What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DWC, slow to no growth, can't figure out why

RedReign

I have been dealing with this for more than a month, and I can't find the problem. I have tried everything I can think of. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

About a month ago I put 24 rooted clones in 3 30 gal Rubbermaid tubs, 8 clones per tub. I put 6 mls of FloraNova Grow, 5 mls of Hydroguard, and 5 mls of 3D Organics Third Eye (a root enhancing fungi blend) per gallon of tap water in each tub. They grew a couple of inches in the first 3 days like normal, and then they just sat there for about 10 days, very little to no growth. The tubs were under 2 6 bulb T5's and a 430 HPS, in a room with excellent temps and airflow. Each tub has a GH 4 outlet airpump and 4 6" airstones, so the roots have plenty of air.

I figured it had to be the Third Eye since I had never used it before. So I emptied the tubs and cleaned them with a mild beach solution. I rinsed the tubs very well and also rinsed off the roots of each plant/netpot. The roots looked perfect and there was no bugs, root rot, etc. I refilled the tubs 6mls of FloraNova Bloom per gallon and tap water, nothing else. They seemed to do better, grew a couple of more inches the first 3 or 4 days, and then the same thing happened, little to know growth for the next week or so.

At this point I figure it has to be the tap water, which was 8.2 ph, 125 ppm and a little cloudy at first, but it would clear up in about 5 seconds. I installed a Merlin Pro and the water is now 7.5 ph and 10-20 ppm. So this time I move the tubs into another room and put them under 2k MH. This room is sealed, with CO2 (about 700 ppm for veg), A/C, good airflow, etc. Pretty much ideal conditions just like the last room. I filled the tubs with 6mls of FloraNova Bloom again, but this time it was from a brand new bottle, and the RO water. Again they looked like they were coming around for the first few days and then nothing for the next week or so.

Each time the tubs were about 1.5 EC (750 ppms), 5.8 ph, and water temps about 70 degrees. Pretty much ideal rez conditions. So I decided to push them up to 2 EC. That was about a week ago and they still aren't growing and still look like crap.

The PH and EC have been very steady during this whole ordeal. The rez temps have been perfect the whole time, there are no bugs, there are no signs of root rot. Conditions have pretty much been ideal during this whole ordeal.

I have grown in DWC for the last 7+ years and have never had any type of growth issue. More often than not they would veg too fast. I vegged 8 plants per 30 gal tub under a 430 hps, with tap water and 6 mls per gallon of FloraNova Bloom the whole time.

I am at my wits end. I don't understand how this set up worked perfect for me for many years and now I'm having these problems. The only changes have been the new location, new tubs (but the exact same brand and size), and the tap/RO water at the new site.

Here are some pics.

Last edited:
S

Sir_Nugget

hi, what your experiencing is typical when using tap water. Switch to using distilled, reverse osmosis, or purified water @ 0 ppm. Your tap water has manierals that is messing up ur grow, and algae will start to grow in clear containers sooner or later... I Use 5 gallon black buckets and lids with perfect plants

RedReign

Sir Nugget, I thought it had to be the tap water at the new place, since that was the only thing that was really different from my last grow spot. I have been using RO water for over a week, nothing has changed.

medfinder, I will take a close look at them. But I have the same strains at the same age in soil and they are doing fine.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Sir_Nugget said:
Switch to using distilled, reverse osmosis, or purified water @ 0 ppm. Your tap water has manierals that is messing up ur grow
Distilled water is dead water and best left to car batteries and ironing clothes. Nutes are specifically made to lack vital elements they expect us to add with tap water. Use of RO will require additives such as CalMag or Epsom Salts.

Sounds like you're doing everything right.:bashhead: I'm using 7.6 pH, 0.5 EC tap water. I too would've first pinnned blame on the new kid and done a 5% bleach solution for cleaning. I'd probably try it without the Hydrogaurd, too. With res temps at 70º or less, I don't know that you need it. After that, I'd start wondering if I picked the wrong mother

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
maxxim said:
Is that really true or just old wives tale?
Seems to be true, would suck if you couldn't use tap because of toxicity.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
maxxim said:
Yep. They even make double extra lacking formulas for hard water. I don't know the "proper" term here. Secondary, trace ...? There's a word for elements that may only be needed in small quantities but those quantities are vital. Calcium and magnesium are the biggies (hence products like CalMag for RO) In a tap water grow, deficiencies in these areas usually means bad pH and lockout. In RO/distilled grows (without CalMag or Epsom Salts) it usually means deprivation.

Weedninja

maxxim said:
Yeah, it's true. As FB pointed out, GH makes a hardwater micro for the Flora series nutes. It's not the easiest thing to find, but it is out there.

burnt out og'er
Veteran
Distilled water is dead water and best left to car batteries and ironing clothes. Nutes are specifically made to lack vital elements they expect us to add with tap water. Use of RO will require additives such as CalMag or Epsom Salts.

