" 6 cyl. with the best handling system(wouldnt fit with V8).

As noted most common issues are simple DIY if so inclined. Well maintained will run forever. Good luck in your search.

Cheers
StellarP

Z

zen_trikester

Thanks Stellar! I would love the 540, but trying to save on gas so looking at the 528,525's mostly. They seem to handle the 28-30 range on the highway and that will help me out a lot as gas prices creep up. Haven't come across a 530 yet, but I will look around. I'm trying to find one with a manual trans but so far I am just seeing automatics. 3 series and 540's I see lots of manual trans. The 99 528i I just looked at a couple days ago was having some rather typical transmission issues and it is a shame since every other flaw has been recently handled like the radiator, water pump, ball joints, etc... the guy sunk a lot of money into it and it shows, but the transmission failsafe is coming on and that could mean a lot of things and most likely a lot of head scratching before it is fixed with the possible result being a new transmission. Not sure I want to go there! That one also has only 125K miles which is pretty low.

I'm looking at a 2000 528i tonight that has 165K on it, but it is owned by an older woman who has been driving it daily since 2003 and she has every bit of maintenance records. That one is supposed to be 100% perfect except the cup holders. I think those are destined to be transformed into a stealth rolling tray. Ha! Can't say that on most forums!!! That one even comes with a 2nd set of wheels and snow tires which is nice. Nothing like fresh rubber when the snow starts falling.

Just found some 530's... seems they go for a couple grand more than the 528's I've been looking at. Maybe something will come up this week though. Seems to be a busy market for used bmw's all the sudden. Good for me!!

Bobby Stainless

"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
IMO, I would look at a Japanese car.

For example a GS300 or I30. They will outlast the Bimmer, and for less money.

Last edited:

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
I worked as a BMW master tech for 10 years so I can give you some input on these cars.. They are by far the most car for the money in the price range you are shopping, very nice cars indeed.

That said, stay away from 528, 525, and 540's in that milage range. It's well worth the extra cash to get the 530. The 525, and especially the 528's develope head gasket problems in that age/milage range and for some reason the 530's don't seem to have the same issues. As for the 540's the V8 isn't near as reliable as the 530 I6..

The 530 may cost more initially but you will spend less to keep it on the road, seen many past 300k without any major engine repairs..

Z

zen_trikester

I worked as a BMW master tech for 10 years so I can give you some input on these cars.. They are by far the most car for the money in the price range you are shopping, very nice cars indeed.

That said, stay away from 528, 525, and 540's in that milage range. It's well worth the extra cash to get the 530. The 525, and especially the 528's develope head gasket problems in that age/milage range and for some reason the 530's don't seem to have the same issues. As for the 540's the V8 isn't near as reliable as the 530 I6..

The 530 may cost more initially but you will spend less to keep it on the road, seen many past 300k without any major engine repairs..

Ha ha! Well I guess that is why they are affordable to me!!! I don't think I will be able to find a 530 that I can afford. I just don't have another couple grand to pay.

Can you tell me about the vanos issues? There is a lot of info on that online, but I would love to hear the view from a tech.

thanks for all the help guys! And yes I may still end up with a toyota or a honda, but really just trying to be a little less of a sheeple.

Z

zen_trikester

Just drove a 97 528i and then a 2000 528i. Both were nice and both had more power than the first one I looked at, so that one is out... there is something going on with that one!

The 2000 was mint. I saw a pencil point sized hole in the rear seat, a crack in 2 of the little wood trim pieces, cupholders were naturally broken, and the engine had dust on it. Otherwise mint. Ran and drove perfectly. Looked showroom new and even the rock chips in the hood were recently taken care of There was a folder with a 1/2" stack of receipts going back to 2004. Mostly maintenance other than the water heater and some sensors and whatnot. She has really been almost problem free with the car. So at 176K miles does that mean it will continue to be that way or it is fixin to implode. Literally showroom new in most respects. She is asking only $5k, but I bet I could get her closer to 4K. A lot of miles but man is that a nice car! Also comes with a set of 4 unmounted snow tires, and the reg tires are nice kellys with a good 75% tread. I think I have to buy this one! Especially if I can get it for 4K

StellarP

ICMag Donor
Auto or manual? Should be able to get another 176k miles no problem if well maintained. Most of the annoying problems come from age, ie:window regulators, maf sensor. (Happens with all 10 yr. old cars).

