What's new

DWC, What Basic nutes do I need??

mace_ecam

your welcome Farmer John!

so if I keep plants in separate buckets, give them 0ml - 1.25ml - 2.5ml of G-M-B per Liter for veg then how often do I have to add/change the mix?
You add/change the mix when the ppm's fall (and the pH rises, weaker nutes have a higher pH than stronger nutes, you can control the pH a bit via nute strength in RO water).
Make sure you take your measurements when the res is full (topped with water), otherwise you'll just measure the tendency (more nutes or more water were used, but no idea how much).
You certainly have heard of people telling you that each plant is different and needs different nutes.. oh well, i think we all have/had very similar plants, hybrids with lot of vigor, growing fast in good conditions. By using a nute level that is not too high and not too low, we can still adjust to each plant by altering the frequency of adding/replacing the nutes. Meaning when plants eat a lots, we replace/add the nutes more often ;)
I do not recommend not changing the res without a EC/TDS meter, but some folks have a good feeling when its time to replace. GH recommends changing the res at 100% addback, that means, once you added the same amount of water that your res/bucket/tub size is, its time for new nutes. But with a small res this is not nessecarly true... sorry, can't help you much on that one.
And for bloom it'll be 0-20-40 for 10 liters?
Yes, thats correct!
Sounds like a lot of nutes
An EC of 1.9-2.0 isn't high for a plant in good conditions with a lots of light (>50W per square foot), the original GH flower formula 1/2/3 uses teaspoons as measurement(ca. 5ml) and translates into 5-10-15 ml per US gallon, thats an EC of 2.5mS/cm, even stronger than 0-8-16. Anyways, for stressed plants most nutes are to strong, the solution is to remove the stressing factors.

One problem you might run into is the low res size (don't know your light yet, just assuming its big). If the plants do use more water than nutes, your nute concentration will rise(and the pH fall), its easy to reach toxic levels like that and cause nute burns.
One way to prevent this is a big res size, another is using an automatic floatvalve for automated top offs.
Lucas recommends at least 1.6 gals, better yet 2gals per 50W of lights, that would make 16gallons(ca.60 Liters) for 400W HPS, 24gals for 600W HPS (ca. 90 Liters) and 40gals (ca. 150 Liters) for 1000W HPS.
These numbers might seem high at first, but you'll appreciate the stability, and so will your plants.
I was growing in individual 5 gal buckets, had to adjust the pH/EC once daily in late veg, and twice daily in late flower... for each bucket... worked my ass off, but still couldn't keep it stable :(
A 16gal tub for my 430W HPS did the trick for me :)

Bigger res means:
- more stable pH
- more stable EC
- more stable DO (dissolved oxygen)
- more stable nute temps

Its worth it IMO.

geez, time for me to stfu :D

mace

JBLUNTS

Hey guy. Obviously everyone uses different shit and has their own opinions.

This is what I use for DWC and it has worked AWESOME:

-FloraNova 1 part (1 part just means you only have the one bottle. With 3 part, you would have 3 bottles to mix together. The 1 part FloraNova series has all 3 mixed together basically so you only need the one bottle) nutrient (use grow during veg and bloom during flower)
-Floralicious Plus (user this all the way through; just follow directions on bottle)
-SM-90 (follow what it says on bottle. This stuff just keeps everything extra wet and also increases moisture penestration)
-Hydroguard (This is benificial bacteria for your rez. Works AWESOME! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!)
I add this all to R/O water, then I check my PH, then adjust it to about 5.7 or 5.8 using GH PH up / PH down.
I also follow this chart here for nute strength http://generalhydroponics.com/genhydro_US/pdf_ghss/fn_ss.pdf

I heard someone say that Female Seeds don't like a lot of nutes. Well I'm vegging some Female X Line White Widow x Big Bud now. My rez is at 1200PPM and my plants are flourishing like mad. Keep in mind that how much you use (i.e. 1tsp, 3ml, etc) depends on the brand of nutes you buy (i.e. General Hydro, Botanicaire, etc) I would never go DWC again without using both SM-90 and Hydroguard. If you want to keep it G, then just use exactly what I said to use above and you'll be str8. Don't slim on the Hydroguard and don't add too much Floralicious Plus (Get the "Plus" one cuz you can use it all the way through your grow).

Last edited:

Farmer John

Born to be alive.
Veteran
Yeap, thanks for the info guys, them GH flora bottles say (in finnish) that for bloom it's 5-10-15 per 10 liters of water so thats why I thought that giving the plants 0-20-40 would be quite a lot, using the basic GH formula I get great results (the way I grow, lol) but I just gotta give this Lucas formula a try, just one bucket or so, thanks for all the info this clears a lot, just build them buckets and put two C99's in flowering room..:wave:

monkeyman

mace_ecam said:
Yes NiteTiger, we used to call the FloraNova "FloraLucas", comparing 8ml of FNB per gallon to 0-8-16 is like playing spot the difference lol, its minimal. Seems like some GH employee is into pot :D and made GH produce the FN series, but unfortunately the recommendations for the nute strength are way to high, 15ml would burn any hydro (and probably soil) plant.

spot the difference

You can grow without the veg bottle, in DWC its even better, because the veg contains more ammonia, a very hot form of N, combined with a very fast release medium like in DWC this can easily lead to burn and is too hot for the roots, so hot that it prevents proper root development. IOW, the less ammonia in DWC the better.

Personally, i believe that a small amount ammonia is good for the development of seedlings, but i also disrecommend using seedlings in DWC, clones only.

A word on additives, when someone is saying ie. use calmag to correct this and that deficiency, in most cases you could just use more of your "basic" nutes, calmag is almost a complete fert in it self, people that use "half strength of basic nutes" tend to love it ;)

mace

Can you use this for both the Veg and the flower cycle or is there somethign different to get for veg?

mace_ecam

Farmer John, can you get me the NPK ratio on the GH Europe bottles?

monkeyman, the dif between the veg and the flower is the strength, 0-5-10 vs. 0-8-16.

Latest posts

Latest posts