Some tap water just plain sucks ass for plants. In such cases its alot easier to eliminate it and run distilled or ro water and supplement it with with calmag plus. Often with gh flora series everything is fine in distilled or ro with just a dash of epsom salts (1/8th to 1/4th teaspoon per gallon), and no calmag at all.

How about an update RedReign ?

burnt out og'er
Veteran
Its probably nothing worth worrying about, but I'm also curious RedReign, is this the first grow you've used that 'reflectex' material in ?

Last edited:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Use of RO will require additives such as CalMag or Epsom Salts.

Unless you use RO and the Lucas Formula.

I'm telling you FreezerBoy I've used both the 3-part and the FN line and if you mix it exactly, there aren't any deficiencies. I only use RO water.

Now... .when I've forgotten to shake a nute a time or two before mixing, I've gotten deficiencies in my grows that looked like cal/mag before. Switching to new, properly shaken, nutes fixed it.

I've run 20 different strains in the same bubbler in a SOG before without any issues whatsoever, DWC. 0 deficiencies, just beautiful. :)

I LOVE your setup Freeze, I love your grows and look forward to seeing more of them. :)

Great....... this post I'm about to hit the button on makes me look like a Floranova fanboy. In retrospect, so do a lot of my other posts. Hrmmmmmm......

Well. If I gotta say this much about it.... It's GOtta be good! LOL

Floranova is your friend.

Grow 5ml/gal during Veg.
Bloom 8ml/gal during Bloom.

RO water only, no additives, just super happy, super delicious cannabis.
:woohoo:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
RedReign,

How much have you used that bottle of nutes? Did you ever dilute and shake it, or did you use a paint mixer to stir it?

I'm still wondering what to call it when you do that, not shake it properly and pour out an unevenly mixed solution, leaving a non-balanced solution left in the bottle.

I think the 3-part Micro I still have is bad like that, haven't gotten around to re-testing since I switched to the Floranova line.

If you mix that stuff REALLY well and you're using a new bottle, then....
When you run your finger along the inside of your res, just above the water line, is it kinda slimy? I mean, just barely?

Your plants look like ones I had in a 5gal bucket one time. Some kind of brown slime that slowly, ever so slowly built up.

Weedhound

Grower
ICMag Donor
Some tap water just plain sucks ass for plants. In such cases its alot easier to eliminate it and run distilled or ro water and supplement it with with calmag plus. Often with gh flora series everything is fine in distilled or ro with just a dash of epsom salts (1/8th to 1/4th teaspoon per gallon), and no calmag at all.

How about an update RedReign ?

I totally agree with this. Some water is just crappy for growing and that's a fact. The only thing I would change is to say yes on Calmag...no on epsom salts and the extra sodium in it unless needed for a quick fix only.

Disclaimer: I have never used Flora Nova nutes so cant say whether they have enough Calcium or magnesium etc......the folks who DO use it say it does so I'll go with that.

Last edited:

RedReign

It was root rot.

I know I said that the roots were fine, but I was wrong. They were the regular 'Floranova stained' brown color. There wasn't any slime, smell, or PH drop, so I thought the roots were fine.

I decided to switch over to GH 3 part, so I cleaned the tubs and air lines, and used new airstones. Before I put the plants in the tubs with the GH 3 part, I rinsed the netpots/hydroton/roots off in the sink. As I ran my fingers over the roots, the roots started falling off. I removed all the 'bad' roots and the plants were left with about 30% 'good' roots.

I added 2ml per gal of Dutchmaster Zone to 1.5 ec of GH 3 part, and set the plants in their new home. They doubled in size over the next week or so, and spit out a bunch of bright white roots. I thought they were going to be fine, but they stopped growing a couple of days later and started looking like crap again. The roots were turning brown and pulled right off again. I'm guessing the Zone evaporated about a week in.

I was going to scrap the plants, but I decided to put half of them in coco and the other half in Hempy buckets. They are coming around slowly but surely, with the coco plants doing better.

About 2 1/2 weeks ago I put some 3" seedlings in a tub with 1 ec of GH 3 part and 1 ml per gal of Zone, using RO water. They grew great and were 12" tall about 3 days ago. These plants never saw tap water or the 3rd Eye root enhancer, those are the only differences. So the problem had to be one of the two.

I'm not sure things are fine yet. The 12" tall seed plants had bright white roots, but there were a couple of brown streaks in each of the plants roots. I put them into the flower room 4 days ago. I'm hoping for the best, but those brown streaks have me worried. I figure if the seed plants turn out fine, I'll continue to grow with DWC. If the roots brown and rot again, I'll have to switch to a different grow method.

I read the 'Brown Algae Snot' thread, and I have been having the same symptoms, minus the 'snot'. There may be something in the water that will not 'allow me' to grow DWC at this site.

10K, I am half way through my second run, in dirt, in the room with Reflectix.

Last edited:

Weedhound

Grower
ICMag Donor
My personal opinion ONLY:

Use Rhizotonic and Cannazym from the Canna Line of products and your root rot probs will become history.