Definitely a fun car to "drive". Good luck with the purchase.

Cheers
StellarP

Z

zen_trikester

Unfortunately that is an auto but it has the triptronic so I can still have some, albeit clutchless, manual shifting fun. I'm going to sleep on it, but I think I will be buying this car tomorrow. I wish I could afford a 530, but it isn't going to happen. I'm rolling the dice no matter what I buy

stoked this thread is on..

Looking at 520i 2003 with 70 000 km's on the clock

also they have a 735li with 68 000 km's on the clock

Are the 7 series that much more costly to maintain?? obviously the tyres but other then that is there a hug difference? ( hoping Aerohead can give me some input :)

e_24

stoked this thread is on..

Looking at 520i 2003 with 70 000 km's on the clock

also they have a 735li with 68 000 km's on the clock

Are the 7 series that much more costly to maintain?? obviously the tyres but other then that is there a hug difference? ( hoping Aerohead can give me some input :)

yes. the 7 series will empty your wallet quick. i have an 85 6 series, and just dropped 7000 on suspension replacement parts, brakes and misc. bits doing the work myself. e39's are nice, but cost a lot to maintain if you are not a gear head. IMO the e38 740i is probably the best bang for your buck. M60B42 is a great motor, good on gas. It's at the point in its life that it is neither old nor new. A good middle of the road-priced luxury bmw, that looks fantastic.

Tires mean nothing. that's the cheap part. when i look for any car, i look to see if the owner keeps good maintenance records, keeps the car clean, and knows what they are talking about. i dont like talking to a "BMW enthusiast" who doesnt know the difference between their elbow and their asshole

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
7 series will nickle and dime the shit out you....window regulators, coolant system, suspension, you name it...

BMWs achilles heal is the coolant system, so get that replaced with something nice and aftermarket and your good...

some also have subframe issues, but i think thats mostly with 3 series...

i drove a bunch of 5 series..fuckin awesome car. the design is classic, good power even in the 528. if i had to buy one it would definately be the 530i. they sell for the most money for a reason, best balance of power, reliability, economy....

i still have a e36 m3 coupe in estoril blue in my dream projects...been in a supercharged m3 that had some serious heat. my pops rocked the M coupe thats also a fast ride...BMW is too stiff for my back though, i need to see a chiropracter after every ride.....

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Do not overlook the diesels...

The 2.5 TDS is a brilliant engine, hard to tell it is a Diesel, 143 BHP, I just had 50+MPG out of mine, driving at 65/70 in the last few days of the Spanish Eco Speed Limit 110KMH.

The 3.0 Diesel is a monster, chipped they can make 400Ft Lb of torque, more than most 911s and V8 Ferraris.

Driven fast, diesels only use slightly more juice than normal, but petrol cars can easily dip under 10 or even 5mpg, I remember Jason Plato getting 1.5MPG from an Aston Martin on public roads....

BigRigRob

My E32 740I is 18 yrs old this year, and she still turns heads!, the newer models just don't have "it". I love my classic Bimmer.
char092.gif

DFW7SIGPICMEDIUMREVISED.gif

e_24

My E32 740I is 18 yrs old this year, and she still turns heads!, the newer models just don't have "it". I love my classic Bimmer.
char092.gif

DFW7SIGPICMEDIUMREVISED.gif

classics are the way to go for longevity. to the op who says MB is better, you are sorely mistaken. 1200 for a coil replacement, IMO, is rape.

best bet is for a 528i, or 530i. the 530 is more reliable, and has a better torque curve. the 528 just doesnt have the oomph.

the e39 is the last good body for the 5's. after 2001, they start looking like camrys.

zingablack

livin my way the high way
Veteran
wanna start talking classics? i have an e30, 5sp. bout to drop a 2.7 super eta into and probably have the turbo done over next winter at latest. not the five series you guys are talking of... but, classic bimmers all the way!!
picking up an e36 m42 soon just for a daily while ill build my dream bimmer.